Wiring LED TO helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sikarian said:
Can ya point me to the best deal site to purchase the parts? I've got the switch I need, I've got solder, and my iron is hot and ready. I've got cabling too, so all I really need would be a resistor (I bought a pack of 270 ohm resistors on the advice of my engineering buddy, think they might work) and the 4 white LEDs. Hopefully with a cheap shipping cost too to ship all that.

I hate for it to seem like I'm self-promoting, but my site OkazuMods is the cheapest for single LEDs, and resistors are includes with each LED.

Another good site the, in fact, preceded mine is SickMods.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokussj5okazu said:
I hate for it to seem like I'm self-promoting, but my site OkazuMods is the cheapest for single LEDs, and resistors are includes with each LED.

Another good site the, in fact, preceded mine is SickMods.

Best of luck.

do these lights actally help in the dark.
also where do you put the switch

In normal "darkness" (outside at night), they'll light up about 10 foot in front of you dimly at best. In total darkness they would actually prove quite useful, lighting a good 15 ft or so.

You can put the switch where ever you want it. On mine I've chosen a push switch and to hide it inside the helmet, by my right cheek. That way I can just push it once to turn them on, push it again to turn them off and it's completely concealed.

link4044 said:
your welcome guys
Thanks for this tut Link- youre my hero ; ) Anyway, i may consider using this technique sometime or another, so thanks for posting something like this up. -Ice

get your parts from digikey. they are by far the cheapest online source of electrical parts.

Saved me about 500$ when I was in ECE. :p

Anyone have any good suggestions of what to use for a lens over the LEDs? The LEDs are like 1/4" in diameter, but the lights in the game model are somewhere between 1/2"-5/8".

I was thinking of something the shape of the bottom of a test tube, but that is of course impractical. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Most people use them the way there, but I have an idea on what to use. Model paints come with a plastic tray that have several small circular dips in them to hold the paint. Cut out a few of those cone like dips and ta'da. I'll post a pic or two when I get a chance. They actually looks quite perfect.

Another good alternative would be to buy 10mm LEDs. The ones you got were 5mm so 10mm LEDs are much better looking. I don't believe Radioshack carries though though, but some online places do.

link4044 said:
ok heres my little LED tut
heres what you'll need
-soilder iron
-soilder
-flux paste (if you want it)
-red and black wire (i used 20 gau)
-resistors 100 ohm
-white LEDs
-switch
-9V
-9V connector
1st you'll need to know that LEDs has a short (-) and a long (+) leg

plus if you look closely theres a small (+) and a fat (-) wire inside the
head

ok now you'll need to set up the LEDs bend a short leg out on one LED then on the other bend the long leg..this is called series

then add flux to one of the legs
add_flux.jpg

then soilded them into series like so
wired_in_series.jpg

now soilder a resistor to the longer leg which is the +
resistor.jpg

next soilder the red wire to the resistor then the switch
wireswitch.jpg

then soilder the connector to the red wire
switch_inline.jpg

now soilder the black wire to the short leg on the other LED
all_wired_up.jpg

now just add the 9V and thats it
done.jpg

then do the same to the other side and add the red wire to the wire before the 9V and add the black to the black wire, use the electric tape to the exposed wires

thnks so much.. i was at lowes 2day and i was gonna get some led lights but i said "no i dont know how to wire it" but i sould have got em now... :mad: :mad:

lol i just bought 4 really high powered l.e.d. flashlights and put them in the socet and all i have 2 do is press one on each side and both of them light up i rigged it with a wood strip

to those who are getting confused with 4 led lights, praise me cuz i have cleansed my sins...im just kidding.
if unclear, pm me...this time i didnt use the flux like link did, but it turned out perfectly.
tut1.png

tut2.png

have fun messing around and becareful of the soldering iron, that thing can and will set ur home on fire if not careful

MC PwN 3R said:
to those who are getting confused with 4 led lights, praise me cuz i have cleansed my sins...im just kidding.
if unclear, pm me...this time i didnt use the flux like link did, but it turned out perfectly.
tut1.png

tut2.png

have fun messing around and becareful of the soldering iron, that thing can and will set ur home on fire if not careful

are those white or blue LEDs???

clownpuncher said:
are those white or blue LEDs???
blue, but the ones im using for my helm currently is white cuz the blue's legs got torn off and therefore unable to use them

MC PwN 3R said:
blue, but the ones im using for my helm currently is white cuz the blue's legs got torn off and therefore unable to use them

phew...i thought i would have to make another hour drive and get white ones!

link4044 said:
same way...the power the ground will split to eachside

what type of led's should i use currently i have 5mm white led's 3.6volts.20mA.1100mcd i got them at radio shack. will these be ok they dont say superbright or anything just white led will they be bright enough.

tbail1989 said:
what type of led's should i use currently i have 5mm white led's 3.6volts.20mA.1100mcd i got them at radio shack. will these be ok they dont say superbright or anything just white led will they be bright enough.

Also i am trying to hook up a small fan in my helmet i already purchased it and when i did a test hookup the battery gets so hot it feels like its gonna melt. How do i solve this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back