Ziebster's WIP Halo (5?) Xbox One Trailer Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziebster

Jr Member
(this post is to let anyone know that this thread has been converted to my new and improved build which will actually be happening. My prior build to this was an ODST build but the initial helmet was too large due to insufficient scaling on my part. Welcome to the new and improved thread)

Hello fellow 405th'rs! My name is Ziebster, and I have started a new project!

Before getting to the project that I've started on, I would like to introduce you to how it came about:

This idea for this project started on my way home from a college visit (off to college soon, pretty exciting!) when we stopped at the Hobby store formerly known as "Dick Blick" where I found myself staring at a roll of canvas that went on forever, which got me thinking of the new Halo trailer that Xbox One put out with Master Chief in those desert robes and I thought to myself "hey, there's 15 days before halloween, why not go as Master Chief?" And that is how this costume started!

I began by going to my latest general store (Wal-Mart) and purchasing a stack of cardstock, Fiberglass Resin, Body Filler Bondo, and enough red solo cups to hold all the varius materials needed for this project (and before you comment, I know that using red solo cups for holding chemicals such as bondo, resin, rondo, etc. is a bad idea because the cups are slightly dissolve, give off toxic odors, yadayada. I found this out the hard way later, but it was fine due to the quick disposal of the contaminated objects due to prior experimentation in figuring out that this happened). After that, pretty much every day consisted of me slowly cutting out the pieces for KingRahl's helmet (which apparently is not as accurate as the video game Halo 4's helmet but whatever I'll fix that). Even throughout school to get this project done in only 15 days I knew I had to cut the pieces out there. Finally, October 30th I had finished putting this helmet together. I spent October 3rd going out and buying 9 yards (diagram below) of khaki for the cloak, and finished resining and rondoing the inside of the helmet halloween night for the costumes debut.

voxa.jpg

As you can see, the costume is nowhere near completion (but people loved it!) So I figured that I would start a thread here and update it as I get work done on this costume for next halloween, or the release of Halo 5 (whichever comes first)!

Photo gallery thus far:

Initial Master Chief Cloak (no helmet) hood up
f0hs.jpg

hood down
j88t.jpg

Helmet by itself, fully rondo'd/bondo'd and such
p44b.jpg

Blueprint used for the khaki initially
kpwk.png

Blueprint being used for the more finished project (from left to right: initial middle poncho thing refitted with new hood design, back of large poncho thing, new and improved middle poncho thing blueprint)
tle6.png

Things that have been done:
Obtaining the Cortana AI chip
Resizing of the hood

Things that still need to be done: (suggestions are welcome!)

Creating the forearm pieces of the armor
Creating the glove pieces of the armor
Sanding of the helmet
Detailing of the helmet
Painting of the helmet
Visor install on the helmet
Add the rivets to the helmet
Resizing of the middle poncho cloak thing
Resizing of the largest poncho cloak thing
Dying and staining the khaki a slightly darker brown
Fray the edges of the Poncho
Wear it (as in wear and tear, not dress up!)
Chop all the edges of the poncho
And more!

Hope you like it, and hope you enjoy my rollercoaster of a year getting this thing ready to really debut!

Special thanks to my parents for supporting me and helping where I needed it, my sister for extra help, http://www.servantsofthelight.org/knowledge/makingrobes.html for the basic blueprint for the hood and poncho, KingRahl for all (so far) of the peps I have used, and my friends for liking what I've created thus far!

glue fix

i use a very thin coat of rubber cement. You can also use super glue, the resin will also seal it up as long as the hole isnt to big, and the resin is a decent thickness

(this is just to draw attention to this thread again, pretty much a repost of the first page but since it was modified the first post technically was created the same day I am making this post to my thread, this seemed necessary)

Hello fellow 405th'rs! My name is Ziebster, and I have started a new project!

Before getting to the project that I've started on, I would like to introduce you to how it came about:

This idea for this project started on my way home from a college visit (off to college soon, pretty exciting!) when we stopped at the Hobby store formerly known as "Dick Blick" where I found myself staring at a roll of canvas that went on forever, which got me thinking of the new Halo trailer that Xbox One put out with Master Chief in those desert robes and I thought to myself "hey, there's 15 days before halloween, why not go as Master Chief?" And that is how this costume started!

