Dead Space Marker Rig Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautifully done!

I memorized the Dead Space alphabet (Unitology), and those don't translate lool

Love the attention to detail though!

Dude, I'm at loss of words. Are you sure this is your first build? It's too good to be one. Dead Space series is awesome, and you're totally right about there not being a lot of DS costumers. I'm going to want to see this finished!

Thanks :) and yes its my first build, I watched alot of youtube (how to videos) as well as scrounged around the forums and then practiced alot with eva foam. When it comes down to it, its about clean lines and nailing the effect you're trying to use for your paint scheme. I wanted a stoney metal effect and used various sponges and paint brushes for the effect I wanted. A good paint job can make or break whatever your painting.

Hey everyone, just alittle update, I had my build out for halloween, got lots of awesome positive comments about it. I've decided to put it on the shelf for now, due to the fact hunting seasons about to start and i'll be away for the next few weeks. Won't have time to work on it, but when I do I will update what I've done. In the mean time if anyone has any questions about how I did what I did to make this, please feel free to send me a message, and i'll help anyways I can. I have about 90 in progress pictures I took over the time it took to build this.
I'll still be able to log in and check the forums out while im away.
Anyways heres a storage pic for the time being!

IMG1094.jpg

IMG1093.jpg

Helmet = badass. I always loved the original Engineer suit, especially when you upgraded it to about lvl 5 or 6. :D But the one in Dead Space 2 is much more "rigid" and proportionate in my opinion (you've seen my Dead Space Suit thread =P). Keep it up! can't wait to see it when it's finished! Dead Space ftw.

Helmet = badass. I always loved the original Engineer suit, especially when you upgraded it to about lvl 5 or 6. :D But the one in Dead Space 2 is much more "rigid" and proportionate in my opinion (you've seen my Dead Space Suit thread =P). Keep it up! can't wait to see it when it's finished! Dead Space ftw.

Thanks, and I agree the original just has something about it that grabbed at me. Very Epic thread btw I love how you used pepekura and foam to achieve what you've done so far. Anything Dead Space tickles my funny bone!

Since I'm still new on this site I cant post in the General Discussion section, so since this is kinda related to my Build in an inderect way, has anyone checked out the new Dead Space Catalyst book that just recently came out? Any thoughts about it?

I actually loath you for making this... Its amazing, and was always my armor of choice on Dead Space... Which is one of the best games ever... Ggrrrrr, I want one!

Ok so, I'm back from my hunting trip (brought home a black bear and a 10 point buck) now and I thought i'd post some of my 90+ in progress pictures for anyone whos curious to see how this came along.

I'll start with the helmet since its gotten the most attention, I used a small Skateboard helmet I had kicking around, took all the foam lining out of it and cut it in half, removing a 1/2" of material from the center of the helmet. I did this because the helmet without the interior foam was to large for my head. This could possibly be avoided if you used a childs size skateboard or snowboarding helmet. Now since it was my first time doing this I was experimenting, although I did have an idea in my head of what i wanted. So the easiest way was to cut a strip of 1/4" foam to place in between the 2 peices of helmet (using duct tape to hold the outside together while i fiberglassed the inside) and then using fiberglass sheets (cut to size) fiberglassed and resined the middle of the helmet, first on the inside then on the outside:

IMG810.jpg

IMG811.jpg

Heres the finished fiberglass result:

IMG841.jpg

IMG842.jpg

I then sanded it with a Mouse sander, using a fairly coarse sand paper:

IMG843.jpg

After that I bondo'd it, then sanded again and primed it:

IMG844.jpg

IMG845.jpg

IMG846.jpg

Always use saftey and wear a respirator!
IMG847.jpg

I then took a Grinding visor and cut it to size, fabricated two steel brackets on the sides and bolted them on for support and to keep the plastic in a curved shape:

IMG881.jpg

IMG882.jpg

The the fun part, cutting all the foam out and spending countless hours of quality time with my 2 glue guns! :

