Where should I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lufah234

Hello, I'm Alex, and I'm new to the site, and have recently acquired an interest in prop making, and figured since I love Halo so much, this was a good place to start.
The only problem is that I don't exactly know where to start. I've looked around the forum for templates and such for weapons I wanted to try my luck at, such as the magnum, but all of the links I could find were all to a website that wasn't working. So if anybody can recommend a good place to start for me I would be most grateful! I was thinking that tackling an armor project would be to hard, I was thinking of trying to make a pistol or some other weapon, not to big though, just something simple.
No I do not have a vacuum-form machine :mad: and I don't have much experience with mold making.
I have done some model painting and modeling like Warhammer, etc. and I am a pretty good painter, and I'm ok at using a saw. So thats all my real experience so... yea.

Ok guys, thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to try to try and build the magnum for H2 out of wood, and bondo like Mystic said. My problem is that I've been searching all over the tutorials section, but have yet to find any tutorials. If anyone would be so kind, could you give me a link to some templates or scaled drawings of the Halo 2 Magnum?

Hello, and welcome! I had the same idea as you....build a weapon or two, then work my way up.

What you most likely ran into, were links to pepakura files. Although a good method, have you considered just printing out scaled pictures of the magnum, and building it out of cardboard or wood? It'd be easier in my opinion, and you'd get to control the shape a lot more.

Especially for the magnum, why not try a wood base, coated in bondo fiberglass filler (for detail), and then primed and painted? You could have that whole thing done in just a couple days :)

Btw....which magnum were you planning for?

mystic legend im in the same boat as you are, just acquired an intrest into prop making myself, but like you i haven't a clue on where to start or what to get etc, i was thinking along the lines of making an armour, although i wouldn't mind making some weapons, so if any one could help with material and tutorials on how to make etc that would be helpfull.

thanks in advance.

Ghost1uk said:
mystic legend im in the same boat as you are, just acquired an intrest into prop making myself, but like you i haven't a clue on where to start or what to get etc, i was thinking along the lines of making an armour, although i wouldn't mind making some weapons, so if any one could help with material and tutorials on how to make etc that would be helpfull.
thanks in advance.
Take a look around the site, especially the "Creation Discussion" threads. It's not too hard really....just requires patience and practice. I'm mostly just thinking up my method, and just looking a couple steps ahead to foresee problems. Other than that, I didn't really know what I was doing either (until recently).

AoBfrost said:
Dont make molded unless your experienced then.
Go with pep, read stickies.
Well, whereas I believe this is good advice, don't let that limit you. If you really have the funds and time to go the molded route, then consider it. It is way harder, but also more rewarding. Do you homework, find some tutorials, and start small. I have never done molding before, but I sure as heck plan to when I start my Elite....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alex,I'm also like you, the first thing i did when i joined was make an m6d out of layered cardboard, hope this is helpful link
oh and you can see how mine turned out here

Molding requires about 1000 dollars or more to make, pep is under 200 dollars, so whichever fits your budget, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back