What Route should I take for handplate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybunny

Jr Member
Alright. I just finished the hand plate file from robo(thanx man), but the low detail one, cause i wanted to do it quickly. Im wondering, should I resin, glass, and bondo it, or put details INSIDE like coins for the holes, etc, and fill it with resin or plaster, then mold that. What would be easier, and what would have better results.

I think for best results with little materials, use robo's detailed plates, if you want quality products, they have to be made quality.

I dont have little materials though. I want to do either of the 2, so i can mold it.Im adding details myself using card board or plastic or something.

The best look will be using robo's just because it is correctly leveled with the little indents in the middle, making indents with bondo would require you to layer more ontop the flat surface, which makes a CHUNKY hand plate.

Alright, i wont bondo it, but i did see someone put these round things INSIDE the hand plate, and poured resin inside of the fiberglassed plate, with those knobs inside, making the holes he wanted. Ill see if i can find it

Well I wouldnt say no to bondo, a folded line will always be angular to some degree, the holes in robo's aren't perfectly rounded, so you will need a small dab of bondo to smoothen it, but whatever is easier for you, as long as you know what you are doing, you can make it look nice.

crazybunny said:
Alright. I just finished the hand plate file from robo(thanx man), but the low detail one, cause i wanted to do it quickly. Im wondering, should I resin, glass, and bondo it, or put details INSIDE like coins for the holes, etc, and fill it with resin or plaster, then mold that. What would be easier, and what would have better results.

I think that redoing the hand plates with the high-detail ones would be faster, easier, and look better than trying to do all the details with bondo and such later.
You would only have to do a little bit of smoothing on it, rather than having to actually make all the details. As far as I've seen, most people make the holes to big, small, deep, shallow, etc. But it's your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I'm an expert - but here's my opinion based on my experiences thus far -
The better model you start with, the better outcome you'll have. Or, the more work you put in the beginning means less work at the end.
What I'm saying is that it's easier to start with a more detailed, well-built model and go from there than it is to have a sub-par model and fix it later.

I know that once you spend hours cutting, folding, and gluing paper, you really get attached to it. In my opinion, it's better to scrap the model and start again.

Robogenisis said:
I think that redoing the hand plates with the high-detail ones would be faster, easier, and look better than trying to do all the details with bondo and such later.
You would only have to do a little bit of smoothing on it, rather than having to actually make all the details. As far as I've seen, most people make the holes to big, small, deep, shallow, etc. But it's your choice.
Exactally what I said :p

More work in pep = less work later on.

I thought about doing what you are doing. But trust me its alot faster to just do the detailed model. By the way it sounds you want the most detail possible. The way you want to go you will spend about 30 min to make it + about 96446491 hours to get the detail you want. Or you can go the way of detailed pep and spend about 1-2 hours making it then all you need to do is glass it and then smooth it out because all the detail you need is right there. Heres some pics of the hand peice I just finished last night. Trust me its worth the pain in the butt to start over.

hand003.jpg

hand004.jpg

Hand plates to glass, you would need to cut them open, but then again, I did for mine, they look odd because of their height, so I sliced the bottom out, then resin and glassed, looks better.

AoBfrost said:
Hand plates to glass, you would need to cut them open, but then again, I did for mine, they look odd because of their height, so I sliced the bottom out, then resin and glassed, looks better.

There is no bottom on this model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back