Z-250 Directed Energy Weapon - Game asset model printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serin

Yo,

Using the in-game model of the light rifle as a basis I've started printing one.
Probably counts as cheating.. But game-accurate prints are basically what I'm all about.

The awesome thing about the original model is that it includes the strips that the rifles glowing lines are rendered on, so all one needs to do is extrude them inwards to create a channel for EL strips and wire.
The *relative* downside is that some of the more intricate details are textured as opposed to modelled, so one has either to forget about them or model them oneself.

YYpTxxL.jpg

iVLVQB1.jpg

dcz3W08.jpg

Attachments

• YYpTxxL.jpg
    YYpTxxL.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 284
  • iVLVQB1.jpg
    iVLVQB1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 332
  • dcz3W08.jpg
    dcz3W08.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 265
Little bit of progress and modification for EL tape lighting, some form of trigger and a few battery cases.

blw8htE.jpg

GBO4Rxo.png

Attachments

• blw8htE.jpg
    blw8htE.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 288
  • GBO4Rxo.png
    GBO4Rxo.png
    362.3 KB · Views: 288
Doubt it, I'm printing with ABS which is a hell of a lot stronger than PLA,
It's also 85% hollow so the total weight shouldn't be that nasty.

Man all these awesome print builds really makes me want a 3D printer. I just have to convince myself and the wife to part with the money.

Harrison at Volpin gave me an idea....

Light Rifle kit?
Some assembly required...
elNmdMu.jpg

Not much progress on the first version, been a little too busy to get it finished >.<

Attachments

• elNmdMu.jpg
    elNmdMu.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 253
Pretty much necroing my own thread here....
Finally done! After two fairly major printer malfunctions I'm back online and spitting out lovely lovely carcinogenic plastic.

GfpwyUJ.jpg

BTCESJW.jpg

Attachments

• BTCESJW.jpg
    BTCESJW.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 292
  • GfpwyUJ.jpg
    GfpwyUJ.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 281
Yay thread revival!!!!! It's looking great, can't wait for finished product. What printer are you using?

I am saving up for a printer (I've got about $3,000 saved up so far for one). I was thinking about going with a Makerbot or 3Dsystems printer but I'd love to know what printer you are using. It appears to have a pretty decent printing resolution :)

Great job on the light rifle!

I am saving up for a printer (I've got about $3,000 saved up so far for one). I was thinking about going with a Makerbot or 3Dsystems printer but I'd love to know what printer you are using. It appears to have a pretty decent printing resolution :)

Great job on the light rifle!

3 grand ought to do it!
I'm using a lowly Solidoodle 2 at the moment, but it's been modified and calibrated to produce decent quality prints at 1mm resolution.
I'd personally recommend staying away from Makerbot on the ethics alone, their parent company is attempting to sue the heads off any other small start-up who uses their ridiculous patents like heated beds... Not really the best thing for the future industry or technology in general.

We're I to suggest a printer it would certainly be one of the 'Ord Bot Hadron' variety.
Very ridged construction allows for both fast and accurate prints, plus it's all open-source so parts can be found cheaply and easily when they need replacement.
I myself am currently saving up my Shapeways sales for a Punch-Tec ConnectXL which is a dual extruder variation of Hadron-ish type.

Also, thanks mate :) I'm fairly happy with how it came out, just need to set about fixing the bits that need fixing then it's onto EL wiring and finishing.

3 grand ought to do it!
I'm using a lowly Solidoodle 2 at the moment, but it's been modified and calibrated to produce decent quality prints at 1mm resolution.
I'd personally recommend staying away from Makerbot on the ethics alone, their parent company is attempting to sue the heads off any other small start-up who uses their ridiculous patents like heated beds... Not really the best thing for the future industry or technology in general.

We're I to suggest a printer it would certainly be one of the 'Ord Bot Hadron' variety.
Very ridged construction allows for both fast and accurate prints, plus it's all open-source so parts can be found cheaply and easily when they need replacement.
I myself am currently saving up my Shapeways sales for a Punch-Tec ConnectXL which is a dual extruder variation of Hadron-ish type.

Also, thanks mate :) I'm fairly happy with how it came out, just need to set about fixing the bits that need fixing then it's onto EL wiring and finishing.

I was thinking about using EL lighting for my 'Busa suit but when I researched it some more I found the light doesn't show up very well in a lit room because it's phosphorous based (at least that's what I read but I could be very wrong.)

I had heard about the Makerbot suing smaller companies which is never a good thing in such an up-and-coming technological advancement. At the same time, I was also going to go with them because of the fact that they are a big company, so should something break it would be easy to fix. I have even thought about using the printer to create another printer that had a larger printing area and then gut the old one and use the electronics for the bigger one (with some minor modifications to the software to allow for the bigger building area.) Just a thought haha. I've worked with 3D printers and cnc machines in high school so I'm very familiar with that kind of manufacturing (I think we had a Dimensions rapid prototyper). I think 3D printing is the future of prop manufacturing (much easier and cleaner than CNC machines).

Anyways, I'll be keeping a close eye on this build :)

Very very slow progress.
I've chosen to use blue as opposed to red for the EL lighting perhaps because I find the Liberians character to be much more in line with my own philosophies about life as opposed to the Ur-Didacts.
Shall be using about 6 of these along the central hollow core of the rifle, they'll be powered by a set of batteries within the battery compartment just forward of the grip.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/415
Might also get some reflective tape and plaster the walls of the core to enhance the light-output a little.

sXcglmH.jpg

Attachments

• sXcglmH.jpg
    sXcglmH.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 264
How did you modify the model for 3d printing? I downloaded a model of the Z-250, but it has some weird geometry (there are multiple meshes that aren’t connected). I tried fixing it with several STL repair services, messed around in MeshMixer and Blender, but nothing worked. How did you deal with this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back