Aqua Resining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I live in Australia and have no idea where to find aqua resin. I was wondering if it is really that necessary. Could I just not use resin and move straight on to fiber glassing? And if I do need to use resin couldn't I just use some sort of water based glue and coat it in that? Thanks

You don't need it. Aqua Resin is just an alternative to polyester resin. If you can't get ahold of aqua resin, just use regular resin (it's what most of us do).

Just be sure to use a respirator because resin is toxic.

I would suggest you browse the stickies a bit. I feel they would be able to answer a lot of your questions, because you're bound to have more even if we don't answer this one thoroughly enough. As it is, you do not need Aqua Resin - regular fiberglass resin will do the trick. Aqua Resin is effectively a non-toxic version that doesn't require the same safety precautions that typical fiberglass resin does. Can you use glue instead? No. Don't do that. Resin is exceptionally stronger and harder than glue, and when combined with fiberglass (like it's designed to be), it forms an extremely rigid surface in whatever shape it's applied.

People coat their pieces in fiberglass resin (without the fiberglass) to add some general rigidity and structural support before doing the fiberglass because oddities occur, and pieces can get warped in the process. It's good practice to do that, and you run the risk or ruining your piece if you skip that step. So don't skip it. If you can't find Aqua Resin, don't worry. There are many other options - particularly your standard fiberglass resin (and seeing how you're in AussieLand, you're in the middle of summer and won't have to worry about working temperatures, lucky!). So check out the stickies, read things like the Strengthening section here, and good luck.

however if you do want to switch to Aqua Resin then it should be at a local auto shop or something similar.

NAGA prety much covered the reson/fiberglassing part... but if you are short on cash and need a cheep but fairly effective way to strengthen your armor, i'd use the HOT glue method...

the hot glue method is a way to layer the inside of your armor with hot glue. Here are some of the tings you will need...

A portable electric stove (might already have, otherwise, they are cheap)

Several Paint brushes with hairs, not foam brushes

Pie/coffee tin

Your armor piece

and hot glue (2 pakets is around enough for a helmet)

HOW TO USE...

plug in your electric stove and turn it on to around medum heat.

put your pie/coffie tin on the stove then add the hot glue. wait for it to melt.

using your paint brushes take some hot glue and apply it on the inside of your armor. Let it dry between layers.

after you have your desired thickness of glue, its ready to bondo/paint the outside!

SUPER HOT GLUE CAN AND WILL BURN SKIN!! WHERE LONG SLEEVES, PANTS, AND WORKSHOP GLOVES WHEN APPLYING GLUE!

p.s. if you are still using reson apply one layer to each side then glue.

Enjoy!

Try here if you're wanting Aqua Resin in Australia, I know it's pretty hard to find here and you probably wouldn't have much luck just searching stores for it.

As NAGA mentioned, you'll probably want to have a read through some of the stickies, particularly in the pep forum, they should have most of the info you will need. If you can't find what you're looking for after going through them try PMing a Q&A team member (that's still going right?) or drop a question in this thread

Perceptor said:
Hey, I live in Australia and have no idea where to find aqua resin. I was wondering if it is really that necessary. Could I just not use resin and move straight on to fiber glassing? And if I do need to use resin couldn't I just use some sort of water based glue and coat it in that? Thanks

I think you need RESIN in order to fiberglass. I don't think the fiberglass reacts with a glue but resin. Aqua-Resin is an alternative to regular resin but just non toxic. If you have a health issue then use Aqua-Resin if you don't use regular resin but WE highly advice a mask ventilator as aqua or not you NEED one. Happy building!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back