What's A Good Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

City Static

Jr Member
I would like to post pics of my armor, but sadly I don't have a camera. I know nothing about cameras, so I'm relying on you guys to help me out. What is a cheap, but good quality camera?

erm not cheap but but baddass are the nikon d series.

if you just want a normal one i suggest the lumix from panasonic, the latest version is 11 megapixels and only costs 270 euro. My sis has this one and is all happy she has it. Also includes auto contrast, zoom to 6 times, etc.

Electronics%20Digital%20Camera%20Panasonic%20Lumix%20DMC%20FX33-Hero1422382555977.jpg

i got a crappy one from Wally Mart for arouind $20 but its 5.1 mega pixel and it suck sometimes the pictures are blurry. Its a good little camera when you need one, i dont want to buy an expensive one yet i would only you a more expensise camera when not using and resin or bondo be cause my crap camera is caked with resin.
(y) with Rundown also

The Sony Cybershot line of cameras is a good mid range camera that will get you by. Olympus used to make a really good 5 megapixel camera with zoom enhancement that took better pictures than my 7.1 megapixel Cybershot. Cannon also makes incredible 8 megapixel cameras, a bit pricier but well worth it.

If you really want to go big get one of the big Olympus or Nikkon Digital SLR cameras. They are expensive but they will do anything and everything.

Th3 FETT MAN said:
i got a crappy one from Wally Mart for arouind $20 but its 5.1 mega pixel and it suck sometimes the pictures are blurry. Its a good little camera when you need one, i dont want to buy an expensive one yet i would only you a more expensise camera when not using and resin or bondo be cause my crap camera is caked with resin.
(y) with Rundown also

That's why I hate technology sometimes :lol:

My 3.1 MP Olympus cost me 350$ back in the days.

Now, it's worth less than 10$.

But seriously, for "macro" pictures (Pictures of still and near objects), number of MP won't affect is as much as huge field kind of picture.

I think my 3.1MP pictures are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a sony cybershot DSCW-150 Thing is small, but takes amazing photos Even has 1080 capabilities. I got it for a good deal only 160$ (normal price is like 250$) for a reason. Its good for a casual camera

Megapixel rating isn't nearly as important as the physical size of the image sensor. For example, my Nikon D40 is 6 megapixels while my Dad's little point and shoot is 12... but my d40 undeniably takes better pictures. I'm not saying you should buy a DSLR, but that you need to look at more than megapixels. The more pixels are shoved into a small sensor, the less light each pixel can pick up, which means longer exposures, which means blurry pictures. (Ever wonder why DSLRs are so huge? That's why.)

Unique Name said:
Megapixel rating isn't nearly as important as the physical size of the image sensor. For example, my Nikon D40 is 6 megapixels while my Dad's little point and shoot is 12... but my d40 undeniably takes better pictures.
I would argue that the image difference is more due to the optics used. Even the entry-level lens for a DSLR will give a superior performance to the optics found in those little P&S cameras. I do agree that the Nikon D series DLSRs are outstanding. I can't quite justify getting a D90 but a D60 is within reach.

Anyway, for something less than $150, you can't go wrong with the Canon Powershot A series cameras.

Not sure about normal cameras, but as most have said, the Nikon D60 is the best entry level DSLR, l got mine with 2 lenses, a bag and an 8gb SD card for $1500 AUD a few months ago.

cannon cameras have the best image sensors in consumer cameras and a very good value for money ratio.

don't buy sony, especially the consumer models are not good and not good value either.

@Ral Partha: not quite, the image sensor is the most important thing (especially with consumer cameras), as good dynamic sensors can cope with a wide range of conditions (too bright, too dark, etc). It's just that the companies can't afford to put bad sensor chips in a 1000$ DSLR.

I have a Canon Powershot SD1100 IS (Digital Elph). It's a mid range point and click, aimed at your average consumer. I use it when I want a lightweight camera to take with me. At 8 Megapixels, the quality is excellent for printing.

Suggested Retail: $179.99

Canon SD1100 IS

Here's a photo my husband took with it (and he knows minimum about the camera):

3626932573_a0b8bcfbbf.jpg

Ral Partha said:
I would argue that the image difference is more due to the optics used. Even the entry-level lens for a DSLR will give a superior performance to the optics found in those little P&S cameras.

I agree that optics definitely make the camera these days. While in the early days of digital cameras, pixel count was the key limiting factor, we are now to the point where optics are once again the limiting factor.

For what its worth, I use the EOS Rebel XS and have been fairly pleased until I got it wet and the light meter stopped working properly.

Yttrium said:
I agree that optics definitely make the camera these days. While in the early days of digital cameras, pixel count was the key limiting factor, we are now to the point where optics are once again the limiting factor.

For what its worth, I use the EOS Rebel XS and have been fairly pleased until I got it wet and the light meter stopped working properly.

I can also agree with the above.

I have a EOS Rebel Xsi, and it works very well for my needs.

darkesword2020 said:
I can also agree with the above.

I have a EOS Rebel Xsi, and it works very well for my needs.

Hehe me too. It's great as a field camera. Here's a panorama I took with it (8pics) Sorry full res is 10 mb for the pic so you get the photobucket resize :(.

honakertrailcrp.jpg

well, since optics is now the limit, I would have to say go with Cannon. My best friend out here has the exact same model as Vex and it takes incredible pictures without the need for doctoring. It also has an exposure duration setting to do motion shots and long night shots. Incredible amount of detail for an under $200 point & shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back