Yet Another 405Th Company Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so we don't "officially" make divisions.

How about a search function to make it easier to find member in in a certain area? This would eliminate the need for the "Starting a group in BFE" threads. The only way I've found to find people around me, is to check each profile page and see where they are from. After over 25 pages (on the members list) checked, I've only found one person. So, I only know of two people in my area as of now.

Until we get something figured out, I'll be looking at profile pages.

I know this isn't exactly "on topic", but I think the search function needs to be considered.

Dizzerak said:
Ok, so we don't "officially" make divisions.

How about a search function to make it easier to find member in in a certain area? This would eliminate the need for the "Starting a group in BFE" threads. The only way I've found to find people around me, is to check each profile page and see where they are from. After over 25 pages (on the members list) checked, I've only found one person. So, I only know of two people in my area as of now.

Until we get something figured out, I'll be looking at profile pages.

I know this isn't exactly "on topic", but I think the search function needs to be considered.

I agree, Dizzerak. A search button dedicated to sorting member's by location would actually do alot to allieveiate the problem. However, many members elect to either not put they're location, or they put something amusing. I believe an example of that is Flying Squirl, although I could be wrong.

@Kensai

When I mentioned ranks, I wasn't intending for a whole ranking system. Take a look at the way the 501st organizes they're garrisons. You've got maybe 50+ standard members, all of whom are at the same status, no one is more important then another. But you've also got two leaders who are in charge of things like organization, planning, names, etc. They aren't really in command, they just take care of the paperwork and meatspace planning.

Even the Captains and 1st Lieutenants wouldn't possess any actual command status, just extra jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
LastSpartan said:
Yeah, like an executive officer and a logistic one.

Exactly. They wouldn't be able to order other members around, they just get assigned jobs like figuring out when everybody gets together at a convention.

Actually, if anything, it'd probably be less fun to be a Captain or 1st Lieutenant then a regular member.

If the current local groups are unorganized, making them "official" isn't going to suddenly make them organized. It is upon the forums members to organize themselves. Look at the Southern California 'regiment'. Before it was just a thread saying "who's in socal?", but thanks to something as simple as one member, Olaf the Sarge, taking it upon themselves to make a logo everyone can put in their signature, things have taken off. Now we have a more organization, such as an update thread listing member locations and MrOreo has even set up a google map to track everyone with a quick glance.

Perhaps the biggest thing is getting your own sub-forum. If the the California companies continue to grow and get more organized, I'd like to see about setting that up with one of the mods eventually.

I think Kensai's post says it best. There's so much still to contribute to the 405th community as a whole before the focus should shift to local groups.

Trooper0621 said:
If the current local groups are unorganized, making them "official" isn't going to suddenly make them organized. It is upon the forums members to organize themselves. Look at the Southern California 'regiment'. Before it was just a thread saying "who's in socal?", but thanks to something as simple as one member, Olaf the Sarge, taking it upon themselves to make a logo everyone can put in their signature, things have taken off. Now we have a more organization, such as an update thread listing member locations and MrOreo has even set up a google map to track everyone with a quick glance.

The objective of the Companies concept isn't so much to make it more organized as it is to make locating people easier. True, a single thread is pretty much all you need, but it starts gumming up, and once the thread is buried under a few pages, you stop getting posts. Kinda looses it's purpose after about a week.

Hopefully, if the 405th were to integrate a sub-division, and actual sub-threads are added, then it should help clear the problem immediately.

Foreword: I know I'm still new here and might not know what I'm talking about. But this is just my opinion on what I understand of the topic. Forgive me if I repeat what others have already said.

I guess the debate really boils down to whether the 405th wants to be a top down or a bottom up organization.

Personally, I think that, if companies were to form that had local "leaders" that were organized, trustworthy, and responsible then it could possibly result in better organization, better quality builds, and more fun for everyone involved.

One small example: Here in GA a group of friends and I are getting into building costumes. We go to cons together, hang out, and use our strengths for the builds. For the builds, I do the main building and electrical, another person does fiberglass, another does painting, etc. For cons, one person is in charge of reserving the room and collecting money, another person is in charge of organizing transportation/arrival schedules, another person is in charge of making sure everyone gets their tickets, and someone else is organizing people that aren't in costume to be handlers for people that are in costume.

