BiGHARYSCOTSMiN's 3D modeling quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Now that I re-read the triangles discussion I also notice that I came off sounding like a smart ass. I also apologize about that... don't know why I got so heated. It totally wasn't intended :S

Nah, you're reasonably correct. I've been modelling for a long time myself, and as far as Pepakura's concerned: I really, really don't see why people have to be so completely anal about tris and quads. I've never seen any noticeable change in smoothness or difficulty when assembling, especially considering that most unfolders tend to turn the line threshold down to 160-170 degrees anyway - which more-or-less smooths out any glaring geometry issues.

I'd be pretty insulted if somebody came into my modelling thread and just criticised my work without offering a decent explanation or a solution. "Too many triangles" isn't critique, it's just rude.

Anyways, back on-topic: it's looking good. I'm noticing a few issues I'd have to highlight with a red pen, but other than that it's looking fantastic. Well done.

Untitled-1_zpsf0d2c66b.jpg

Those triangles are disappearing!

...and the double edges are being erased! During the time I worked on this thing, the only thing I accomplished was the (almost) extermination of double edges.

Those things F______ SUCK!

Attachments

• Untitled-1_zpsf0d2c66b.jpg
    Untitled-1_zpsf0d2c66b.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 147
Untitled-1_zps126d88d7.jpg.

More updates...

To whoever wanted the Scattershot cleaned up, I've started on it.

I'll just clean up, export to obj and share. I really don't think it'll be an ideal papercraft project so no unfold is scheduled

Attachments

• Untitled-1_zps126d88d7.jpg
    Untitled-1_zps126d88d7.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 151
Soldier Torso V1.1 is complete!

Great news, it's midnight and my eyes are burning... but my tree of labor is about to bear fruit.

I've printed out my own copy, and I will change the model with any imprefections later on.

ALSO. Points you should keep in mind if you want this now:

1. Scaled to fit my skinny build, 30cm in width. Yep, I'm tiny.

2. As I've mentioned, it is an early version. It's far from perfect, and changes will be made. So, if you put this thing together and see any faults, come tell me!

3. I left out the magazine pouches so any real-magazine compatible pouches, which I am adding. The models for game-sized pouches are coming soon.

so, what do you think? I'm *YOINK* excited. Sigh, I wish today would carry on for another 60 hours, and my body not stop.

LINK MOVED TO FIRST POST, and v1 is deleted btw

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Harry, I know I been prety much absent but family and work load is crazy right now.I hope that you are enjoying 3d modeling, it is very self gratifying when you can take an idea in your head to something tangible in your hand. Don't get stuck to much on critics, but don't ignore them either, but over all just enjoy helping others out. Have fun and hopefully I will have an update as soon as possible.

Untitled-1_zps126d88d7.jpg.

More updates...

To whoever wanted the Scattershot cleaned up, I've started on it.

I'll just clean up, export to obj and share. I really don't think it'll be an ideal papercraft project so no unfold is scheduled

I plan on 3d printing it anyway >:D
Thanks dude!

Attachments

• Untitled-1_zps126d88d7.jpg
    Untitled-1_zps126d88d7.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 151
Oh *yoink* I forgot to mention Crimmson in the soldier release.

So in case anybody forgot, Crimmson gave me his "base" template which the torso piece was built off of. Although I replaced all of it, (since sketchup doesn't like foreign geometry) it was a great kick starting help. Without it, it would've taken longer.

Everybody should keep an eye on his work as well, it's good stuff. For example, he has a mantis. A MANTIS.

So Thanks to Crimmson for the help with this, (and many other things) this was a great training project!

Oh *yoink* I forgot to mention Crimmson in the soldier release.

So in case anybody forgot, Crimmson gave me his "base" template which the torso piece was built off of. Although I replaced all of it, (since sketchup doesn't like foreign geometry) it was a great kick starting help. Without it, it would've taken longer.

Everybody should keep an eye on his work as well, it's good stuff. For example, he has a mantis. A MANTIS.

So Thanks to Crimmson for the help with this, (and many other things) this was a great training project!

don't worry about it Harry, any models I upload I give the permission up front to change them as you see fit. I cleaned up the open edges on the soldier torso for you, now to get some sleeps been up all night working.

BHSMSOLDIER.jpg

I did not change the model except to get rid of the open edges, it is still the same one you up loaded minus the open edges. going to need to be unfolded again or worked over as you said it was version 1. great job by the way, enjoy and have fun.
pdo link
http://www.mediafire.com/download/s54oxgss1731s0k/BHSM SOLDIER TORSO REWORK OPEN EDGES.pdo

Attachments

• BHSMSOLDIER.jpg
    BHSMSOLDIER.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 147
OH wait wtf...

how did you do that :O

I would tell you, but I don't want people knowing the process, unless they know how, how to import pdo to blender or other programs. some modelers don't want others to change their 3d model mesh at all.

how did you do that :O

In Blender:

Edit Mode, Select all (A), Specials (W), hit 'Remove Doubles'. That usually removes most open edges, the rest of it will be recalculating faces to make sure all the geometry is facing the right way. Anything else is a geometry issue that needs some work to fix.

