Wip Halo 3 Cortana Cosplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
{Cortana said:
Thanks! Yup, you guessed it. It sucks though since it was the wrong color, and I had to take it apart completely and make a new one. :cautious:
It is absolutely amazing that you made a suit from scratch. Working with lycra! You have mad sewing skills!

Last edited by a moderator:
UNSC_Leatherneck said:
It is absolutely amazing that you made a suit from scratch. Working with lycra! You have mad sewing skills!
Haha, thanks. It is quite the task to sew lycra, but with the proper equipment it's not so bad. ;)

SteelSpartan said:
would be nice to see people try out other AI like the ones we see in the novels... lot's of creative freedom that way.
That would be really cool, I like seeing people take creative freedom like that, and I might have to do that in the future. Actually, I do have some original Forerunner costume designs in the works as we speak. I will post the sketches and final designs when I get around to finishing them. :D

Shackz said:
woow looking good i mean both the costume and yourself =D great job there =D
Thank you!

Guardian Baku said:
I am so turned on right now.

That aside your costume looks great! Way to go!
LOL! Thanks. :lol:

Wow, having seen quite a few Cortana cosplays (and now reiterating what everyone else is saying), this is by far the best.

May I ask what make up you used to paint your face? My friend and I are doing Star Wars cosplays as well as Halo ones at a con later in the year, and last year we used some water-based nonsense that rubbed off on every article of clothing in the vicinity. You wearing your Halo Wars shirt, it looks like yours didn't.
:D Plz share secrets, kthx. <3

Shameless plug:
If you like the WIP of {Cortana's amazing Cortana costume then stay tuned for a full feature article on the cosplay in The 405th Source when we launch the new format. It will feature an interview with the builder herself, exclusive pics of the progress of the costume, and tips and techniques used in making what is quite possibly the best Cortana cosplay we've seen.

</plug>

Chris Bullitt
Editor in Chief, The 405th Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drakku @ Apr 6 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>May I ask what make up you used to paint your face? My friend and I are doing Star Wars cosplays as well as Halo ones at a con later in the year, and last year we used some water-based nonsense that rubbed off on every article of clothing in the vicinity. You wearing your Halo Wars shirt, it looks like yours didn't.
:D Plz share secrets, kthx. <3</div>

For theater, cinema and circus performance I usually go for oil base make-up with a "spray" fixative (the fixative works really well on water based make up)... but water based make up don't go well with heat and sweat.

I would suggest the brand Mehron (used in a lot of movie set) they have a line of make up that looks like a big lipstick ( a little like a camo make-up) it's the "creamblend" stick makeup and it come in a wide range of color. ( the best way to get the "Cortana" look would be with a airbrush... but that gets a little more complicated)

The fixative spray is a must... with it I can go for an entire show without touch up except if I need to eat... or breath fire... :p

Hope it can help you out

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UNSC_Leatherneck @ Apr 6 2009, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Shameless plug:
If you like the WIP of {Cortana's amazing Cortana costume then stay tuned for a full feature article on the cosplay in The 405th Source when we launch the new format. It will feature an interview with the builder herself, exclusive pics of the progress of the costume, and tips and techniques used in making what is quite possibly the best Cortana cosplay we've seen.

</plug>

Chris Bullitt
Editor in Chief, The 405th Source</div>

Yes! <plug plug plug>

The suit looks awesome! I saw a few of your other cosplays on cosplay.com when I searched for Cortana...those are great as well!

Nice work, girl!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UNSC_Leatherneck @ Apr 6 2009, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Shameless plug:

</plug>

Chris Bullitt
Editor in Chief, The 405th Source</div>

just shameless!

Geat job! Sometimes one forgets there's more to Halo than armor and weapons.

Hehe, sorry for the slight necro post, but I figured you'd guys would want to see some more progress I've been making, and it hasn't been inactive for 30 days yet. ;)

Ok, so I've been adding the other layers of colors onto the suit this week, first the metallic purple, then the metallic blue. I can't say how glad I am that I went through the trouble of painting a matte black base first, it really helps to even everything else out in the end, which you can clearly see in the pics below...

