Well, It's Official. (Halo Fanfilm 3D Scene, Pic Intensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you!

Have you ever tried Cinema 4D... with your skills in a program such as Blender, I couldn't even imagine what you could do in Cinema 4D or more advanced programs.

I have not tried any other program for modelling other than Blender, but it's never too late to learn haha.

Lol. C4D isn't the be all end all of 3d programs, even though a lot of people in the YT speed modeling and graphics tutorials scene like to make it seem like it is. Blender is actually a better polygon modeling program than Cinema 4D (modeling is not C4D's strength) and Bender's Cycles renderer is better than C4D's built in renderer by miles. Blender is actually a really really nice program in a lot of areas, and using other software packages only offers marginal gains in specific areas. Maya might be slightly better for modeling, rigging, and animation, but it doesn't do texturing, rendering, and compositing as well as Blender. C4D is better for motion graphics and on par for animation but worse for modeling and rendering. Etc, etc for other programs. Putting together several into a pipeline may produce better results faster or easier than Blender, which, along with the fact that studios are deep into custom plugins and software add ons for specific "pro" applications, is the main reason that Blender isn't an industry standard.

Anyway, murishani047, you should definitely check out the Quixel suite for texturing, it's super affordable, integrates right into Photoshop, and can export straight back out to Blender Cycles. Very intuitive and powerful for doing normals and texturing. http://quixel.se The Substance suite is also really nice, but has a higher learning curve.

Glad to see another Blender supporter here. I find it amazing the quality and features it has for an open source program. I'll have to check out Quixel, I haven't heard of it. I do have to admit though, my Photoshop skills are lacking, but I am pretty good with Illustrator. I used Paint.NET for years so coming from that to Photoshop is a bit wobbly.

---

Anyway, I just have to say I'm surprised at the discussion this thread as caused, in a very good way. I did not expect anyone to think my work was that good or even care for that matter lol. Thanks for the support and I hope to get back into this project very soon!

oh wow i just joined this forum and people are doing all this awesome stuff!? i've been missing out Would love to watch this hell or even participate!

Not sure if I'm resurrecting an old thread or not. I'm sure Chernobyl will promptly let me know. :p

Any further progress on this project?? :D

Not sure if I'm resurrecting an old thread or not. I'm sure Chernobyl will promptly let me know. :p

Any further progress on this project?? :D

Sadly no, I've had to put it on the back burner for awhile with a head-on collision and a 48+ hours at work. But I haven't given up!

UPDATE!!!

Hey everyone, I'm back! Been busy with a new job, but I've got a quick update for you. I added some more detail on tie ceiling, mainly a few more pipes and emergency lights. As for lights, I have the main scene lighting set up the way I want. I also UV unwrapped the hallway (not as difficult as I thought it would be) and it turned out surprisingly ok. So here's a quick....500? I forgot. 500 sample render with UV test textures and other placeholder textures. As you can see the unwrap went a little wonky on the extruded wall panels, but not enough to give me concern given the nature of this scene. If it ain't broke don't fix it! Hopefully soon I'll get some proper bumps, normals, and textures in there. I have created some PBR shades to use in blender so that won't be a problem when I get to it.

(Best I can do on my phone is a google drive share link :p)
view

Cheers!

-S247

Attachments

• hallway5.png
    hallway5.png
    939.5 KB · Views: 259
Hey, glad to see your still making improvements on your model. I wanted to let you know that the link you provided is broken though. :unsure There is a thumbnail attached, but it is dark and grainy not sure if that was intentional. All of your other shots have been nice and shiny!

Hey, glad to see your still making improvements on your model. I wanted to let you know that the link you provided is broken though. :unsure There is a thumbnail attached, but it is dark and grainy not sure if that was intentional. All of your other shots have been nice and shiny!

Ah, good to know the link broke. As for the thumbnail the lighting is supposed to be darker than what I've posted in the past, but since there are test textures it isn't reflecting properly so it looks different. The graininess comes from the fact I only did a 50% res 500 sample to test the UV unwrapping. The final renders will be atleast 1200 samples with 100% resolution!

Small Update

Got some more texture and lighting work done last night.

hallway6.png

Edited/Update

Working on a full resolution 1000 sample render with additional textures in place, mostly on the piping but a few corrections to the bump and normal mapping of the walls and floor. My computer is horrible for rendering though so it's going to take 6 hours. Should be finished before I leave for work tomorrow! Goodnight all!

Got some more small texture updates, with a 1200 sample render. A quick note, the areas that look like the textures messed up and repeated are actually "pure" metal. They are areas of physically impossible perfectly smooth metal color. I still have to add scratches, smudges, dirt, etc to dull the metal and make it look normal.

hallway8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back