In my opinion, having a local group of friends to do all of this with has made the experience that much better. Seeking to organize a local "Company" "Regiment" or whatever you want to call it is just an extension of this. A greater pool of resources. This wouldn't be a matter of saying, "Be here or you're not part of the group." but a way of saying, "Hey, if you want to go to D*C we're setting up a car pool. It'll help save time and money."

If someone starts organizing the 405th for a big national convention, it would then be easier to have a single point of contact that can then just turn in a list of confirmed/maybes.

And isn't that what the 405th is about? Helping others and having fun doing it?

I agree completely with the above post. As stated before, the community already is a huge group of individuals and we all try to help each other out. Farris made a great point in the fact that if we make official groups a part of the 405th, people will probably be more modivated to cooperate with each other, leading to better quality armor for everyone. Not to mention that organizing con trips would be much easier if we did this.

- Adulese

Short and sweet: If you want to organize your own little groups, great. Go for it. Just don't attach the 405th name(in any way, shape, or form) to it without permission first.

Also, patience is a virtue.

I read your first post, but none of the replies. I don't feel like reading all of them because I already have my answer. While I do not want to shoot this down the 405th is no way shape or form a club. In order to have groups the 405th name attached, the charter must be finished. Go ahead started a group,but don't attach the 405th name to it. Honestly, as far as forums go i think we need a seperate subforum for organising at conventions cus right now they kinda get lost in the jumble.

Edit:

For some reason I feel the need to explain this. But in JROTC its Company Commander (usually a captain), Company Executive Officer (XO - usually a 1st or 2nd Lt.), and Company Projects Officer (CPO - usually a 1st or 2nd Lt. ...thats me :p). Like I said for some reason I feel the need to explain. Bleh, me and my OCDness...

1. Not even 1000 members are actually active on the site. No where near it, actually. Member count =/= Active members

2. If the 405th turned into a 501st of Halo, I know I'm leaving. The 405th seems much better when everyone is an equal.

3. It's up to the local groups to organize themselves, and get rid of any and all problems that may be an obstacle, before considering themselves an actual group. People need to think before saying that anyone within some 200-500 miles can be a part of their group. If these "local group" leaders would take travel, expenses, and meet ups into consideration, it'd be much more organized.

4. The 405th has a lot more problems to deal with before considering making "companies" or "battalions" or whatever you want to call it. Diving into a 2 foot deep pool won't help the 405th at all

Too lazy to reread the OP, maybe later. But that's about all I can think of right now

OK, I have read every single post here and looked deeply at what every person here has said. I may still be a novice to this site but as always with age come experience. I have been a member of almost every Sci-Fi group that is out there currently I am a member of the Colonial Defense Forces and I will use this as an example. In our group yes we have regions of members in diffrent states and yes it makes it a little hard communicating between members but the point I am getting to is that we have ranks in our group and the one thing that causes a problem there is there can be arguments of one member trying to outdo another member while here in the 405th we are all equals the only diffrence is the number of posts that we have, thats all that makes us diffrent here as a group. I can agree that a lot of the people that have only showed up and made one post and that person joined up a long time ago and the bots really need to get cleared from the member list so that it is not as cluttered. When you think of it, it is all about the group as a whole whether it is one person at a convention or a big number of people at a convention we are still representing the 405th as a group whether we are doing charity work in our community, going to conventions or just showing up for a game release we are all one thing, a group. It does not matter whether we are divided into regions, squads, or whatever you would like to call it we are all stiff a whole and even if we are not divided you can still get with a member in your area whether close to you or at a con and work on your armor together. Me personally I think I may be the only person in Arkansas with a ODST outfit or I may be the only one here in AR that does Pep work but with what I do and with what this group does there will always be new talent and new members coming in all the time, it's just how we help each other that makes the diffrence.

You guys want to get together locally go for it. Members working together is how Soaring Hammer got started.

Just remember that though you may REPRESENT 405th as forum members you are not OFFICIAL 405th company division whatever.

And look for folks in your area that post. It's right there under the avatar. If a person is not posting, chances are they are not working on things or are too busy to mess with it right then.

Been talked to death so locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back