Zercon: Introduction, and Project (Skirmisher)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been watching this for a bit, but havent been able to post up r/t the verification process... This thing looks stellar.
As for armor vs detail... I say throw some more detail out there.

Just a tiny post today, nothing substantial completed that I felt was worthy of being posted other than the tongue.

progress25.jpg

It is made of 'Dragon Skin' rubber that was dyed with 'flesh' and 'blood' pigments. I worry though as the entire thing has cured except the 'skin' layer, which is still tacky even a few hours after it should be done. I think there was some kind of chemical reaction where it didn't want to cure fully in its mold. So I ripped it out of the casing, and am hoping it will air cure just fine.

Yeah, I made the clay model yesterday, textured it with sandpaper and a wire mesh, then poured the mold box and let it cure overnight. This morning I cleaned the mold out, and poured the Dragon Skin in. Time will only tell if this will come out how I want it XD

Your attention to detail is astounding. I think someone in Hollywood needs to find this thread. They could really use talent like yours. I can't wait to see how this all comes together in the end. ^.^

lol, that tongue looks awesome. Your work is amazing, and I too can't wait to see all this come together in the end!
With the attention to detail you've used so far, I'm pretty sure it's going to look like a Skirmisher just hopped out of the game into real life.

The Tongue was a bust. Turns out my mold was a Tin-Cure mold, while the rubber I poured in was a Platinum-Cure. In short, they don’t mix and the thing will never cure, and it ruined my original mold. As such, I had to make a new mold entirely from scratch. Luckily the original clay tongue didn't need many repairs and I kept ahold of it for some reason so replacement was no issue. I opted just for a rotocast plastic tongue due to it being lighter and far more reliable in the long run.

The demo/test head was primed, and then bolted together for a hinged jaw. The tongue was glued in, and then I decided to paint it for shits and giggles. It isn't fully how the finals will come out, but you can see an idea of what it could come out like.

progress26.jpg

I am waiting now on getting some bulk tinfoil to start building the throat, and in the meantime working on other projects.

Wow. That head looks amazing! If you are putting as much attention to detail in the entire Skirmisher, as you are the head, then this thing is going to be epic.

if the rest of the outfit is gonna be as stunning as the head, you'll look way better then the skirmishers used in the forward unto dawn movie... ;)

As always thank you so much for the kind words, they really do mean a lot to me.

In regards to how long I have been doing this, I have honestly always loved making costumes and little props, but it isn't until recently I have had the money to try some of the 'big boy' stuff such as molding and the like. So I have always had the ambition, but only until now have I had the means.

Either way...

For the past... however long it has been... I have been in personal denial over the chest piece. Telling myself "It only looks big but you got to remember your seeing out of the throat so it'll be proportioned!" In the end, I am coming to terms slowly with the fact that it's too big and I likely need to make another chest piece. v.v

I am scared to simply try to cut it smaller, as then certain areas will be disproportional, in the end; however it took me three days to construct it the first time. Imagining it done again but... smaller? Is rather a haunting task with all the tiny pieces.

The same issue happened with the hip/codpiece. I think my personal image of my body size is way off as I could have sworn I proportioned this correctly. Instead I got GIANT GRANNY PANTIES.

progress27f.jpg

From the side? It is perfect. It is meant to have that 'tail' of metal down the back. But from the front it's stretched ridiculously so to a point I got 3+ inches on each side. I am thinking of just cutting it in four places and overlapping the chunks to make it smaller, but would love input on the best way to do this for the hip and chest armor.

now i feel like my unfolds stink :( sorry zercon (hangs head) i haven't had much experience cutting pieces like you are talking about so I don't think i can be of much help there. but if you need me to resize everything for you send me an email. i think i still have everything saved. also if you have more objects to unfold send em my way if you like. good to see you here again :)

now i feel like my unfolds stink :( sorry zercon (hangs head) i haven't had much experience cutting pieces like you are talking about so I don't think i can be of much help there. but if you need me to resize everything for you send me an email. i think i still have everything saved. also if you have more objects to unfold send em my way if you like. good to see you here again :)

Oh no the unfolds are great, it's my proportions that are wrong in the 3D files. And my own skewed image of my own body size XD Like I said the buttplate is the right size and everything, the entire thing is just too wide. If it was made any thinner in the unwrap stage? Then it would not have fit on the other axis at all. So stop blamin' yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back