Woah...Where To Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack

Howdy,

Well...I'm a noob looking for info. I've taken a gander at some tutorials but I still need help. I watched Spartan 648's tutorials...but I need some more info. Like how to build a mold without a base object. Because, obviously, there's no base object for Spartan armor or guns or anything. So I need me some help.

Also, what kind of materials should I use for making replica props and armor? How do I really go about building my mold from scratch? Any indepth tips or links? BTW, vacuum forming is out of the question :p.

Thanks,
- The New Dude...er...FlapJack

I dont think you can make a mold from scratch, You should look more around molded armor and pepakura forums for more information.

Wouldn't you actually need to get some balsa wood or something, and then carve your shape...and then make the mold out of your carved balsa?

MC Chris said:
I dont think you can make a mold from scratch, You should look more around molded armor and pepakura forums for more information.
Your partially right, you cant make a MOLD from scratch but you can make a MODEL from scratch to be molded. I think it's just a terminology error.

Anyways, as far as the first post goes, you can make armor and props out of almost anything. That water gun could be a smg or pistol with enough modifying. Just look around for something you can start with or if you want start from scratch with balsa wood, MDF, or even a common 2x4. It really doesn't matter what you start with so long as you can invision how your going to make it into what you want. If you want ideas as far as how to start, look around. Check out the Replica Prop forum for some really good ideas on how to start or the blaster builders club.

Making a costume or a prop is a creative process and people go about it differently. Just get out there and try to shape something that you find into what you want with practice comes experience and skill.

That post kind of went on longer than I planned. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been watching a lot of the Freeman videos, but I'm still kind of confused. For instance, should I want to make a replica Halo pistol...how would I go about carving that out of balsa or anything else? For instance, if I carve a whole pistol out of balsa, how would I mold that? Or would I have to carve each side separately, and then do a 2 piece mold?

What I would do is carve as much as I can out of balsa and add details after you get the shape. Then after it looks good make a two piece silicone mold, and use resin from smoothon to cast it.

Okey dokey, thanks :). Could you give me some tips on making a two-piece silicone mold? I'm not good at visualizing how to do that kind of stuff.

-edit-

What kind of knife should I use to carve my balsa?

FlapJack said:
Okey dokey, thanks :)/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />. Could you give me some tips on making a two-piece silicone mold? I'm not good at visualizing how to do that kind of stuff.

i think adam has some molding tuts

1 shot 1 kill said:
Could you give me some tips on making a two-piece silicone mold? I'm not good at visualizing how to do that kind of stuff.

i think adam has some molding tuts

What is with all this necro-posting lately? Check dates before posting replies people!

I'm going to start warning people for first offenses soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back