Wip: We Are The Arms Of The Prophets..

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU64 said:
Check out this site if you haven't already.. ^_^

http://www.kimgrahamstudios.com/

It might still help you out
D; Oh, I've checked it out already, and cried over the price.
Seriously, wtf. Selling something for $750 when you can make it at home for like, $100 at the most.
I'm going to talk to a coworker who made some goat legs for a Halloween costume that, actually, worked rather awesome. She didn't have the bungie cords, thus, they were a pain in the butt (or, thighs, actually), to wear for more than five minutes, and they were made of wood, so they had some stability issues.

And again, my dad and I are going to experiment with doing some s-bent steel stuff.
When I start on that, trust me, you guys'll be first to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the double post, thought you guys would be happy to know thaaaat..

IMG_2078.jpg

The plate templates are printed out and ready to start carving into clay.
They're relatively simple designs, so I hope to have them done by the end of the week.
Molding/casting will be another story, I'll have to get some stuffs ordered, but my funds are running dangerously low. After a couple paychecks, I should be able to get them ready to go.
I'm also going to mold/cast the shoulders and hands, but I haven't had a chance to print out the templates properly. They are done, just not ready to work on.

I'll post some pics when I get the carving process started. I plan on dropping in on my old high school art teacher to see if she'll let me use her supplies (so I don't have to dig out my old ceramics stuff, haha).

Once the weather clears up, I'll be ready to start resin'ing my armor. Then it'll be time to start seriously tackling the head and body supports.

And that's about it. :D Enjoy!

I feel like a total shmo... I knew that you were doing an Arbiter (female, no less) but I just now found this thread and realized that it's..it's...YOU! Everything looks great - I love the renders and detailing on the arm plates. If I can be of any help just let me know - I would love to see you get this completed!

Nice Work!!! :not worthy:

:D Thanks guys!

And yeah, I tend to be a perfectionist sometimes when it comes to accuracy with my costumes.. so I'm going to try to get as much detail as possible into everything, and the plates are just something I couldn't ignore. Haha.

And yesss, Darin, I'm [one of the] infamous female Arbiterrrrr! Wortwortwort! Thanks for the offer, but be warned, I may start taking people up on them. Hah!

Sooo I waaas tired of doing work, so when I got home I vowed to do something with the plates, and voila, I have the uppermost plate done.

My work area:
IMG_2084.jpg

Close up of the plate and an attempt to show thickness:
IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2081.jpg

I'm going to need to add a bit more back into the details, but otherwise, I'm fairly happy with it. I'm going to leave them a bit sloppy-ish until I can bake them, then I'll sand 'em down and use a dremel to get it right before I mold 'em.
All in all, it took me about.. 40 minutes or so, once I got the clay flattened out and actually started carving.
Thank goodness I'm working with something I've used before, I can finally knock something out quickly. w00t!

The weather people are warning that storms will be heading in sometime later in the week, so I'm going to try to get some resining done tomorrow. Fo'sho this time. It'll be sunny and windy, I think those are perfect drying-resin conditions?
But I may procrastinate. I dun't wanna mess up mah purty helmet.

Looks great and I like how your going to bake them in a kiln! First time I've seen it done. Very innovative!

Yessss, I got the Dancing Ace!

Got four more plates done, hoping to knock out another one before I go to bed tonight, but prolly not.

IMG_2093.jpg

Those three that line up are the bottom three on the arm (just before the hand plate, rotate 'em 180 and that's the proper direction they face), and the one to the left is the one that goes above them. It's looking a bit lopsided from that angle, but I promise it's not that bad. I'll smooth it out before I bake it.

Which, by the way, I'm hoping to test bake one soon. Preferably one that's a simple design, in case it doesn't work out and I need to recarve it. Blegh if that happens, though.

I've got three plates carved out, just need to do their details, and I've got.. five more, I think, after them. Turns out there's two plates that are duplicates of the plates before them, so that knocks out two I'd need to do.

Also, for some weird reason, I got scheduled at the 5:00am shift at work, so for five hours, I've got to watch and maintain a pool filled with old people.
Needless to say, I'll be bringing my clay up to work and getting a LOT done. Haha.
The problem being, though, if there's an emergency, it'll be serious. Not some little kid that can't swim very well, but heart attack, stroke, random death. Hm.

Totally random, anybody use that 5-Hour Energy 2 oz drink of doom thing? I'm tempted to try it, I need a way to keep myself awake during that shift. Gross hours of the morning, especially to a non-morning person.

A great medium to use for the hands are strips of motorcycle chain. They are very easy to wire up (with shoelace even) and they will allow you to close the fist all the way if done right.

Saw it on mythbusters when they were making an anamatronic hand to catch an arrow.

BFDesigns said:
A great medium to use for the hands are strips of motorcycle chain. They are very easy to wire up (with shoelace even) and they will allow you to close the fist all the way if done right.

Saw it on mythbusters when they were making an anamatronic hand to catch an arrow.
Oh, thanks for that. I looked for it on Youtube and found some video of someone that replicated what they did. It looks rather straightforward, and if they'll bend enough to close when I close my own hand, that would be absolutely perfect! I'll send 'em a message.
:3 Woo!

LeeKegan said:
Can't wait to see them after you fire them!
Hah, I can't wait either. I'm reaaally nervous.

very nice progress, I can't wait to see the final product... Could be the best elite costume ever!
Quick question, anyone ever think about doing a brute costume, considering there posture and body shape is similar to ours it shouldn't be that hard... Maybe I should try it...

Wow, alot of progress made from what you showed back at Ithicas. Very nice work, I like how you are putting such detail into it.

Just watch out for trigger happy Marines at the conventions after its done (still some bad blood between the UNSC and Covenant).

Drakku said:
Hey guys. Got bored and thought I'd throw together a VERY ROUGH hand.

Very rough hand?? That looks pro compared to mine. Mine is made out of a pizza box, pepsi bottle, tape and yarn. I had to improvise! lol The funnier thing is that it actually worked. By work I mean the joints bent in the direction I wanted it to. The middle two fingers end up crossing each other though. Probably because it's so ghetto.

Drakku said:
I plan on printing them out the proper size and tracing over them onto the clay

Just out of curiosity, how did you trace them? Did you mold the shape of the clay on top of the paper, then put the base on top of that clay? Or did you put the paper over the clay and sorta poke holes with them with a needle then cut it out? Or none of the above? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back