I began by going to my latest general store (Wal-Mart) and purchasing a stack of cardstock, Fiberglass Resin, Body Filler Bondo, and enough red solo cups to hold all the varius materials needed for this project (and before you comment, I know that using red solo cups for holding chemicals such as bondo, resin, rondo, etc. is a bad idea because the cups are slightly dissolve, give off toxic odors, yadayada. I found this out the hard way later, but it was fine due to the quick disposal of the contaminated objects due to prior experimentation in figuring out that this happened). After that, pretty much every day consisted of me slowly cutting out the pieces for KingRahl's helmet (which apparently is not as accurate as the video game Halo 4's helmet but whatever I'll fix that). Even throughout school to get this project done in only 15 days I knew I had to cut the pieces out there. Finally, October 30th I had finished putting this helmet together. I spent October 3rd going out and buying 9 yards (diagram below) of khaki for the cloak, and finished resining and rondoing the inside of the helmet halloween night for the costumes debut.

voxa.jpg

As you can see, the costume is nowhere near completion (but people loved it!) So I figured that I would start a thread here and update it as I get work done on this costume for next halloween, or the release of Halo 5 (whichever comes first)!

Photo gallery thus far:

Initial Master Chief Cloak (no helmet) hood up
f0hs.jpg

hood down
j88t.jpg

Helmet by itself, fully rondo'd/bondo'd and such
p44b.jpg

Blueprint used for the khaki initially
kpwk.png

Blueprint being used for the more finished project (from left to right: initial middle poncho thing refitted with new hood design, back of large poncho thing, new and improved middle poncho thing blueprint)
tle6.png

Things that still need to be done:

Creating the forearm pieces of the armor
Creating the glove pieces of the armor
Obtaining the Cortana AI chip
Sanding of the helmet
Detailing of the helmet
Painting of the helmet
Visor install on the helmet
Resizing of the hood
Resizing of the middle poncho cloak thing
Resizing of the largest poncho cloak thing
Stressing of the edge of all the khaki
Dying the khaki a slightly darker brown
And more!

Hope you like it, and hope you enjoy my rollercoaster of a year getting this thing ready to really debut!

Special thanks to my parents for supporting me and helping where I needed it, my sister for extra help, http://www.servantsofthelight.org/knowledge/makingrobes.html for the basic blueprint for the hood and poncho, KingRahl for all (so far) of the peps I have used, and my friends for liking what I've created thus far!

ALRIGHT, JUST A QUICK UPDATE

After successfully cutting out the new hood, I rewatched the video and it seems that the middle-sized poncho and the neck poncho are larger in the back and front than on the sides, so I'm going to be resizing them by getting more fabric to fix those up. Also, the hood came out a bit on the big side, so I'll be scaling that down as well. Expect pictures in the future!

Few things I'd add to your 'to do' list:
Add the rivets
Consider staining it, for inconsistent color
Chop all the edges to make it very inconsistent

I'm super excited to see how you pull this off. Remember, though, that this costume is 90% poncho and only 10% MC, so really pay as close attention to detail as you can. Nothing looks worse than something that's supposed to be stressed and worn, looking in great shape! Not saying yours will, it's still very much developmental and you've already outlined your plans to change it up some :]
In the video it looks like he's been walking in the desert for days, so you have to make yours look like it's been in the desert for days. I'd suggest a method I used a long time ago for stressing jeans, which was to throw them into a wheel barrow filled with saturated salt water, and setting bricks on it to keep it down. After a day or two it looked extremely well worn and stressed.
Good luck on this, I'm subbing so keep us posted ;)

This could turn out great! This project is really depending on the small nitty gritty details. Seems like you are on the right path though! :)

Few things I'd add to your 'to do' list:
Add the rivets
Consider staining it, for inconsistent color
Chop all the edges to make it very inconsistent

I'm super excited to see how you pull this off. Remember, though, that this costume is 90% poncho and only 10% MC, so really pay as close attention to detail as you can. Nothing looks worse than something that's supposed to be stressed and worn, looking in great shape! Not saying yours will, it's still very much developmental and you've already outlined your plans to change it up some :]
In the video it looks like he's been walking in the desert for days, so you have to make yours look like it's been in the desert for days. I'd suggest a method I used a long time ago for stressing jeans, which was to throw them into a wheel barrow filled with saturated salt water, and setting bricks on it to keep it down. After a day or two it looked extremely well worn and stressed.
Good luck on this, I'm subbing so keep us posted ;)

Thanks for the ideas, and they're added! I plan on going all out on this, which means every single nitty gritty detail to the helmet (and really all of the details not seen in the trailer present in halo 4) I'll be trying to put in. Currently my one goal with the helmet is to simply get it less warped from the bondo'ing and resin'ing which shouldn't be too much work, and the one goal with the poncho is simply to get it together! And don't worry, I'll keep this thread going!

This could turn out great! This project is really depending on the small nitty gritty details. Seems like you are on the right path though! :)

Thanks! Glad to hear the positive feedback on my project!

PICTURE UPDATE:

alright, this is just an opinion thing, but do you guys like how I'm distressing the cloth edges in this picture? Do you think if I do it all over it will match the rugged style of cloth Master Chief wears?

9ltt.jpg

This is the old neck poncho if anyone was wondering, just testing the distressing on it to see how it will turn out, and so far it looks pretty good so far!

