Destiny Ghost OBJ file

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just unfolded the 3D object for the fun of it since I could not find the pdo file version of it. You can find it here and message me if there are any problems I need to solve with the unfold. :)
You can find it here ( I may edit the dimensions later but it is something like 18cm x 18cm x 16cm ish): https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmunruii8478qx4/Destiny_ghost_Demogorgon-and-dodgerfan2226.pdo

--EDIT--

I retread all of the posts and realized that Zaff had already unfolded it. I glossed over his link and didn't realize it was there on one of his earlier posts but now there are 2 unfolds of the ghost with different sizes at least.

Hobbs; said:
Also I really appreciate all the advice from you guys! If I can make some decent casts I'd love to send you guys some, especially you elusch and demo for the model and unfold! I really appreciate it!

dodgerfan2226 said:
I just unfolded the 3D object for the fun of it since I could not find the pdo file version of it.

Not meaning to come off like I'm pitching a fit here, but does anyone other than Demogorgon remember that I unfolded this already? Two weeks ago? And that it's been sitting in the folder linked in my signature since then? I mean, Hobbs, you even thanked me right then and there for unfolding it, PhoenixArmory posted a progress pic soon after using my unfold, CarbonChief unfolded the same file again last week, and then Demogorgon (who posted the original model to begin with) offered up a 3D printable version.

I do apologize if I'm coming off rather snippy here (ok, let's be honest, I'm probably coming off as an angry jerk right now) but doesn't anyone ever read beyond the OP?

Not meaning to come off like I'm pitching a fit here, but does anyone other than Demogorgon remember that I unfolded this already? Two weeks ago? And that it's been sitting in the folder linked in my signature since then? I mean, Hobbs, you even thanked me right then and there for unfolding it, PhoenixArmory posted a progress pic soon after using my unfold, CarbonChief unfolded the same file again last week, and then Demogorgon (who posted the original model to begin with) offered up a 3D printable version.

I looked throughout this thread but I couldn't find the unfold you did so I just did one myself. Where did you put the unfolded one because I do not see any links to it.

--EDIT--

i just checked through again and found the link you provided. I just glossed over the here as not a link and thought nothing of it. Well now people have another unfold of a (I think) slightly different size. Sorry for the trouble and good job. :)

I feel partly responsible as I forgot to update the first post with the link. Now updated with links to Zaff''s unfold and 3d printable STL files. I chose to feature Zaff's version in the OP because 1) he was first, and 2) I feel it is the cleanest and easiest to put together. I need to upload some photos of my ghost soon, he's chilling on my desk right now.

As for the scale of the ghost, I spent a lot of time watching the ghost edition "unboxing" and messing with some different sized cubes. I think anywhere from around 100-135mm high is the proper size. I scaled mine to about 135mm and it's a bit large but my hand is just a hair over 8" from heel of palm to the tip of middle finger (I wear a size XXL glove) so it doesn't look overly large.

I feel partly responsible as I forgot to update the first post with the link. Now updated with links to Zaff''s unfold and 3d printable STL files. I chose to feature Zaff's version in the OP because 1) he was first, and 2) I feel it is the cleanest and easiest to put together. I need to upload some photos of my ghost soon, he's chilling on my desk right now.

As for the scale of the ghost, I spent a lot of time watching the ghost edition "unboxing" and messing with some different sized cubes. I think anywhere from around 100-135mm high is the proper size. I scaled mine to about 135mm and it's a bit large but my hand is just a hair over 8" from heel of palm to the tip of middle finger (I wear a size XXL glove) so it doesn't look overly large.
That's cool thanks for updating it.

I looked throughout this thread but I couldn't find the unfold you did so I just did one myself. Where did you put the unfolded one because I do not see any links to it.

--EDIT--

i just checked through again and found the link you provided. I just glossed over the here as not a link and thought nothing of it. Well now people have another unfold of a (I think) slightly different size. Sorry for the trouble and good job. :)

Thank you. I do have a tendency to use link coding rather than just pasting a URL, so it can be fairly easy to miss when skimming through. Links in text are underlined, but then regular text can also be underlined. So I put in a suggestion over at the "how can we make the 405th great" thread asking for colored text on links. That might make them easier to spot while skimming.

Demogorgon said:

I do have to note, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I remembered to turn the Edge IDs back on before uploading the unfolded model. I have abad habit of forgetting that final step.

Demogorgon said:

The size I went with was 124mm (a tad over 5") front to back, and 150mm (about 6") top to bottom and side to side. Heh, didn't try to make any comparisons with the Ghost Edition prop, I just kinda held up my hand in the "summon Ghost" position and roughed out a guess with a ruler. If I remember right the ghost was slightly smaller than the span of the "cradled" hand, and in that position the span from my thumb tip to pinky tip is about 6 3/4" (my hand is slightly smaller than yours from heel to tip by about half an inch). I'm not sure if people would want a standard size, or if they would want to scale according to their own hand much the same way some have scaled other weapons and props to fit their personal proportions rather than a standard "in-game life-sized" measurement.

I do have to note, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I remembered to turn the Edge IDs back on before uploading the unfolded model. I have abad habit of forgetting that final step.

I don't use edge IDs to pep so I didn't even notice that haha.

