What can you use to seal and strengthen the paper pep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan117sean

Ok well I am assembling my helmet now and I intend to paper mache it. The only problem is that I think that the cardstock is going to fall apart. I dont want to use resin or anything like that to harden it. I was thinking about just sealing the cardstock and after a few coats of seal then do the paper mache.

Would that work.

Please give me some suggestions and the wat not

Like LastSpartan said, unless you SUPER saturate the cardstock with paper mache it will hold. If you are really concerned, just put little bits on at a time, or thin layers. Also, what were you going to seal the cardstock with?

Darkfire said:
Like LastSpartan said, unless you SUPER saturate the cardstock with paper mache it will hold. If you are really concerned, just put little bits on at a time, or thin layers. Also, what were you going to seal the cardstock with?

I dont know. Probably something like a coat of some kind of paint. One that was mainly waterproof.

IDK.

I barely no anything about paint and all that. I am just doing this so I can have a helmet for halloween.

I am going as MC on vacation (Basically a hawaian shirt with shorts wearing a helmet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you could try to use a two part polyester filler. Over here its the brand Motip, but im sure its in a bondo version. The only problem that you can encounter is that the top over your helmet become have and collapse. There for you should work your way up, the filler isn't wet and is easy use and easy to sand down.

I did paper mache on mine and it worked fine. you just have to get a 60:40 ratio of glue to water.
Cut out 1in by 3-4 in strips of news paper and dont concentrate on one area. move around and try to smooth out lumps.
I also made a paste mixture from wood glur, elmers glue, flour and water. I brushed that on in several coats.
Then i got a acrylic spray and multiple thins layers

Or just fiberglass! Cheap quick and simple. Not to mention tough as nails. I had like 20 people sock my helmet in school today. Not a scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back