Warframe Weapon Build - Dera Assault Rilfe [WIP + photos]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandoore

Jr Member
Hello 405th,

So after a bit of a hiatus, moving, job hunting, and study I'm back into cosplay/prop building. Going to take it a bit slower this time, spend more effort making things nicer and to kick it off I'm doing a scratch building of the Corpus assault rifle the Dera.
250px-Dera2.png

For this build I've gone with a cardboard base, covered in fibreglass resin and detailing mainly in DAS clay (water based i think) with a layer of automotive body filler before I paint. I've already done a majority of the easy stuff, just the difficult detailing to go.

To do list
- Make up so random dimension based of ingame details and translating them to my size. [COMPLETED]
- create the base carboard layers and glue together accordingly. [COMPLETED]
- Apply layers where neccessary to the cardboard to assist in detailing. [COMPLETED]
- Resin the gun. [COMPLETED]
- resin the gun again, filling in any gaps
- apply DAS clay to areas and start fleshing out the detail
- apply bondo and smooth
- apply paint
- done, hopefully.

And finally pictures

Main body, minus the trigger guard. had difficulty with the measurements and needed to create the guard after
xppy80.jpg

finished cardboard, and leveling, onto resin.
2dtvwj8.jpg

Resin layer 1 complete, waiting for more funds to buy supplies.
14ob1xc.jpg

So yeah, just waiting for money to buy some more catalyst, then I can get on with it. I'll be trying out the DAS airdry clay, probably in white, though a terracota look would be sick. I have no idea what to expect with it, but this build has been one whole experiment and I'm surprised I have had to go back and redo anything yet.

Hope you enjoy the pictures and I'll be updating when anything major happens.

Cheers

Vandoore

Attachments

• 250px-Dera2.png
    250px-Dera2.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 238
  • xppy80.jpg
    xppy80.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 2dtvwj8.jpg
    2dtvwj8.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 14ob1xc.jpg
    14ob1xc.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 237
No pictures today, just a small update.
Ten days later and I finally got the second coat of resin, and more monies :D So I can get started on the second stage -Details- :D

I've found that the edges of the product are pretty solid, resin seems to have soaked through quite well, however in the middle there is still some give. I've got a choice of three different air dry clays, DAS, Jovi, Darwi, or Arbee. I'll be going with Das for the moment, reading a few threads in the RPF has boosted my confidence with the product. Though there is still some speculation about how much it will shrink (one person states 10-15%). I'll probably be roughing up the resin with some 100/180 grit so the clay can stick a little easier.
Also noted that bondo can hold piece ridge, potential removing the give in the weapons body. I'm hoping clay can do the same.

Here's hoping the next update will have glorious pictures and smiling faces, if not I'll probably be grumpy and go back to using bondo.

Another update for you guys, this time with pictures.
So in my haste to coat the gun in resin and try out the clay I neglected to measure and trim the centre trapezoid, I found this to be a problem when trying to clean the edges. So after about five days trying to sand, grind and file both sides into shape i've decided to remove the centre trapeze and deal with a nice flat surface and use a little more clay then usual.

qn2oo4.jpg

I've also started to fill in the gaps along the edges with resin to strengthen them, and make things nice a clean. Work has started to slow down now that the summer holidays are coming to a close so I'll have a bit more time to focus on this.
hulzly.jpg

Attachments

• qn2oo4.jpg
    qn2oo4.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 276
  • hulzly.jpg
    hulzly.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 185
Been busy at it bondo-ing the AR, sanding, bondo, sanding bondo, etc etc.
*160, 240, 40, 800, 1600, glass, ooooh pretty*

Anyone know how to get better edges? I need them really sharp but they always have a camber when i've finished.

Been busy at it bondo-ing the AR, sanding, bondo, sanding bondo, etc etc.
*160, 240, 40, 800, 1600, glass, ooooh pretty*

Anyone know how to get better edges? I need them really sharp but they always have a camber when i've finished.

Keep it up.

Use a block sander, files, or a benchtop belt sander. Trying not to sand edges with your Palm is key.

Can't wait to see some pics.

Thanks for the tips ryno, been getting a better result.

Heres one from yesterday I think
fem8zp.jpg

And these are from today

xby7fo.jpg

15yiw6u.jpg

24g9emv.jpg

Attachments

• fem8zp.jpg
    fem8zp.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 193
  • xby7fo.jpg
    xby7fo.jpg