Wood Filler Putty vs Car Filler Putty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader1080

So, I had decided to repair and refine my current Pepakura armor for a potential cosplay competition next year and I decided to strengthen and give more details for the existing armor.

Reading up online, I was noted a method of using something called Bondo and car filler putty to further strengthen and shape the paper+epoxy resin pieces, however, I don't really think Bondo is something common in my country and most hardware shops sell wood filler putty.

So my questions are:

1. Is it suitable to substitute car filler putty with wood putty?
2. Would it be easier for wood putty to adhere to the surface of the pieces since I already given a layer of spray paint on, would I need extra treatment on the surface before procceding?
3. Would it be just as easy to apply and shape compared to using car filler?

Thanks.

First off, good luck on the competition. Second, most countries do carry some form of auto body filler.......it just comes under a different name. Check w/ some auto body shops or auto supply locations. Now to your questions:

1) Anything is suitable as a substitute if you know how to work it.
2) You would need to sand down that outer layer of paint a bit for the putty to adhere to better
3) Applying wood putty doesn't spread as easily as bondo, but a wet finger can smooth out any rough spots. The positive side is that you have a longer working time than with bondo.....it dries very quickly.

First off, good luck on the competition. Second, most countries do carry some form of auto body filler.......it just comes under a different name. Check w/ some auto body shops or auto supply locations. Now to your questions:

1) Anything is suitable as a substitute if you know how to work it.
2) You would need to sand down that outer layer of paint a bit for the putty to adhere to better
3) Applying wood putty doesn't spread as easily as bondo, but a wet finger can smooth out any rough spots. The positive side is that you have a longer working time than with bondo.....it dries very quickly.

First of all, thank you for the answers and suggestions.

I did however, borrowed a wood filler putty from a construction worker (I worked in construction so it is easy to come by) and did a few sample pepakura pieces lying around in my room. I made two experiments: One on bare resin surface, one with some form of spray paint on and here are the results:

IMG_20191226_230328.jpg

I applied it on a rejected thigh armor for the Master Chief cosplay and the putty stuck on the painted surface but I noted some shrinkage cracks on the dried surface. This implies I would need to sand it down before painting.

IMG_20191226_230335.jpg

This is on the bare, unpainted resin and the shrinkage cracks are much worse compared to the thigh armor.

Since it occurred in wood putty, would the same thing occurs if I use auto repair putty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back