What Makes A Good Pepakura Unfold

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapperbullet

The title says it all, what makes a pepakura file a good unfold?

I'm looking at Belakor's pipboy trying to unfold it (first time trying any unfold)

Lots of pieces, when connecting they fold under other pieces(after the initial unfold).

trying to figure this out so i can maybe manipulate it into 2 halfs for a build.

one major thing i like when folding a pep file is when the unfolder organizes the pieces... sure sometime this takes up a couple more sheets of paper, but the ease of pepping a well organized unfold is worth it... cutting 3 whole pages where every piece on those pages connect is fantastic. my pepping goes cut out a couple pieces, score, glue, Repeat. And having to flip through a bunch of pages and cut 5 pieces out of 5 different pages isnt fun.

SNAFU said:
The title says it all, what makes a pepakura file a good unfold?

I'm looking at Belakor's pipboy trying to unfold it (first time trying any unfold)

Lots of pieces, when connecting they fold under other pieces(after the initial unfold).

trying to figure this out so i can maybe manipulate it into 2 halfs for a build.

Yeah, I too wanted to make that pipboy. But after looking at the pep file, it seemed to me that Belakor's file was just the rough and raw obj file directly out of the game. The pipboy is made up of several (like 7 or so) individual pieces with intersecting geometries. I ended up teaching myself Blender so that I could clean it up and make it into a single object without any impossible geometries. I probably should have simplified the actual shape of the model while I was at it since it's still a very complicated shape to unfold, but maybe next time.... If you want the pdo, let me know. You'll probably have to change the scale a little bit and maybe reshuffle some pieces on the paper layout. But it's unfolded and everything and won't give you the impossible intersections that the other one has.

Are you doing a full costume, or just the pipboy? I have lofty goals of doing a full Enclave suit, but I'm having to do all the legwork myself since I haven't seen anything but the rough obj files on the interwebs with the exception of the Enclave helm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back