Wearing the armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

death

Hey i am starting with my armor now, i finished assembling the helmet and i am now testing other scales. but for when it is all done, (i'm trying to get this all planned out ahead of time) how have people found was the easiest way to wear the armor. (meaning how to attach the armor to you.)

i was thinking maybe cutting the individual pieces in half, and attaching a small hinge connecting the two halves on one side (inside the piece so it is unnoticable) and a small clasp on the other, blending it in so it is also mostly unnoticeable, making putting on the armor much easier. of course, i would have to add extra padding under where the armor pieces go so that they are held up by it and dont slide down. Comments and criticism welcome on this idea, and any other possible options anyone has to offer. thanks for the help.

Straps are the easiest way, or else there is no way.

6 feet cost me 2.99 at walmart in the sewing department, rivet or hot glue them on, if you dotn want to spend money on buckes 9they cost like 2 dollars each) use velcro then, velcro the crotch pice to the torso front and back.

heres how I did mine
med_gallery_3767_179_108548.png

The torso is straped/velcro to the crotch, and the legs are all straped front and back or on the sides, I put on the legs and crotch piece like a pair of paints, then I put on the torso and velcro the crotch's straps on. Arms are strapped with velcro on the ends, so they can be taken off easily, I cant move my arms freely with the arm pieces on, so to get the arms off, I get someone else to pull them off, or just force them off real fast. Then they slide off.

so if your like me, you get a digital camera and don't use that shoulder strap thing that comes with it, use that. i have 3 of them and i don't use any.

No, you dont waste money on a camera for strapping, you buy actual strapping material from the sewing department, it's roleld into aball 6 feet long and uncut, you cut it yourself or else theres no other way to keep armor on your body. Velcro wont stick to your undersuit, so it's impossible.

You could sew velcro to the undersuit pretty easily but it wouldn't be worth it unless you use industrial velcro.

I prefer straps and buckles myself and mine is pretty much setup to be adjustable for different wearers and putting on the top half of the armor is a lot like putting on a jacket.

Just remember the theme you want here is simplicity.

Walmart sells those as replacement backpack buckles for 1.63 and it includes 6ft of strapping with it. They really work well.

Went to Wal-Mart yesterday and bought two rolls of strapping and two rolls of sticky-back velcro. Seems like it would work pretty well.

Also got 200 hot glue sticks for $8.

great ideas guys. it will help a lot. mine was pretty complicated. although, i still agree that once you get it all built, it would make putting on the armor much easier

ooh i really needed this. badly. no sarcasm intended.

couldnt i put a set of buckles between all of the arm+torso and also hook them up to the legs? it would be basically hanging.....but how to attach them.....

i used spray glue to attach visco elastic foam to a under armor shirt
the pieces slip over it pretty easy but provide enough pressure to keep from sloping around or falling off while running

cgawsome.jpg

starfox64 said:
i used spray glue to attach visco elastic foam to a under armor shirt
the pieces slip over it pretty easy but provide enough pressure to keep from sloping around or falling off while running

cgawsome.jpg

your armor looks cool.whats it made of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well add the fact that padding is probably the easiest and most comfortable ways to keep the suit in place. I padded the shin pieces and forearms. Thigh were attached with elastic straps by the crotch and industrial strength velcro sewn to the undersuit. Shoulders were connected to chest piece by velcro, and the chest plate stayed by itself (pulled over head).

Although I would very much like to see a method like the one you suggested done, as putting mine on and taking it off is a bitch.

my method? i don't see how it wouldn't work, it would be a little tough to get it all put together. but after its done, i would think putting on and taking off the armor would be much easier than having to worry about straps. Now i am still working on assembling the pieces. i have 1 calf, 1 thigh, and 1 bicep done. i have a helmet done too but its too big and i am going to make a smaller one. i also have a forearm done, but it is also too big. i am posting pics in a thread i am making titled "pep armor so far"

4ng31 said:
Might as well add the fact that padding is probably the easiest and most comfortable ways to keep the suit in place.

Although I would very much like to see a method like the one you suggested done, as putting mine on and taking it off is a bitch.

I agree that Padding is nice....using some nice, open cell foam (so it breathes) keeps the armor comfortable while holding it in place.

As to taking it on and off.....it was said in the Fall of Reach, that it took over 45 mins for techs, that were very familiar with the suits, to put it on a spartan. And personally, I plan to make it so that it's comfortable to wear, walk/run around in, and sit down in...... I mean, Spartans kinda live in that armor :p

Butt reinforcement & Padding FTW!!

~Epyon

Last edited by a moderator:
I used two velcro straps on each piece. For example on the upper arm I took one piece of velcro and glued it at an angle. Then I took another piece the same length and spaced it a few inches away at the opposite angle. Then when you put it on you attach them together as tight as you can and it seems to stay put pretty well (giving your velcro doesnt come unglued :cautious: )

to crazybunny the suit is fiberglassed pep and a underarmor t the foam came from hancock fabrics they probably have it at joannes aswell
theres 2 ways of affixing the foam the first being glue it directly to the T shirt and having the armour fit over it
the second being application directly to the armor... little tougher than the first and unless you have really beefy arms (like trogdor) or thick foam it wont be right on the first try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back