Want To Start My Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
D!zzzy said:
Hello Im new to the forums and I have been wanting to build my own MC costume for a long time now, but im only 12, so my supplys are limited but i can afford clay and stuff like that. I dont care how detailed the suit would be. I just want a suit I can wear, Even a helmet would be the coolest thing ever for me to wear.

Im not asking for anyone to build a suit for me or anything, but just explain of what I need and things like that.
I would very appreciate it, and Ive been looking at bunches of posts and it seems a little hard but I think if I take my time with it, I could make a helmet or something.

The reason im not buying a suit is because first:im 12, and only 4ft 8in and I dont think anyone sells things that small. Second: Id be a lot more proud if I just made one myself.

I know everyone is going to say "start with PEP" but I really dont want to waist my time.
I know that id need padding and a visor for the helmet and armor, Im not stupid.
I know this takes months to do, but like I said already, If I take my time I could make something.
My dad has a bunch of tools i can use for sculpting and smoothing (using sand paper stuff) the armor.

So like I said can someone take me through what Id need (materials, tools, etc..) stuff like that I would totally love you (not like that lol)

i suppose i could make you a helmet, send me a pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
feigned-echo said:
just do a search bud, you will find everything you need, but some of the things you need to make the armor are very toxic, i don't think your parents would be too hot on the idea of you working with toxic resin.

i found the list.

yeah dude, although guys like link and sean make it look easy, its not.
the PLUS side is that because these guys know wat they're doing, they know how to help with sum of the rlly irritating crap. all you gotta do is ask.

and be glad you thought of making one before you got into high school....i wasnt that fortunate. being jobless at 17 AND wanting a badass set of SPARTAN II armor is NOT in the least bit well to manage.

the best advice i can give you is to make mistakes. you gotta learn sumhow.

good luck. chances are you'll get a full set before i do. hope it goes well.

D!zzzy said:
I dont think I asked for someone to tell me how to make one .. I asked what I would need to make it like tools and materials..
Well you don't have to be rude,
Although you have a point, so does he, READ THE STICKIES! I don't know how many of us it takes to get you to do that, we'd be willing to help if you'd let us help you.
READ THE STICKIES AND LEARN FROM TRIAL AND ERROR AND READING LIKE MOST OF US DID, WE'LL HELP YOU THROUGH IT, JUST PAY ATTENTION.

-Justin

damasterchief said:
lol im 12 2 lol... i tryed cardboard it went pretty good but im going 2 try molding just puttine it out there

You shouldnt even be playing halo.Not to be a jerk or anything.

My opinion is start out with a few pepakura models. I was originally going to do a molded suit, but found out how much it involved. Once i discovered pepakura, as i thought pepakura was a material not a program, i immediately switched to it. It requires less work, and with a little effort, can easily look as good as molded armor. If you want more info. feel free to pm me or you can just check out the stickies in the "pepakura and cardboard armor" topic. Sorry guys if this considered to be in the wrong section, but i decided it might be better to post this here for other new people to see as well. But no matter what method you choose to make your suit, good luck to you. :)

D!zzzy said:
I know everyone is going to say "start with PEP" but I really dont want to waist my time.
That's a insult, I made my pep armor and did not waste my time, sculpting and making armor molded can take longer than making an entire suit of pep. And if you cant afford many things no you need for molding, then forget molding, because making a suit will cost over 1000 dollars, a pep suit itself still cost over 100 dollars.

Yes, I thought I was going to mold my armor, then I saw Adam's Video when he said "Make sure you do this right the first time brcause you dont want to spend another $300 making another one" and that was just for the torso!

Wow, what a welcome. True, he should have read around, but he was at least polite. Pepboy, you should be ashamed. This is not halo CE.

Somewhat OT: Should we try to get together and write a full-length tutorial for a complete armor? It seems to me that stickies aren't the best way to learn everything, if there was just a step-by-step of everything, all choices made, etc, a lot of these threads would die down.

Perhaps a halo costuming wiki? We could take our time and put together a few different methods from start to finish, i.e. a pep suit, a molded and cast suit, a CNC and cast suit, etc..

I have access to cheap hosting and a lot of wiki experience, should I set this up?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this , but , I've heard a lot about styrene on these forums. I've been sculpting and molding things ( on a smaller scale ...usually 1/6th scale , about 12 inches tall) and I still don't want to take the jump and sculpt a suit.

Pep. seems it can be very good and somewhat cheap , if you can put the time into it. Sculpting can be good , if you have the resources and the extra amounts of time. And styrene seems like a good medium too. - Look at Sean's suit. He used styrene backed by fiberglass and it looks Fantastic!

So , I suppose if your comfortable with a medium and like it , and it can apply here , give it a go.

Good Luck.

-Joe

*Edit*

About a Costuming Wiki : http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia

I think they (wikia.com) give out free "sites". Well...it's not a stand alone site , but , a page/object in the header. like www.halocos.wikia.com

Either way , I think a small wiki would be a great idea!

-Joe

NMJ Its SmartyP from RS Yak and JD glad to have you over here. :p
Problem with Styrene is you are not going to be cutting and bonding like we are used to. We will be using techniques more like what OwenD uses. Heat guns bending the plastics to get the right shape if you were to use it for this endeavor.

Since we are customizers at heart. I know we would like to make it from the ground up but, I'm seriously looking at kits and then modding the kits to make my specific armor.

Ah Ha..heres the link I was looking for : http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_materials.html

Owen does do some fantastic work with styrene. ( check out http://www.owenscustoms.com/ )

Still though , clay/styrene are the mediums I'm most familiar with , styrene even more than clay , and , even though some different tools are needed *like a heat gun or something to warm the styrene for shaping* I figure (hope) I'll give it a shot.

Now to get large quantities of styrene...to the internet!

-Joe

*Edit* B&GProps , I just realized that you said you were Smarty Pants. :D . Glad to be here. Also good to see another scummer/jd'er over here!

-Joe

Pep is not a waste of time, it can be done faster and costs a lot less money than molded armor. I used pep for my first suit, molding it would have cost hundreds or thousands of more dollars to get a good suit. Pep is easy and accurate, its great for people new to costuming and modeling (im new to making armor).

hmm? don't you have to be 13 to join? I don't really care, but i was just saying. :)

(I made mine usin Pep, but messed it up) buuut...how much does it usually cost to buy all the supplies for molded, seems like a lot to me...I only had to spend about $20-$25 for my Pep supplies.

To me, it doesn't really matter which you choose, it depends on how much effort, and how much time, money, and labor you put into it (Yeah, I just learned that when i screwed up my armor). T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back