[attachment=9174:Suit_WIP_3.jpg]

And I can't thank my boyfriend enough for spending hours on his knees painting all this week. So kudos to him for all the hard work he put into this suit. :D

I'm going to go back and sharpen everything with an outline of Sharpie in the corresponding colors; I don't like how it's jagged in some places, and I'm going to add some pixels too. I'm also going to make a stencil and spray paint a crapload of silver coding lines all over the darker areas, so let's hope the weather holds up later today! After that, I just need to fix the f*ckups I made on the gloves. ^^;

And here's my pride and joy of the week. The wig. I still need to actually sew the bead strands into the wig, but for the most part it's finished.

[attachment=9175:Wig_WIP.jpg]

I have to say I'm quite proud of the styling job I did. I guess all those years of having hair stylists for sisters really paid off. The nice thing is that the wig is still soft, mainly because I didn't overload it with hairspray/glue. Also, if any of you are wondering as to why I'm sewing beads into the wig, it's because I wanted it to have that computer/pixel/coding effect which can't really be pulled off with just hair. Take a look at this pic to understand what I'm talking about...

[attachment=9176:12139005...ana_halo.png]

So that's the progress report so far, I will have this finished *hopefully* by tonight, so I can do my photoshoot tomorrow, and have the pictures ready for UNSC-Leatherneck for the ezine. Oh, and I replied to some of you below so I wouldn't double post. :)

SteelSpartan said:
For theater, cinema and circus performance I usually go for oil base make-up with a "spray" fixative (the fixative works really well on water based make up)... but water based make up don't go well with heat and sweat.

I would suggest the brand Mehron (used in a lot of movie set) they have a line of make up that looks like a big lipstick ( a little like a camo make-up) it's the "creamblend" stick makeup and it come in a wide range of color. ( the best way to get the "Cortana" look would be with a airbrush... but that gets a little more complicated)

The fixative spray is a must... with it I can go for an entire show without touch up except if I need to eat... or breath fire... :p
Hope it can help you out
Mehron is the brand I used, and I have to say it works wonders! It goes on smooth, and I practically have to scrub it off when I was done, but I found that acne face wash works best for that. And the fixative spray really helped, I wouldn't recommend going without it. ;) If I ever get an airbrush (wishful thinking) I will use that instead, but for now this works just fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vexona @ Apr 15 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yes! <plug plug plug>

The suit looks awesome! I saw a few of your other cosplays on cosplay.com when I searched for Cortana...those are great as well!

Nice work, girl!</div>

Thank you so much! Yeah, there are some really awesome ones on cos.com, but it makes me sad that there isn't more Cortana love in the cosplay department; she's such a great character, and a fun challenge of a costume. :lol:
Das Brutus said:
just shameless!

Geat job! Sometimes one forgets there's more to Halo than armor and weapons.

Thanks. Haha, that's so true! Speaking of which, after this summer, I can't wait to get started on my Miranda Keyes outfit. I haven't seen her done yet, and I do love her character.
Dr. Temujin said:
Best Cortana I've seen so far. I especially like the pic with you "holding" the index key.

Thank you! Yup, that seems to be the popular one. :p
Recon Man said:
very nice would you mind making me one for a movie?? :unsure:
Hmmm, send me a PM, and we will discuss this further. ;)

Wha--? Um... pfft, ugh :eek:

That is totally awesome, girl! Definately "Elite Showcase" worthy. By far the best Cortana costume I've ever seen. I love your keen attention to detail; the skin tone, the body stencil, pixelating code in the wig. I honestly think you've got it as close to her in-game render as one possibly could.

Absolutely stunning. My hat's off to you! :not worthy:

EDIT: And no worries about the necro-post. It is your thread after all. One of the few allowable exceptions is if the OP posts an update. So, it's all good.

when you go to do your makeup do a little silver base under the blue. It will really make everything pop and give some sheen or reflective quality.

I wouldn't mind having her as my AI...

Fantastic job on the costume. By far the best Cortana I've ever seen! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back