Xbox Live Halo TV Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobotChicken

After researching online, it's still a bit vague to me whether "Xbox Live" (where the new Halo live action TV series is said to be exclusive) is strictly an Xbox One thing or if Live also exists with the 360? I just bought this week Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo 4, Halo Reach, and Halo Wars games for Xbox 360 in preparation for my son's Christmas this year since it's unlikely the older games will be compatible with One (so said multiple sales associates at multiple stores). (Yes, Halo 2 is also on the shopping list.) I'm thinking that with an internet connection the 360 has access to Xbox Live and will be able to watch the show, similar to Playstation Network on the PS3? Or, due to never having owned an Xbox, am I completely naive about this and Live is exclusive to One? Forward Unto Dawn has come out in Netflix and DVD so I doubt anybody, even the show's producers, can predict the "exclusiveness" of the new show. So basically, I'm wondering if anybody here knows when the series is scheduled to start, whether it's to be broadcast live (no pun...) or available as on-demand stream, and if other options exist for viewing it. Thanks!

I would imagine it will an xbox live exclusive not a console exclusive. Which would entail that it be available on both current and next gen systems. I am very excited for this series with be produced by steve Spielberg and they rumour it to have budget of the series game of thrones.....I thought you said you where not interested in the halo lure???? :D its contagious isn't it.

I still maintain that I personally am not hooked on Halo. I like the music (soundtracks from nearly all the games are on my iPod - still collecting them, but so far Halo 1 soundtrack is still the best), and Forward Unto Dawn was okay once the plot finally started moving (i.e. Covenant attack on the academy). I mean really, an hour watching struggling cadets, and then only about a half hour of decent action/drama - whenever my son watches it I stick around only for the last half. The first half is boring. I'm interested in the new show because I like sci-fi/fantasy films, especially if they have a decent budget, and Steven Spielberg does good work, so the show has potential to be good. (We'll see if it actually delivers the goods...) The console and all the Halo games are for my son since he's the one so into the franchise. I'm not a fan of 1st-person shooters and end up losing count at how many times I've died during one level. Add to that all the buttons on modern controllers (I'm from a time when you had one joystick and one button) and all the button combinations for "special" attacks and I'm just a deer in headlights and an apparent magnet for enemy fire. Since there are so many Halo addicts on the 405th, I was hoping somebody would know if "Xbox Live" is accessible on the 360, when the new show is scheduled to start, and whether it will be streamed on-demand or need to tune in on a certain Bat-day and Bat-channel for watching.

yeah xbox live is supported on all xbox systems... and they said they plan to keep the 360 supported with tech and games for 3 years after the xbox one launches

Interesting. Three different sales reps who really seemed to know their stuff said that it's unlikely the One will support 360 games due to hardware issues. Like the way you can't play PS2 games on a PS3 (which sucks because there are some good PS2 titles out there that weren't upgraded for PS3). Good to know that we'll be able to watch the new series on either 360 or One, so I guess I'll see factually on Nov 22 whether or not One will play 360 games.

I am curious if this might be picked up on Network TV. With Spielberg and his budgets, it might not be profitable to only have it on the XBox Live. Especially with so many pirates out there who will put each episode on a download site before it is even finished airing.

True, like you can currently watch all the cut scenes from the Halo games spliced together as a movie on YouTube, which I would think to be against copyright laws. But, I also can understand the desire of Microsoft to have exclusive content that can ONLY be viewed (at least for now) on their proprietary network. Then again, just like many movies are touted as "only in theaters", you can buy them a few years later on DVD. I don't think anybody (even Spielberg) has a crystal ball revealing all the eventual distribution channels for the show. But with 6 games bought, and more on the list before Christmas, either a 360 or a One will be under the tree this year. :)

The fact that they have a different base programming and that the One is 16x more powerful than the 360, you need to specifically make a version for both. Xbox Live has been online since 2005 or so and they said they would support the 360 buy making versions of games for the 360 for 3-5 years after the One releases and keep Xbox Live on the 360 10 years after, around the time they pop out another console.

That's pretty much what I heard in the different stores, and that it's highly unlikely that the older Halo games will be re-released as versions compatible with the One. So despite the One being faster, newer, and (albeit somewhat debatable) better than the 360, it's looking more as though a 360 is what I'll be getting (the newer Slim version that has many of the hardware bugs resolved). Anybody know when the show is planned to start? Haven't found anything online except what's already common knowledge now.

Hey all, couple of things; all my opinions below are based from working in game retail, and as QA in a game development company a couple of years ago - seriously check me out in the credits of Disney Universe and Goldeneye: Reloaded :)

1) Dont take any staff from a games shop as in the know, thats nothing against store staff,some are great at their job - but they just dont get any more details than the rest of us - best bet is to keep track on IGN! They hear things first 9 times out of 10, and are pretty accurate.