I've unfolded several files and I always turn off flaps and edge IDs during the unfolding process so the computer has less to render and I have less clutter on the screen to look at. I usually remember to turn the flaps back on because I have a system to how those are orientated as well, but I almost always forget to turn the Edge IDs back on at the end.

I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Make sure you use the STL files I uploaded for 3d printing ;). It's in the file archives. It has all the small details unsuitable for pep.

I dont think I will be able to use the detailed files because I am only allowed to print one piece per month and will have to add details by hand. Still moving right now but il update when i have some news

Ok so library wont do my file. They will only accept STL files and my conversion apparently got corrupted somehow. Anyway I can get the original high poly center model in STL?

Ok so library wont do my file. They will only accept STL files and my conversion apparently got corrupted somehow. Anyway I can get the original high poly center model in STL?

I uploaded the STL files to the archive, follow the link in the OP. The one titled Ghost_Full.STL is the assembled ghost as a single file. I have the parts separated slightly in hopes that when the support material is melted away, you will be left with all the separate parts; 2 shell halves, the front sphere lens, sphere shell, and back sphere cover. Let me know if you need anything else!

Been about 3 weeks and I'm finally beginning my own build. So far have the inner sphere (sans "eye") pepped. So, hardest part is (mostly) done. Thinking I may pep the eye/socket assembly separate, and do the outer shell as two separate halves (upper and lower), harden them, and then try to attach them. But still up in the air on that. Trying to figure out the best way to approach basically having one "sealed" pep model nestled inside a second "sealed" pep model. With the scale kept at 150x150x124 the inner sphere is just a slight bit smaller than a tennis ball I'd say, which I think fits fairly well with the in-game model.

Zaff

I haven't started the hardening process yet but I left my core out of the shell. Then I'll harden each separately and cut the shell along the bottom of the vertical wall connecting the two halves. I'll be slushing rondo on the inside to thicken it up quite a bit so when I cut it there will a good thickness to reapply the two halves together.

I'm editing the high def file to make it easy to assemble and disassemble. It's kind of difficult to explain without pictures but I'll try haha. On the core, I'll be adding these sort of hooks to the door and a recessed "rail" to the core. This way you can sort of place the door's hooks in the opening and twist so the the hooks go along into the "rail". This will snugly fit the two pieces together and allow you to remove the door whenever you need to replace a battery or whatever. The same system will go on the two shell halves. They go together at a 25 deg angle and twist into place. There will be a little lip with recessed area so that the hooks "lock" into place once twisted so that it won't randomly spin and come apart.

I'm thinking this system would make things very easy for assembly and dissasembly. I'll try to get pictures up when I get home from school so that you can better understand what I'm trying to do haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking maybe what I can do when this one gets to the hardening stage is keep the top and bottom of the outer shell as separate pieces, and harden/reinforce it at that point and build up some tabs that I can drive some small screws through to hold the whole thing together. Question then becomes how best to mount the inner orb so that it's "floating." Probably go with a combination of retaining pins and washers (or build up a bondo "cradle") and have it rest on that. If I can get the logistics figured out, the plan is to be able to unscrew the eye and have a battery housing attached. I've noticed in addition to the eye itself there are lights on the outer shell, too (subtle, but there). Being the LD model I'll have to build up those areas by hand.

Edit: Having double checked, it's really only the "Ghost Edition" that has the bulked up bits on the left and right. Not sure if any other in-game shells besides the Ghost Edition exclusive will have that.

Sweet build guys! I just finished pepping Zaff's Ghost model, and it looks so frickin' awesome! I left the two halves apart though and just finished fiberglass resining the outside of both halves, as well as the eye itself. I will rondo the inside of the halves tomorrow before I try put it together, and I will drill a small hole somewhere in the eye to pour in some rondo to strengthen them. I think for the eye to move around still yet, I'm going to just put a thin layer of resin on the inside part and since that part won't even be seen anyways, I can just leave it like that so it'll be a snug smooth fit with the detailed eye. Will keep you guys posted on it. Thanks again for the awesome build though :thumbsup

Just finished rondoing inside of both halves after resin coating everything. Bondoing outside of inner sphere.
IMG_2552_zps48dce14e.jpg
IMG_2554_zps7e60f0ea.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2552_zps48dce14e.jpg
    IMG_2552_zps48dce14e.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2554_zps7e60f0ea.jpg
    IMG_2554_zps7e60f0ea.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 164
After pepping the model, I've gone back and edited the unfold, and scaled it down from 6 inches to 5. I had spent some time on youtube looking over clips that showed the Ghost floating over the player's hand and compared it with the pepped model, and it was indeed too big. So it's gone from 150mm down to 125, and between the downscale and the revised unfold, it's gone from 5 pages down to 3. If anyone's interested in the smaller edit, you can find it here or in the link in my signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
my 3D printed version the painting isnt the best was my first painting.... but its ok
View attachment 3394
View attachment 3395
View attachment 3396

Wow it turned out amazing! Did everything fit together properly?

Just a tip when finishing a 3d printed part. I like to use a thin layer of spot putty over the entire part and do a light sanding until the plastic shows again. This fills in the little valleys and completely smooths the part. The spot putty is very easy to sand. I suggest wet sanding with 400-600 grit.

Also a tip for those doing the pepakura version, don't fold the spherical parts at all. It'll make the final product pretty smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back