Would anyone suggest the CraftRobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so cool! I really want one. Cutting is the only stage that drives me mad. I've already listened to my entire collection of music and two audio books on four pieces of armor.

How does it deal with the models that have lots of small detail in a small area?

It have been discussed also before that someone could buy the CR and supply others with it by paying a certain percentage to the 3d modeller of the file + the costs.

I would pay personnaly.

LastSpartan said:
It have been discussed also before that someone could buy the CR and supply others with it by paying a certain percentage to the 3d modeller of the file + the costs.

I would pay personnaly.

I might be interested in doing this now that I'm getting it figured out. I'll have to work some numbers to see if it's feasible. Printing and cutting all the pieces and shipping them out in a cardboard reinforced envelope would be the best course I'm thinking. Personally I know the cutting stage seems to be the most mind numbing part of the whole process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reventorghini said:
This is so cool! I really want one. Cutting is the only stage that drives me mad. I've already listened to my entire collection of music and two audio books on four pieces of armor.

How does it deal with the models that have lots of small detail in a small area?

I haven't tried anything too detailed at this point, as I'm only working on the basic armor at this time. Tell me which piece in particular you're talking about and I can run it off pretty quickly and toss up some pics.

LastSpartan said:

I would pay personnaly.
Im right there with you because theres been times were i just dont want to cut 60 pages for a chest

The cutting is a chore. The scoring is more of a pain for me. Might have to consider it later - depending on how it works for you Sideslide. Could be useful in the long run considering I plan on making all perms, ODST, weapons, and possibly the marine armor. Plus the wife might find it useful for scrapbooking or something.

Ya i personally dislike scoring the most and cutting isnt much fun either it would save a lot of time and work. I might get one if my friends split the cost i personally dont have a license for pep designer but my friend Ice does. I have a few other friends who might be interested. The cost wouldnt be bad if i divided it by 4 or 5.

SideSlide said:
I haven't tried anything too detailed at this point, as I'm only working on the basic armor at this time. Tell me which piece in particular you're talking about and I can run it off pretty quickly and toss up some pics.

I am of the same opinion regarding the HD pieces. I cannot forsee this piece of equipment being able to successfully score some of the small triangular attachment tabs (which are often 5mm or smaller) without cutting them off completely. I also feel that many of the HD models, such as FS' chest piece would confuse the program as there are numerous points along fold lines, etc, where numbers partially or completely block fold lines. I'm sure many of you have undertaken the same task as I, opening the model in Pep and turning off the numbers just to confirm mountain or valley folds or fold boundaries altogether.

ChaseU said:
I am of the same opinion regarding the HD pieces. I cannot forsee this piece of equipment being able to successfully score some of the small triangular attachment tabs (which are often 5mm or smaller) without cutting them off completely. I also feel that many of the HD models, such as FS' chest piece would confuse the program as there are numerous points along fold lines, etc, where numbers partially or completely block fold lines. I'm sure many of you have undertaken the same task as I, opening the model in Pep and turning off the numbers just to confirm mountain or valley folds or fold boundaries altogether.

Do you have a link to a particular piece you're curious about? Cutting out a single page only takes about 5 minutes now that I have the system up and running. The application itself doesn't care about the numbers, it just reads the edge lines and the fold lines.

Might I suggest (from a quick look) pg 4, 5, or 8 of Flying Squirl's HD chest? There are some small tabs on those pages along with (it looked like) some rectangles that are cut outs. Either that or a page or two of bevbor's BR.

tlither said:
Might I suggest (from a quick look) pg 4, 5, or 8 of Flying Squirl's HD chest? There are some small tabs on those pages along with (it looked like) some rectangles that are cut outs. Either that or a page or two of bevbor's BR.

Looks like the CR has met it's match with the little pieces on page 8 of FS' HD chest. At the settings I've currently got, it just can't cut without tearing up the paper. I'm going to continue to play with it a bit using just a single one of the very small pieces to see if I can get it to cut cleanly. I've been cutting nearly non-stop since I got the unit and may of dulled the blade a little early cutting too deeply on some of my first tries. The cutout pieces that are rectangles are honestly very simple though, and it punched those out with not problems at all. I've also been doing some research and apparently there is a method for actual scoring of lines, which is something else I need to figure out how to do.

Back to the workbench!

What you could also do, if there a few people in one area you could all chip in. Just an idea. *shrug* If you can get it to cut small pieces and score lines I might just get one of these things. Since I have so many Ideas for pep it would be a great help.

sweet keep usupdated. i would like to know alot about this before i get myself into this printer cutter

link4044 said:
sweet keep usupdated. i would like to know alot about this before i get myself into this printer cutter

Will do!
I have to pimp the progress on my chest piece I started yesterday afternoon and cut fully on the CR.

[attachment=7356:30550316...9582f7af.jpg]

I wonder if you can use an earlier model to keep the cost low but run the latest software because im sure the machine has changed much (if theres an either model)

what's the deal on the scoring then? It looks like from the video that it perforates instead of actually scoring.

BFDesigns said:
what's the deal on the scoring then? It looks like from the video that it perforates instead of actually scoring.

I haven't really dug into it much as my chest was calling to me to get finished, but from what I was looking at, you can tell pep which lines to cut when you send the job to the cutter. So you can send out JUST the lines you need scored with the blade depth set to not cut all the way through the material. Then you go back and send the job through again, but this time cut just the actual cut lines. So it takes more than one pass, but you get perfect scoring and razor precision to it all.

Well I am salivating at the thought of this working out well, cutting and scoring nearly drove me mad on my helmet and I went through my whole DVR. If this thing works, there is almost no thing as too high a price. Think about how quick you could turn out a suit if all you had to do was fold and glue, and the machine cut the next pieces to be glued. Please keep us updated and keep up with the pics.

P.S. Even if the machine couldn't do the finest of fine details, pep will still only get you so far because paper will have it's points where it can't hold detail (The little headlights on the M VI helm), but you know worst case, you use Low def models and since you have all this free time not having to cut, just make them more detailed in the bondo\resin\molding over them stage.

looks like i might get this machine to add to my collection of printer and my other polter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back