What is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do make sure that you scale the pepakura models before you print them out. Here's the thread for the explanation - the original model is supposed to be for a 7' 2" human, and you will look like a bizarre Pez dispenser if you make the helmet that big (also considering that you're 15 and still growing). You will need to scale the helmet using a different number than the rest of your armor, though, so keep that in mind as well. Some trial and error will be required there. My first helmet ended up being about the right size for a garden gnome (well, maybe not that small). Take two is going much, much better.

Don't freak out if an armor piece is too long or short! That's the glory of cardstock - you can add where you need it, and take it away where you don't. I'm a bit short and stocky, so I had to trim the arms/legs, and add a bit around the waist. Okay, maybe more than a bit...

As for glue, for most of my work I've been using an Avery Glue Pen ($3 for a 2-pack at Staples). You'll churn through them pretty fast, so get extras, but you won't burn your hands (as you would with hot glue), and you won't fuse your fingers together (Krazy Glue). The drawback to the Glue Pens is that it doesn't work all that great for those tiny flaps - masking tape can help there. Also, pay attention to the thread concerning folds. It will add a bunch of time to your build, but it's worth it in the end. Bad folds = bad piece. I've been cutting with my trusty pair of scissors, too, and getting good results.

And finally (sorry, I do tend to ramble), the length of your build depends both on your attention to detail, and the quality you want your project to produce. Some people want the best they can afford, and others are content for something that looks cool from a distance. It's up to you.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back