Where do you get most of your supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zei

I'm just 100% interested where everyone gets their supplies. :) I'm an artist, but want to move onto 3D modeling and sculpture design (aka armor). Aha!

Well I usually get my fiberglass, resin, bondo, hardener, card stock, and ink from Walmart. Bondo and fiberglass almost always come with hardener and are found in the automotive department, the card stock and ink are usually found in electronics near the printer supplies. Hope this helps.
PS If you've heard about rondo it's a mix of resin and bondo, not another product.

I get most of my supplies from wal mart, craft stores or auto parts stores. Some of it I find in yard sales and the rest I get online at various places. There's a few stickies that would probably help you out greatly :)

Well I get my card stock from Staples, my fiberglass bondo and sandpaper from Canadian Tire, my brushes from an online supplier (I get 72 or 75 1 1/2" chip brushes for like $20) and i just picked up 6 sheets of eva foam for $12 so I grabed 3 packs from excess cargo, most of the tools i already had from being an automechanic. about the only thing I've had to buy is a mouse sander.

Walmart for most of the stuff, best prices there. Harbor Freight for all the stuff Walmart doesn't carry (boxes of brushes, tools, misc stuff).

I live in Europe, so it's a bit different from you US guys.

- Cardstock is from standard paperware shops.

- I buy my 10mm foam at Decathlon, they're a sort of sports stuff mall. I think it's brander Demios - it has the carbon fiber weave like pattern on the back side that's used on Mass Effect N7 armor.

- Tools are mostly from local resellers like OBI, Praktiker, Baumax etc. I got a dremel, glue gun, heat gun, utility knife, protection gear and such from here.

- Some of the stuff like X-acto knife and blades, and 2mm / 6mm foamies are from Ebay. Foamies are easiest to get from here if you don't have a local shop.

3D modeling apps are from my employer ;)

Thanks everyone! This is extremely helpful. I'm overwhelmed at where to start. Aha~

That statement bears more truth than most!

If you're wanting to pep your suit then walmart would indeed be where to start. I would guess you need cardstock, hot glue (personal preference from experience with stick glue, elmers glue and super glue, hot glue has been the best to me) a gun for that hot glue (if you don't have one) and ink! If you're feeling like getting more than that and want to get supplied up I would also get some fiberglass cloth or mat (cloth is my preference) resin for your fiberglass and bondo.

If you're looking for the foam route you will still need hot glue but I'd hit up harbor freight (if you can find one near you) for the EVA foam, otherwise, you might have to find some on the interwebs, it's not always the easiest thing to come by. Plasti dip (to help coat the foam and give your paint job a better medium to sit on) is available at Lowes (and home depot I imagine).

you also might think about some sandpaper and possibly some gray primer, though if you got everything I mentioned already you've already got a punch to the wallet coming (though not bank breaker)

Good luck! If you feel overwhelmed you should try and get assigned to a mentee here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37153-405th-MENTOR-PROGRAM-3.0
Welcome to the 405th, good luck with your build!

Omega

That statement bears more truth than most!

If you're wanting to pep your suit then walmart would indeed be where to start. I would guess you need cardstock, hot glue (personal preference from experience with stick glue, elmers glue and super glue, hot glue has been the best to me) a gun for that hot glue (if you don't have one) and ink! If you're feeling like getting more than that and want to get supplied up I would also get some fiberglass cloth or mat (cloth is my preference) resin for your fiberglass and bondo.

If you're looking for the foam route you will still need hot glue but I'd hit up harbor freight (if you can find one near you) for the EVA foam, otherwise, you might have to find some on the interwebs, it's not always the easiest thing to come by. Plasti dip (to help coat the foam and give your paint job a better medium to sit on) is available at Lowes (and home depot I imagine).

you also might think about some sandpaper and possibly some gray primer, though if you got everything I mentioned already you've already got a punch to the wallet coming (though not bank breaker)

Good luck! If you feel overwhelmed you should try and get assigned to a mentee here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37153-405th-MENTOR-PROGRAM-3.0
Welcome to the 405th, good luck with your build!

Omega

Well I know it's definitely not something I'll be done with anytime soon. I'm actually considering buying a pre-casted helmet, and work from there. The armor I wanted to do by myself as it's not as detailed as the helmet, and to get a feel for the mediums I'm working with. :)

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, and I'll have to look into the Mentee thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back