Destiny Ghost OBJ file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. It certainly helped that the Ghost is so simple in its design. The only tough call was whether to break the spheres down into small pieces, or to try to combine into as few pieces as possible, which is my typical approach. It has its pros and cons. On the positive end, fewer pieces means fewer chances of slight alignment errors that can throw off the rest of the build. On the negative side, it often leaves little to no flap to work with in several areas, and with fewer pieces, there's less "wiggle room" if you need to fudge a joint a bit to get things to line up. I've often wondered what people think of my unfolding style compared to others, and whether or not I should set up an unfold request thread (although I don't seem to find as much time for unfolding as I use to).

Thanks. It certainly helped that the Ghost is so simple in its design. The only tough call was whether to break the spheres down into small pieces, or to try to combine into as few pieces as possible, which is my typical approach. It has its pros and cons. On the positive end, fewer pieces means fewer chances of slight alignment errors that can throw off the rest of the build. On the negative side, it often leaves little to no flap to work with in several areas, and with fewer pieces, there's less "wiggle room" if you need to fudge a joint a bit to get things to line up. I've often wondered what people think of my unfolding style compared to others, and whether or not I should set up an unfold request thread (although I don't seem to find as much time for unfolding as I use to).

I think you did a great job unfolding. I'm assembling mine right now haha. I went over and watched the "unboxing" video of the ghost edition to compare the size of the official Ghost to PhoenixArmoury's Ghost. I think at 150mm it's a little too big and my 100mm is a bit too small so I'm assembling it roughly in the middle at 130mm. I'll post my ghost as soon as I finish it :)

Thanks for the file, mate! Once I get ink for my printer I'll begin assembling, and I'll be sure to take photos!

I think you did a great job unfolding. I'm assembling mine right now haha. I went over and watched the "unboxing" video of the ghost edition to compare the size of the official Ghost to PhoenixArmoury's Ghost. I think at 150mm it's a little too big and my 100mm is a bit too small so I'm assembling it roughly in the middle at 130mm. I'll post my ghost as soon as I finish it :)

Yeah, he's a little bit big. but any smaller and creating the sphere center would be impossible, even for my tiny hands.

Damn looks good. I got mine all cut up and and started but got a promotion at work and havent had time to finish it :/

Whats your plan now Phoenix?

Damn looks good. I got mine all cut up and and started but got a promotion at work and havent had time to finish it :/

Whats your plan now Phoenix?

I'm building my Spartan-II right now, but I'm doing a whole 'She was chosen to be a Guardian' theme with her. So the ghost will be added into the suit if I can harden him nicely, if not. I'll rebuild them as foam.

I'm building my Spartan-II right now, but I'm doing a whole 'She was chosen to be a Guardian' theme with her. So the ghost will be added into the suit if I can harden him nicely, if not. I'll rebuild them as foam.

Would be rather interesting to see some Halo-Destiny hybrid builds. The TItan probably offers the most opportunity for swaps, since it's a more fully-armored class than Hunter or Warlock, but there's still plenty to work with in each class. And then comes the possible varieties based on whether it's a Guardian with some Mjolnir flavor or a Spartan with a touch of Destiny.

Would be rather interesting to see some Halo-Destiny hybrid builds. The TItan probably offers the most opportunity for swaps, since it's a more fully-armored class than Hunter or Warlock, but there's still plenty to work with in each class. And then comes the possible varieties based on whether it's a Guardian with some Mjolnir flavor or a Spartan with a touch of Destiny.

She's gonna be a Spartan with a touch of Destiny. I've already got the fur I'm gonna use around the collar. The design I want to make for the mark (It will be UNSC flavoured, not Destiny however) , and the two Destiny Weapons I want to make.

Either it's gonna be a make or break type of deal, but we'll see how it goes

She's gonna be a Spartan with a touch of Destiny. I've already got the fur I'm gonna use around the collar. The design I want to make for the mark (It will be UNSC flavoured, not Destiny however) , and the two Destiny Weapons I want to make.