What you have so far is looking really nice. I see that this project is all in the tiny details, and there is one that I think you are missing. You have a seam in the middle of the hood that isn't there in the actual thing. The wind kinda presses the hood to his helmet so that you can see it's shape pretty well through it. If you look at the center of his head, you can see there is no seam.

I see a lot of potential in your build here, and I don't think you want something silly and (seemingly) simple messing it up. Feel free to ignore my advice if it is too much work to fix.

and that distressing is pretty good :)

What you have so far is looking really nice. I see that this project is all in the tiny details, and there is one that I think you are missing. You have a seam in the middle of the hood that isn't there in the actual thing. The wind kinda presses the hood to his helmet so that you can see it's shape pretty well through it. If you look at the center of his head, you can see there is no seam.

I see a lot of potential in your build here, and I don't think you want something silly and (seemingly) simple messing it up. Feel free to ignore my advice if it is too much work to fix.

and that distressing is pretty good :)

You raise a good point. I will have to see what I can do, but I can probably get this fixed without too much trouble ;)

PICTURE UPDATE:
alright, this is just an opinion thing, but do you guys like how I'm distressing the cloth edges in this picture? Do you think if I do it all over it will match the rugged style of cloth Master Chief wears?

While doing it all over would look good, the main problem is going over the top. If you have a close look at the video, not all of the edges seem to be distressed. Other than that, this looks brilliant!

Thanks for the ideas, and they're added! I plan on going all out on this, which means every single nitty gritty detail to the helmet (and really all of the details not seen in the trailer present in halo 4) I'll be trying to put in. Currently my one goal with the helmet is to simply get it less warped from the bondo'ing and resin'ing which shouldn't be too much work, and the one goal with the poncho is simply to get it together! And don't worry, I'll keep this thread going!

The distressing looks great!
Trust me, nobody will think you're weird for dragging it down the road with some bricks on it. It's perfectly normal.
Can't wait to see how this comes out. Good luck!

While doing it all over would look good, the main problem is going over the top. If you have a close look at the video, not all of the edges seem to be distressed. Other than that, this looks brilliant!

Good eye, currently that style that I have in that picture will probably what I will do on my largest poncho. The middle poncho is torn up like nobody's business, and the third poncho is more or less just cut in slits across the front and moderately torn up in the back, a mix between the large poncho and the middle poncho. The hood is all good, one piece, no modifications!

You should weight down the end and drag it over something fought like asphalt to give it some weathering detail

Sounds like a good idea, but where I live its pretty rainy, the leaves are falling off the trees, and that means snow is on the way, so if I go through with this kind of idea I will have to do it probably much later.

INFORMATIONAL UPDATE:

After finally deciding, I've decided to cut my largest poncho a bit because I can use it to currently blanket a family of twelve it's so large on the bottom. I will be cutting off around 46" from both sides of the semicircle on the back, leaving enough room in the back so I can still move as much as the poncho in the video with the bagginess of the poncho in the video.

Among cutting these two 46" sections off the back semicircle, I will be able to save on resources and use one of the semicircles to create the new re-sized smallest poncho, and the other to create the seamless hood brought to my attention by Spartan1313 with very little room to spare! Saving money is a key to this build.

And a final heads up, in case anyone wants to know how I am basing these sizes of circles for the ponchos, I am 6'1" tall, so from the base of my neck to my toes was roughly 5', or 60" for the largest circles radius.

The next circle (which I am redoing to a size of 40" of the radius because of the video's length in the back being astronomically large) I measured from the base of my neck to about my belt which was about 30", but after re-watching the video a few times I see that the thing should have been measured to my fingertips for the front (which is closer to 35" for the radius) while the back is nearly down to his feet (around 20" off his feet) which is why I'll be going with a new circle with a radius of 40" and just trim it down in the front a bit to the point where I like it.

The final circle I measured from the base of my neck to the tips of my shoulders, and added the radius of my neck (which is about 4") and got around 12.5", but in the video the back stretches much farther than that, so the semicircle will be re-sized to a circle with a radius of 12.5" but in the back closer to around 17.5" or even 20" depending on how much fabric I have to work with.

Hope you guys like what I've shown off so far, sorry there aren't as much pictures as you may hope. I've made a test hood which is the whopping 36" long (with the seam on the top) and it is just too long, so for the seamless hood I'm shaving 6" off the back end so it will fit comfortably and desirably in scale with the rest of the costume. More updates soon!

Hello everyone!

This is just a little heads-up to anyone following this thread and wanting to know what is happening currently with this build! Right now, I am in the process of moving from Illinois over to the nice warm state of Arizona! This is really the only reason I have not updated this thread at all in the last month. Once my family and I get situated down there and I can crack out this costume I will resume work again! Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back