What Glue???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big John

Hi All

I am UK based and I have been looking at the different kind of glue people use, I have seen Barge Cement that is not available in the UK and would be interested to know what other members in the UK use?

I know about the hot glue gun but just looking at alternatives.

I have seen the Evo - Stick Time Bond Contact Adhesive, has anyone used this and is it any good???

I know about the hot glue gun but just looking at alternatives.

If you're referring to glues for Pepakura projects, I wouldn't recommend this, honestly. Every attempt I've had with one of those things has ended up in complete and total failure.

I personally use UHU All-Purpose Adhesive - it comes in a yellow and black box, and you can pick it up from places such as Poundland, B&Q or Hobbycraft pretty cheaply. If you can't get your hands on it, I'd suggest similar alternatives - any form of all-purpose adhesive will work fine, but you're going to want to find a product that will do the following for you:

- Give you a short period of time to re-adjust your pieces before it sets
- Not dry out before you've actually joined your tabs up
- Function well and not dissolve/break apart when you harden your pieces

Good luck with your work, regardless!

I tried using hot glue early on, and it wasn't worth it. I had to at times re-melt the glue to adjust things because it dried to quickly. I started using wood glue and found it to dry quickly enough. Early on there were problems where I accidentally used too much glue by squeezing it onto the tab and created more work for myself (and some warping in those areas). However, I found that putting some on a piece of cardboard or in a cup and using a paperclip (or more recently a paint eraser because it has a thin rubber tip) and dipping it into the glue then spreading just what you need on the tab works well, at least for me.

You could try contact cement. I believe it is also call rubber cement. Most craft stores have it world wide under one name or another. Another location you could try are hobby stores that specialize in trains. They would carry contact cement. Also, in regards to glue, I agree, don't put the tube directly to the piece. I use a Popsicle stick to spread the glue. Put a nice dollop on a sacrificial piece and just dip in to it each time you need. Don't over do it and add more as needed, this way you don't waste you glue. Once the tip gets a bit guncky w/ glue, cut of the end and you have a whole new applicator.

I would definitely use a high temp hot glue gun for the bulk of your building (aka, the main structural pieces of your armor). I use contact cement for thin (2mm)craft foam details. I'm not too familiar with the European market, but I would assume contact cement would be available at either hardware or hobby stores. I wouldn't be too concerned about matching the brand with what we use over here in North America, but be sure to test unfamiliar products on scrap pieces of foam before applying it to your project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back