Yay another ODST build! Well at least it will be Halo 4's Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

cha0skn1ght

So the ODST was the very first armor I ever made was back in 2009 and it was an ODST suit. This is me as the Rookie from ODST and my then girlfriend now wife as a purple (instead of blue) Dare. That armor was rough and I now see so many things that were wrong with it (like I made Mk. VI gauntlets and shins lol). We used tactical vests instead of the core part of the ODST suit for mounting. It worked well for my first dive into armor making but I feel I didn't give it the attention it deserved.
RookieDare_zps6812e0c8.jpg

I've learned a lot since then and want to tackle a full foam build of ODST armor with a (hopefully) snazzy undersuit. I've already grabbed the files from the 405th file database on 4shared:
(http://www.4shared.com/folder/-gSGibnl/Infinity.html?detailView=true&sortAsc=true&sortsMode=NAME)
and have started converting them for foam use. Much thanks to MissingSpartan7 for the unfold! Remember, I am taking no credit for the 3d model or unfolding of that model, I'm just converting the unfolds (or trying to) for foam usage :)

Here is the first piece, I think I'm done with it. Please if you have experience converting normal pep files to foam, any tips or mistakes or strange things you see let me know :)
Boot1_zpsf3f2c6f9.jpg

Shin1_zps63444281.jpg

Attachments

• RookieDare_zps6812e0c8.jpg
    RookieDare_zps6812e0c8.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 687
  • Boot1_zpsf3f2c6f9.jpg
    Boot1_zpsf3f2c6f9.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 615
  • Shin1_zps63444281.jpg
    Shin1_zps63444281.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 633
This space is reserved for final pics and links to final foam files. All files are in letter format.
ODST Foam Files:
Boot
Left Shin
Left Thigh
Left Gauntlet
Left Shoulder
Butt Plate
Torso
Pack
ODST Letter Helmet
^^ Not foam just converted to letter paper size
That wraps it up for the ODST files for now. I'm most likely not going to do a foam helmet, but I might think about it.
Venator Pieces
Narrow Boot
Narrow Shin
Narrow Thigh
Narrow Knee Plate
Narrow Butt Plate
Left Outer Plated Forearm
Venator Chest

Venator Shoulder
^^ I didn't convert the chest and the shoulder to foam. They're originally located here. I just grabbed them and put them here so if anyone is searching they can have the whole suit right here.
Again, I didn't do these conversions but they looks great so here they are. I believe Hyperballistik did the unfolds for them and they were modeled by JTM1997. Give them a shout out for their work :)

With that I think all the files have been converted to foam. Enjoy and feel free to use and share. I'm pretty sure all the modelers and original unfolders names are included in the pep files so be sure to thank them for their awesome work.

I unfolded the FOTUS Helmet from the 343i model that Arcanine provided.
I haven't ever really unfolded anything before but I gave it a shot anyways. I really should've used blender or something to try and connect the Horn to the Helmet but as it stands, after you build the Horn and the Helmet separately, you will need to modify the assembled pieces so they can fit together. I'm going to build this helmet too but let me know if you guys and gals think it looks like a decent unfold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try and give it the attention it deserves :)
I'll keep everyone posted. It will be a much slower process than my previous armor(in my sig) because I have triple the time to complete it.

Awesome! I have a Robocraft friendly file if you need it. I love this H4 ODST probably going to make a complete suit soon. Subscribed.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=40786 Ryno's (Robocraft experience)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I bet that speeds up the cutting process 100 fold.
Your helmets look nice Ryno_666 and thanks for the sub!
Left thigh
Thigh1_zps3a19ff25.jpg
Butt plate
ButtPlate1_zps4fa4bf17.jpg
* There are some areas on the edge of the butt plate that I didn't know if I should keep or not, basically the whole third page of the pep file. I will have a better understanding when I build it. Also I may or may not even use the top middle piece that is rounded on one side. I might just trace and cut out that section of the main body of the middle piece and raise it. Time will tell.
Forearm1_zpsc5038167.jpg

Left Shoulder
Bicep1_zps21de7333.jpg
Most likely I'm only going to use this template for the outer piece of armor and scratch build the piece that goes around my arm. We will see.

Attachments

• Bicep1_zps21de7333.jpg
    Bicep1_zps21de7333.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Forearm1_zpsc5038167.jpg
    Forearm1_zpsc5038167.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 490
  • ButtPlate1_zps4fa4bf17.jpg
    ButtPlate1_zps4fa4bf17.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 537
  • Thigh1_zps3a19ff25.jpg
    Thigh1_zps3a19ff25.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 542
Everything takes time but I think they look great none the less.

No problem. Actually my plan is to do my reach build, an ODST build, and possibly my armor for Halo 4

If you want to get high tech: you can "smooth" the files to get rid of the sharp corners. You need to export the files as a .dxf, then import them into CAD software if you have it. Basically you need a program that lets you draw splines. Using that you basically connect the dots of the sharp edges, and get a smooth line. Overall it makes for rounder, cleaner pieces. But, it is totally optional.

There is also a "smooth" tool in pepakura, but I find it is frustrating to use.

If you want to get high tech: you can "smooth" the files to get rid of the sharp corners. You need to export the files as a .dxf, then import them into CAD software if you have it. Basically you need a program that lets you draw splines. Using that you basically connect the dots of the sharp edges, and get a smooth line. Overall it makes for rounder, cleaner pieces. But, it is totally optional.

There is also a "smooth" tool in pepakura, but I find it is frustrating to use.
I (unfortunately) don't have any type of CAD software. Is there free-software out there that isn't just a trial? I may take a shot at it but don't want to invest the money into buying at the moment.
I may fiddle with the smoothing tool in pepakura.

I (unfortunately) don't have any type of CAD software. Is there free-software out there that isn't just a trial? I may take a shot at it but don't want to invest the money into buying at the moment.

You could try here http://www.blender.org/
I dont have a PC that can run anything (I can barely watch youtube videos...), so I dont know anything about this program, Though I think I've seen it mentioned in the forums before when lurking around.

You could try here http://www.blender.org/
I dont have a PC that can run anything (I can barely watch youtube videos...), so I dont know anything about this program, Though I think I've seen it mentioned in the forums before when lurking around.

Thanks for the tip
Update: It's kind of an offshoot, but I unfolded and converted to foam the Outer Plated Forearm that was modeled by Monkeyfuj
Click here
LeftOuterPlated_zps6a7aa151.jpg
It's scaled for an 11 inch long forearm (I'm short only 5'5" :))
Again, I'm still new to this converting to foam stuff and I haven't built this yet. All the files I'm working on will be built by me and my crew later on, but if you want to give it a try, go ahead and let me know what worked and didn't work ;)

Attachments

• LeftOuterPlated_zps6a7aa151.jpg
    LeftOuterPlated_zps6a7aa151.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 545
Can you link all your files on first post as you go through. I really like this build so far.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back