Either it's gonna be a make or break type of deal, but we'll see how it goes

Sounds interesting so far. Can't wait to see it happen.

So I feel bad I haven't posted much but I'm in the middle of another move and things have been crazy. I don't feel like it's appropriate quite yet to start my own build thread so il post here.

I started pepping the ghost and am about halfway done but there is no way to work on it right now until I move so for now it's shelf and I'm hoping it doesn't simply get destroyed.

Instead, I started at looking at 3d printing. I found someone who would do it for $75 but I'm a bit skeptical on the quality of pla. Any comments on this?

On the other hand I also found out my local library will print any object for a max price of $3. Which sounds great except you "have to be a member in good standing for the last 90 days." I use to be a frequent member but haven't used my card in years. They since have upgraded their system and my card has been removed from the database. I'm hoping I know someone who still has a good card who can submit the request for me.

So my choices are $75 for a rough copy?

Or try and find someone with access to library's printer.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't do $75, that sounds a little excessive. I'm not sure what 'good standing' means, but if you have friends who can do that for you it sounds amazing! I wish my library did that...

So I feel bad I haven't posted much but I'm in the middle of another move and things have been crazy. I don't feel like it's appropriate quite yet to start my own build thread so il post here.

I started pepping the ghost and am about halfway done but there is no way to work on it right now until I move so for now it's shelf and I'm hoping it doesn't simply get destroyed.

Instead, I started at looking at 3d printing. I found someone who would do it for $75 but I'm a bit skeptical on the quality of pla. Any comments on this?

On the other hand I also found out my local library will print any object for a max price of $3. Which sounds great except you "have to be a member in good standing for the last 90 days." I use to be a frequent member but haven't used my card in years. They since have upgraded their system and my card has been removed from the database. I'm hoping I know someone who still has a good card who can submit the request for me.

So my choices are $75 for a rough copy?

Or try and find someone with access to library's printer.

Thoughts?

Yeah $75 is way overboard, even including standard time/power requirements that's really excessive.
Though it might not be a FDM printer, perhaps something a bit more industrial, might explain the cost.

Check around for hackerspace's near you, most have printers and the members are usually pretty cool with printing stuff on their gear so long as you pay for the material or time.

Hobbs said:

Have you tried just bringing in your card and saying you've been meaning to update but haven't had the time before this? They might accept that and still consider you "in good standing" as while you haven't been an "active" member, it's not like you checked a book out and haven't returned it the whole time (I assume). Being in "good standing," particularly at libraries and other such non-profits, usually just means "don't be a trouble maker." And really, how much trouble could you have been for them if you haven't even been in there for years?

I've found that $5/hr print time is reasonable (for my efforts). It looks like a resolution of 0.3mm and infill of 50% will take about 8 hours total (about $40 total. The parameters can be changed to get less print time, scale, infill, resolution, materials, etc...). The reasonable thing to do, is someone print it out, make a mold and cast it. Make enough casts and selling them at a lower cost to supplement the cost of manufacturing, would be the way to go.

Does your library have a "3D printer" or is that just printing out on paper. $3 sounds like on paper. And if it IS a 3d printer, is it $3 because they scaled it down to being tiny?

It's a 3D printer. Just have to keep the object within a 5x5x5" cube.

So they weren't going to let me use it but I got lucky and my girlfriend found her card! so I'm gonna see if I can get this thing made!

Thanks for the heads up on the 3d printing price. I really had no idea what range I was looking at. The guy just had a makerbot so idk why so pricey.

Hopefully I can't get a good one printed up. I'd like to clean it up and make a mold and casts myself. I have a couple ideas for different paint jobs on mine.

Also I really appreciate all the advice from you guys! If I can make some decent casts I'd love to send you guys some, especially you elusch and demo for the model and unfold! I really appreciate it!

I gotta get it done first though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back