What should I 'attempt' to make a Halo 4 Assault Rifle from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have tried...
Wood (Went normal... My dad made me that)
Pepakura (Went ok from the side, but it looked all warped)
Cardboard (Went REALLY bad)
and I got my great uncle to import a buzz bee toy in to the UK for me.
So, I was wondering... What should I make it out of? I can get hold of CNC machines, but I'm worried if I do that, since its metal, it's going to be really heavy.

Any tips or ideas?

EVA foam? There are some nice examples, like the M8 from DeadlyNinja:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39224-Mass-Effect-EVA-foam-build
(she also has a blog with more photos)

Some people got good results by modifying nerf guns and such, too...

Like the Nerf Fyrefly. It's got a bullpup, rear-load style reciever, and you can attatch a longer barrel. Granted, to work past the friction and similar issues that come with modifications, you may have to turn up the ampage on the battery pack, or convert it to co2 power.

So... No-one thinks using CNC is a good idea?

I wouldn't recommend metal, unless you are very skilled working with metal. The cons are that it's very difficult to work with, very heavy, might be mistaken for a real weapon/ not allowed in conventions or parties, and paint chips off easier. I personally love working with plastic and wood. Plastics are very light, rigid yet mods easily, can be expensive in sheets though. Wood is very sculptable (soft woods such as pine), both create a mess when sanding, but that's nothing major. Pepakura is the way to go also, if you can get it down, and afford the supplies. Pay close attention to the tutorials for pepakura, actually in the long run, this is most likely the cheapest and best way to go. I personally don't like using foam except for void filling so I don't waste so much epoxy and bondo. Foam isn't rigid enough, and it doesn't hold enough detail for my liking. I found that they sell 1/4" thick wood boards at Lowes of different lengths and widths, fairly small enough for hobbying. I forget the type of wood I got, it wasn't pine and definitly not oak, oak is way too hard to work with. Anyway, just ask an associate, and he will help you get the right type of wood for hobbying. I hope this helps. Oh, and read, read, and read some more on the tutorials. Whatever your plan, something similar and better has probably already been done on here. Welcome to the 405th!

I want to fly the flag for foam a bit as it's my main build material.
I've built my suits and so far a pistol from halo using foam and i've got great results also it is pretty tough stuff. I've got some tutorials on how to use it linked in my signature.
As an example of what you can achieve heres a picture of my gun build. (ignore the paint job its not my strong point ;P)

DE76300F-D7EE-415D-AA9C-1AEF306D5309-14990-000012958902895D.jpg

I wouldn't recommend metal, unless you are very skilled working with metal. The cons are that it's very difficult to work with, very heavy, might be mistaken for a real weapon/ not allowed in conventions or parties, and paint chips off easier. I personally love working with plastic and wood. Plastics are very light, rigid yet mods easily, can be expensive in sheets though. Wood is very sculptable (soft woods such as pine), both create a mess when sanding, but that's nothing major. Pepakura is the way to go also, if you can get it down, and afford the supplies. Pay close attention to the tutorials for pepakura, actually in the long run, this is most likely the cheapest and best way to go. I personally don't like using foam except for void filling so I don't waste so much epoxy and bondo. Foam isn't rigid enough, and it doesn't hold enough detail for my liking. I found that they sell 1/4" thick wood boards at Lowes of different lengths and widths, fairly small enough for hobbying. I forget the type of wood I got, it wasn't pine and definitly not oak, oak is way too hard to work with. Anyway, just ask an associate, and he will help you get the right type of wood for hobbying. I hope this helps. Oh, and read, read, and read some more on the tutorials. Whatever your plan, something similar and better has probably already been done on here. Welcome to the 405th!

I was going to use a machine just to make a gun I use as a mold, then make a cast. I have my dad as well, he's been a CNC engineer for about 14 years now so I thought he could make it that bit easier. The only problem is I haven't found a model which I don't need to convert, but someone linked me to another one which looks a lot better. I need to check later though, know for certain. I still don't understand how someone used another CNC machine to make the high detail RoadWarrior AR.

I want to fly the flag for foam a bit as it's my main build material.
I've built my suits and so far a pistol from halo using foam and i've got great results also it is pretty tough stuff. I've got some tutorials on how to use it linked in my signature.
As an example of what you can achieve heres a picture of my gun build. (ignore the paint job its not my strong point ;P)

DE76300F-D7EE-415D-AA9C-1AEF306D5309-14990-000012958902895D.jpg

I heard of using foam, I don't think I'll be ever to get any detail like yours or DFT. I would probably only come out with the shape, and how hard is the foam? I always think of it being flimsy and easy to break, but I don't know.

I heard of using foam, I don't think I'll be ever to get any detail like yours or DFT. I would probably only come out with the shape, and how hard is the foam? I always think of it being flimsy and easy to break, but I don't know.

No it's high density so it's very durable. My entire suits made from it and when you add a layer of PlastiDip and another couple of paint it hardens right up. It still has some flex but nothing that's going to cause problems

No it's high density so it's very durable. My entire suits made from it and when you add a layer of PlastiDip and another couple of paint it hardens right up. It still has some flex but nothing that's going to cause problems

Never heard of PlasticDip. Plus, I don't know where to get foam from. I've never seen any stores sell it near me.

eBay. Just search for EVA foam and PlastiDip is also on eBay but probably cheaper from PlastiDip uk. Watch my tutorials if you haven't already. I've got it all covered in there so you can see how to go about it all

eBay. Just search for EVA foam and PlastiDip is also on eBay but probably cheaper from PlastiDip uk. Watch my tutorials if you haven't already. I've got it all covered in there so you can see how to go about it all

Great tutorials! I will consider trying to make a gun this way, but first I do want to try the CNC machines. Thought I could just get a 3D model and be done with it, but it's not that easy. Wish it was..

I agree with Mike plastidip is cheapest from their UK site. As for foam it's tricky getting a good deal as the cheaper suppliers have all stopped selling it on eBay. I was lucky and bought a big batch in what must have been a clear out.

Foams a good way to start out as its relatively cheap to do in the long run. Plus you can get mats at about £2-3 each on eBay so you can buy a couple and have a go and see how you do with it. You can buy small paint tins of plastidip too as they go a really long way. Think a 400ml will last you a while. I bought a 2.5ltr tin and its still going.

I agree with Mike plastidip is cheapest from their UK site. As for foam it's tricky getting a good deal as the cheaper suppliers have all stopped selling it on eBay. I was lucky and bought a big batch in what must have been a clear out.

Foams a good way to start out as its relatively cheap to do in the long run. Plus you can get mats at about £2-3 each on eBay so you can buy a couple and have a go and see how you do with it. You can buy small paint tins of plastidip too as they go a really long way. Think a 400ml will last you a while. I bought a 2.5ltr tin and its still going.

I don't think think the price of the foams matter. I'm spending quite a bit on this project. For the metal it's going to cost £70-£80 and then I have to make a mold and paint it. Plus there is the electronics. I don't know how this is going not finish ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back