EDIT: Sorry, Crimmson, got there just before you, but in defence: learning a process on how to fix your models and make them better isn't the same as being able to reverse-export models.

*GASP*

So there IS hope...

Damn I should've known this sooner. I had to spend a whole two days "cleaning up" the soldier piece.

Oh well, for next time right? Thanks a bunch Arcanine. This will go a long way.

In Blender:

Edit Mode, Select all (A), Specials (W), hit 'Remove Doubles'. That usually removes most open edges, the rest of it will be recalculating faces to make sure all the geometry is facing the right way. Anything else is a geometry issue that needs some work to fix.

EDIT: Sorry, Crimmson, got there just before you, but in defence: learning a process on how to fix your models and make them better isn't the same as being able to reverse-export models.

In Blender:

ahh, I see what your are saying Arcanine. Harry I failed you by misunderstanding your response. Sorry about that.

this one had many double faces attached to different vertices. which was causing the red lines to show up in pep. I tried the auto merge editing and flipping the normal and remove doubles, it did not take them all out. I also spilt the model down the center and used the mirror modifier to get the model even on both sides, then I hit r z 90. which means rotate 90 degrees on the z axis, did as many times needed to realign the two halves. under the mirror modifier I clicked clipping , which allows the edges to merge, hit g x and dragged the model on the x axis until it collided with the other halve and realigned the model. thank you Arcanine, do you have sketch up experience by the way, I don't and I believe Harry is using sketch up primarily. I would not know how to explain the process needed in sketch up.

I would explain more but I got to get ready for work.

thank you Arcanine, do you have sketch up experience by the way.

No. I model in Blender - it's a far more powerful alternative to Sketchup, and just as free.

Here are some basic tips you'll probably need to use in Blender to get your model looking great without fuss:

• Mirror modifiers. This mirrors your model along an axis (generally the Z/up-down axis), meaning you'll get exact mirror symmetry on both halves of your model. Saves a lot of time when you're modelling something, since you don't have to duplicate the piece, flip it, recalculate the geometry and then weld the edges together. Just import one half, make sure it's all nicely lined up, and export.
  • Remove Doubles. This removes any two vertices that lie close or atop one another, which is a major cause of open edges.
  • Recalculate Faces. This makes sure that all faces are pointing the right way. Sometimes your faces aren't properly aligned, meaning you're going to get more open edges to fix - the easiest way to imagine this is to hold your hands out in front of you, next to each other, one palm upwards and one palm down, then imagining that Recalculate Faces flips one palm over so they're both facing the same way.

I'd be more than happy to write out a short, simple tutorial for Blender that might, at the very least, help you learn how to sort your open edges issues. Failing that, I'd be happy to write out a more comprehensive guideline on how to model in Blender that should teach you all the basics you'll need to model for Pepakura - it's really, really not the monster a lot of people would have you believe.

No. I model in Blender - it's a far more powerful alternative to Sketchup, and just as free.

Here are some basic tips you'll probably need to use in Blender to get your model looking great without fuss:

• Mirror modifiers. This mirrors your model along an axis (generally the Z/up-down axis), meaning you'll get exact mirror symmetry on both halves of your model. Saves a lot of time when you're modelling something, since you don't have to duplicate the piece, flip it, recalculate the geometry and then weld the edges together. Just import one half, make sure it's all nicely lined up, and export.
  • Remove Doubles. This removes any two vertices that lie close or atop one another, which is a major cause of open edges.
  • Recalculate Faces. This makes sure that all faces are pointing the right way. Sometimes your faces aren't properly aligned, meaning you're going to get more open edges to fix - the easiest way to imagine this is to hold your hands out in front of you, next to each other, one palm upwards and one palm down, then imagining that Recalculate Faces flips one palm over so they're both facing the same way.

I'd be more than happy to write out a short, simple tutorial for Blender that might, at the very least, help you learn how to sort your open edges issues. Failing that, I'd be happy to write out a more comprehensive guideline on how to model in Blender that should teach you all the basics you'll need to model for Pepakura - it's really, really not the monster a lot of people would have you believe.

I would be willing to help out as well. If you start one I have many videos on blender, still learning myself. I reference them alot

I would be willing to help out as well. If you start one I have many videos on blender, still learning myself. I reference them alot

I've recently been learning as well and could use any tips or tricks you could provide.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Another good thing about Blender -
  • The mirror modifier has an option to clip the faces against each other - meaning you get a nice, clean line between parts. Good for use on Pep models

Thanks for the support guys, and although I'm sticking with Sketchup (since it's interface is a lot easier to use) I'll definitely plug models into Blender to take advantage of those tricks.

I just have to get used to powering up the tools quickly. Like I said, Blender interface leaves me scratching my head a lot...

Thanks for the support guys, and although I'm sticking with Sketchup (since it's interface is a lot easier to use) I'll definitely plug models into Blender to take advantage of those tricks.

I just have to get used to powering up the tools quickly. Like I said, Blender interface leaves me scratching my head a lot...

You want to hear something funny, I tried sketch up and I could not get the hang of it. If it is easier or you are comfortable with sketch up stick with it. Including the times when you want to pull your hair out because of it. Just wait untill you model something, print it out, build it and just stand back and look at it with marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back