Props 40k Nerf Recon/Bolt pistol build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh, I didn't think it was wood. Come to think of it, I think we used to use some in tech at school. Probably should have recognised it :p

I know it's annoying when people quote pictures, but you have done a really kick ass job of making that look like it should just be there.
Really awesome job so far Combust, nay ideas for the paint job/scheme?

Thanks man! And its actually not to hard to use, which was another dread i had.

Ok for paint im planning grey undercoat:

6438738219_b1c10edb80_z.jpg

6438735271_1fb751812a_z.jpg

Then a silver base and a satin seal. From there im going to try my hand at the mustard trick, putting a thin line of mustard over the exposed edges and (mask off the top) painting a base of black over the main section of the gun. Then when dry, mask off the bottom and paint the top in a red. When dry pick the areas with mustard off so you see the silver underneath. Then weather with silver for the high wear areas and blacken some other areas. Should look awesome! (crosses fingers as ive not tried this method before lol)

Cheers,

This is looking great sir....its nice to it coming down to the home stretch. Good luck on the finishing paint!!

-Matt

Another quick update. After i think 6 coats of paint im on the final few steps.

2x Silver coat. (Note on the left you can see my finger prints from where i caught it when it fell... Grrr! A quick sand and they mostly cleaned up.)
6456641873_ca6a30aefc_z.jpg

6456653177_93b822cf75_z.jpg

Mustard coating the edges.
6456656627_2e255fefa6_z.jpg

2 coats of black.
6456670653_cd8f79fb0c_z.jpg

Next on the list is to pull the mask off and reverse it. Mask everything but the bit that wasnt covered. Add mustard to the edges again, then paint in red. Im actually thinking of doing a matte then gloss red in two steps to have an 'under layer' show through. We will see if i have any time. This needs to be done by the 11th for a nerf blaster modding comp :D

Anyway after everything cures the mustard has to be picked off and cleaned to show the silver underneath. Then comes the standard weathering and it should be sweet!

Cheers!

Ok so that mustard must be filled with colours because it stained the silver underneath! Grr! Ok so i guess i will have to paint and hand touch-up the chipped paint areas with silver paint.

Pics later today.

So here you can see the slight goldd/yellow/green tinge to the silver... BAH! Anyway ill paint over it a little to try and cut the tinge back to silver.

6463110177_bd53335d4a_z.jpg

Taped up and ready for red. Matte and then gloss i think. double layer.
6463112965_e3c24840a6_z.jpg

Cheers,

So here you can see the slight goldd/yellow/green tinge to the silver... BAH! Anyway ill paint over it a little to try and cut the tinge back to silver.

Bugger, I've heard you can get the same effect using the same technique, but using vaseline instead of mustard.
Of course I haven't tried it myself (i usually paint on the silver/damage), so I can't promise that that would work but it may be something to keep in mind for next time.

Looking really good, can't wait to see the red on it.

Here is some red!

Yay for awesome red paint! (Quality i think will be the order of the day.)
6468500843_20221b1db3_z.jpg

The masking is off and all the raised areas picked off. Impressive! Although it definately makes the stained areas stand out. Also, YAY! It looks good! lol
6468503019_0ca544bd70_z.jpg

6468505217_5839086f7f_z.jpg

Now for the greebles, the purity seal for example.
6468507487_23357e5d1a_z.jpg

Still on the to do list:
- Print the purity seal text and weather.
- Weather the gun itself. Dark red and black for the red. Silver and grey for the black areas.
- Seal with satin.
- Mount and glue the eagle crests.

Has to be finished in less than 4 days.

Cheers,

Bugger, I've heard you can get the same effect using the same technique, but using vaseline instead of mustard.
Of course I haven't tried it myself (i usually paint on the silver/damage), so I can't promise that that would work but it may be something to keep in mind for next time.

Looking really good, can't wait to see the red on it.

Ive just been told that blutack can do the same thing! I kinda like the idea of no clean up afterwards. Wish id known (Perhaps tested.. ) this beforehand lol.

Second last update!

Lots of coats of cherry red gloss, 3 coats of gloss clearcoat, writing up come latin 40k quotes with artwork:
6479129007_bf17965805_z.jpg

After about 3 hours of weathering and 2 coats of satin clearcoat she is looking awesome!
6479124381_3beff1f571_z.jpg

Sweet! Better than i thought it would turn out but i can see where i went wrong! Its always the way lol. For now im basking in the Emperors glory :D
6479117597_4c861456e1_z.jpg

6479121511_90e12cb5bd_z.jpg

Cheers,

Looks really good man, is the black that light in real life? Or is it just the photos?
Have you fired it yet?

Greetings, its been a while :)

So to pair with this build ive build a chain sword:
7439331494_4fd081cc58_c.jpg

So little effort was put into this but the result was quite good.. from a distance heh.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back