IMG891.jpg

IMG892.jpg

IMG893.jpg

And after the base foam was applied then I added the detail over lapping foam parts wherever I wanted raised parts. Now I used Eva foam mat for the front base foan and back of the helmet, then I used 1/4" craft foam for the rest of the helmet. Adding details as I went along. I constantly had reference pictures of what I was doing up and that definatly helps when your unsure of what your doing.

wow incredible work! I like the helmet idea a lot and I cant believe how smooth you got it sanded. Subbing and can't wait to see this completed

wow incredible work! I like the helmet idea a lot and I cant believe how smooth you got it sanded. Subbing and can't wait to see this completed

Here's a tip, look for a mouse sander, extremely easy to use and very inexpensive as sanders go. I bought myself a cheap black and decker one, it cost about $29.99 canadian, and its the best thing i've bought for sanding yet, I used to use my dremel alot and found that this sander works for alot of the uses I was wearing my dremel down for.
And thanks for the kind words :)

The boots were actually one of the hardest parts of this costume to make. I used a pair of old Harley Davidson steel toe workboots I had and sealed them from were the laces are completely with hot glue, effectively sealing the bottom of the tongue of the boot 3/4 of the way up. This allowed me to still keep the top of the tongue loose which made it easier to pull the boots on. I then put a extremely thin layer of crafting foam (1/8" around the entire boot. I did this twice because I needed to build up the layers to effectivly hide the seams of the foam). I then added the front part of the boots where the steel toe is, using eva foam for a thicker effect. Last part was the back of the boots, where I used 1/4" craft foam so that I could carve the symbols into the foam without burning it through to the bottom of the boot.

IMG812.jpg

IMG813.jpg

IMG814.jpg

Now i tried something different that I havent heard anybody use on foam yet, I used a Krylon paint primer for the base paint and then I taped it off, where the sole and toe of the boot is, I used Gravel Gaurd spray to give it a tough durable look, which in fact, is quite durable. It's basically a thick rubbing coating.

IMG837.jpg

You can see the difference in black tones ones for flat and the gravel guard is darker.

IMG838.jpg

IMG839.jpg

IMG840.jpg

I then used acrylic paints to finishes it off. Using a methed of sponges, fine haired painted brushes and drybrushed 2 coats, 1 of gray and the next of silver to make it look like beaten and abused metal.

IMG848.jpg

IMG849.jpg

IMG850.jpg

IMG851.jpg

Next was the shin and knee guards, I origionally wanted to make one solid boot with these on it, but I couldnt figure a way for them to aticulate at the ankle so I ended up doing them seperatly.

IMG823.jpg

IMG822.jpg

IMG820.jpg

IMG824.jpg

IMG825.jpg

IMG830.jpg

IMG831.jpg

IMG832.jpg

IMG883.jpg

I used nap sac clasps to tighten them to my legs, so that there was no play and they would move with my body. This part ended up being abit troublesome because after I put the coverals on they were abit to tight. Good thing foams a forgiving type of material because all I had to do was heat up the glue and move the webbing (straps) further apart to allow for the extra material.

The belt was the easiest to make, and all I did was cut out the foam peices I wanted then layerd them and glued them together. I used webbing for rock climbing that I purchased at a store called Mountain Equipment Co-Op for the belt. Great place to find all kinds of clasps, webbing, rope, velcro, clips and sinches.

IMG815.jpg

IMG833.jpg

The gloves are just a pair of old mechanics gloves I washed and dyed black, added a foam peice ontop and carved the details in with my soldering pen. Primed and drybrushed both the foam and the glove to give it that worn look.

IMG818.jpg

IMG819.jpg

IMG826.jpg

IMG827.jpg

IMG828.jpg

IMG829.jpg

The coverals for the undersuit were originally navy blue but I dyed them black using a fabric dye you can pick up at most craft or art stores (Micheals).

IMG741.jpg

IMG742.jpg

IMG743.jpg

IMG744.jpg

IMG745.jpg

IMG746.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back