2) the exclusive programs are being run out over xbox live ( Live being the term for all Microsoft online gaming regardless of platform, inc PC) - so if your console is signed up, ull recieve the content - the 360 is more than capable of streaming video as its already doing it, regardless of how more powerfull the XBone is :)

3) they said the same about xbox games not working on the 360, but its purely to cover their own backs, let me explain;

The compatibility would fall to the responsibility of the Developers, not Microsoft; If they said all 360 games will work with XBone it would then become a "Priority Guideline" as eurocom used to call it.

To support this would either require microsoft to put the 360 setup inside alongiside the the xbone chip etc (like the early PS3s) or that all developers would have to find a way to become compatible. It is possible though -remember Halo CE anniversary was rebuilt from the ground up, 343 didnt have to they could have just made it compatible like so many games in Live Arcade - but you can see the difference :)
And I cant wait for this <EXPLETIVE DELETED> Halo Series! Whos guessing it follows Spartan IV's and Infinity?

Hope this helps :)

Cheers, Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
3) they said the same about xbox games not working on the 360, but its purely to cover their own backs, let me explain;

The compatibility would fall to the responsibility of the Developers, not Microsoft; If they said all 360 games will work with XBone it would then become a "Priority Guideline" as eurocom used to call it.

I remember back when the 360 came out being upset about the lack of backwards compatibility. I played Elder Scrolls III on the Xbox, bought a 360 for ES IV and held onto my Xbox until ES III was finally playable on the 360.

And I cant wait for this <EXPLETIVE DELETED> Halo Series! Whos guessing it follows Spartan IV's and Infinity?

I don't know what to expect with the series. Most likely they'll do something that will lead up to Halo 5, but we'll see. Any word on when it's supposed to start up?

Last edited by a moderator:
okay I think the TV series well be much like that of that of the agents of shield were the cast of made up of other people we might see buck or dare in command with other guys maybe a Spartan or two, with a spook, and medic then some marines and most likely the whole ODST crew some where in the background.

First off - My appologies on the language, didnt proof read before i posted.

I dont think its gonna be like how theyve done agents of shield - thats not "big" enough for Spielberg... I think bigger story arcs, larger questions to be answered etc etc.

Spartans are now their own section, just like Navy, Army, Air Force, so I think ull see a lot more of them - cos there simply are more spartans all of a sudden, and working with ODST's etc. And not forgetting we need a new enemy for halo 5.

Id guess more Lost crossed with Starship Troopers or stargate-esque....

As for the cast? Well the Spartan 4s are easy enough as there normal size humans, and you have the whole Senghilli Civil War to expand on - the last of the glasslands books comes out in January and i fully expect that to be a setup/tie in for the TV series, the new ongoing comic "Halo: Escalation" and OFC Halo 5... we need something new (or returning) to kill.

though i bet 1 thing, we'll not see whatever it is coming until 343 are ready to run it out in its entirety :)

oh yes we start opening portals and send in a small team with a beacon to check things out until they find them that would be nice. but you have to think what if this is what they plan on doing I mean angets of shield is in line with the movies so if halo is done the same way people could be drawn in even more.

After researching online, it's still a bit vague to me whether "Xbox Live" (where the new Halo live action TV series is said to be exclusive) is strictly an Xbox One thing or if Live also exists with the 360? I just bought this week Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo 4, Halo Reach, and Halo Wars games for Xbox 360 in preparation for my son's Christmas this year since it's unlikely the older games will be compatible with One (so said multiple sales associates at multiple stores). (Yes, Halo 2 is also on the shopping list.) I'm thinking that with an internet connection the 360 has access to Xbox Live and will be able to watch the show, similar to Playstation Network on the PS3? Or, due to never having owned an Xbox, am I completely naive about this and Live is exclusive to One? Forward Unto Dawn has come out in Netflix and DVD so I doubt anybody, even the show's producers, can predict the "exclusiveness" of the new show. So basically, I'm wondering if anybody here knows when the series is scheduled to start, whether it's to be broadcast live (no pun...) or available as on-demand stream, and if other options exist for viewing it. Thanks!

Well if its like halo legends or spartan ops it will most likely be posted on the xbox live channel and have to be able to get it... but its all good in time... just cant wait to see it.

I'm hoping the bring a lot from the books, including flashback references to the books that are set earlier in the timeline. Or if he tackles what happened to the Spirit of Fire. A whole series could be based on that cast of characters and their story.

I really hope that they wrap up Spirit of Fire's storyline as well, Halo Wars' story was pretty cool, and it seems a shame to just let them drift through space for years, but I understand that there are way more stories to be told, so for now I hope it's god, I know that the story's gonna be good, its got Speilburg, I'm just waiting for more info, I've heard little since the E3 announcement. Hope it lives up to the name!

I'm thinking we're not even going to be able to see it here because I'm definitely not granting Micros**t a subscription for Live Gold membership, and we can't seem to be able to do anything much on Live without it. No online gaming, no TV show viewing, etc. Oh well. It will hopefully come out on DVD or Netflix later like Forward Unto Dawn did, and then us regular people will be able to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back