Dragon*con '09 Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
p0rtalman has already called the Hyatt to find out some information on the rooms and it seems like you wont knwo what size room your gonna get until you check-in? does that sound odd to you 08' D*Con goers?

I'll be bookin a room within the next 2 weeks in the Hyatt, I'll be requesting a room that can room up to 6 people in it. Hopefully, I'll get the pick-of-the-litter as far as rooms go.

BlacRoseImmortal said:
p0rtalman has already called the Hyatt to find out some information on the rooms and it seems like you wont knwo what size room your gonna get until you check-in? does that sound odd to you 08' D*Con goers?

I'll be bookin a room within the next 2 weeks in the Hyatt, I'll be requesting a room that can room up to 6 people in it. Hopefully, I'll get the pick-of-the-litter as far as rooms go.
No it doesn't sound odd. In fact, that's normal for any hotel you go to. You never find out what room you'll get till you get there. The only way to possibly get rooms next to each other is if one person books all the rooms and even then you're still at the mercy of the hotel's discretion on where you will be.

Also, you can get rooms together if a hotel does a group rate thing. These hotels hosting Dragon*Con don't do that unless you schedule a meeting though. I'm assuming that the Dragon*Con staff schedules the entire event like a meeting, which is why we get discounts on the rooms when you say you are attending for D*Con.

We'll have to work out some sort of sign-in sheet at the Convention, either in one of the rooms or at the table. You would come down and sign-in what room you're staying in and find out any other stuff you'll need to know about that we possibly couldn't tell you before we leave for the Con.

The aim is to make sure we setup a good structure of communication at the Con, and get as much scheduling as can be done before we go, but there will be things we'll need to address after we actually get there. It's going to be inevitable so we might as well plan for it to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
23Magnum said:
No it doesn't sound odd. In fact, that's normal for any hotel you go to. You never find out what room you'll get till you get there. The only way to possibly get rooms next to each other is if one person books all the rooms and even then you're still at the mercy of the hotel's discretion on where you will be.

Also, you can get rooms together if a hotel does a group rate thing. These hotels hosting Dragon*Con don't do that unless you schedule a meeting though. I'm assuming that the Dragon*Con staff schedules the entire event like a meeting, which is why we get discounts on the rooms when you say you are attending for D*Con.

We'll have to work out some sort of sign-in sheet at the Convention, either in one of the rooms or at the table. You would come down and sign-in what room you're staying in and find out any other stuff you'll need to know about that we possibly couldn't tell you before we leave for the Con.

The aim is to make sure we setup a good structure of communication at the Con, and get as much scheduling as can be done before we go, but there will be things we'll need to address after we actually get there. It's going to be inevitable so we might as well plan for it to happen.

He is right the hotel just gives the con 2 or 3 blocks of rooms for that con or show.

Aye Aye Captain :]

Having rooms spread all over the place isnt necessarily a bad thing. I was just curious about the room sizes (i guess I didnt make that clear in my last post, my bad). If I request a room for 6 people but end up with a room that has one queen sized bed and a small tv...well.....thats not what I asked for. Thats what I think Rowan was talkin abuot when he told me that the Hyatt wont let you know what room size you'll end up with until you check in.... I might have totally misinterpreted Rowan's message though...... lol

Hmm...well if they say they can't promise your requested room size, that should be wrong unless they don't have a room availible at that size. All the rooms I saw in the Hyatt only had two beds though.

Edit:
There was something that crossed my mind the other day. It was a topic that sort of came up at the Convention.

Age. Unfortunately, we can't do anything about ages of some of the people that want to go, so this needs to be said. Anyone under the age of 18 will need to make travel and hotel arrangements with their parents or gaurdians. The rest of us cannot be responisble for keeping track of those under the age of 18.

Same goes for those that will not be 21 by the time of the Convention. Those of age cannot be responisble for keeping track of you after hours.

23Magnum said:
Hmm...well if they say they can't promise your requested room size, that should be wrong unless they don't have a room availible at that size. All the rooms I saw in the Hyatt only had two beds though.

The only rooms they'll probably have available are king or double beds. Any other individuals sharing a room will be sleeping in air mattresses or the comfy carpet padded concrete. I'd suggest only telling the operator or front desk when reserving that you'll only be having 2 people in your room including yourself otherwise they jack your rate up as well. They'll charge you something like an additional $20.00 per person per night I believe, which kinda defeats the point of sharing the room in the first place, but that's just my opinion.

Jaxjags2100 said:
The only rooms they'll probably have available are king or double beds. Any other individuals sharing a room will be sleeping in air mattresses or the comfy carpet padded concrete. I'd suggest only telling the operator or front desk when reserving that you'll only be having 2 people in your room including yourself otherwise they jack your rate up as well. They'll charge you something like an additional $20.00 per person per night I believe, which kinda defeats the point of sharing the room in the first place, but that's just my opinion.
I guess they might be used to people housing more than 2 then?

23Magnum said:
I guess they might be used to people housing more than 2 then?

Oh yeah they know it's going on. They just for their insurance and paperwork purposes have to take a count as to meet fire codes and such. Basically, if you've got more than you're supposed to in your room and the building catches on fire, well it's your job to get down safe lol.

I'm still going to assume you need to ask for separate beds, correct? Otherwise, you could say two people and they give you a one bed room.

23Magnum said:
I'm still going to assume you need to ask for separate beds, correct? Otherwise, you could say two people and they give you a one bed room.

You can request a double bed, but there's no guarantees you'll get it.

Jaxjags2100 said:
You can request a double bed, but there's no guarantees you'll get it.

There is if you book the Holiday Inn, but you miss all the fun stuff in the commute. :cautious:

Don't wanna hear it Jax, LOL

23Magnum said:

Edit:
There was something that crossed my mind the other day. It was a topic that sort of came up at the Convention.

Age. Unfortunately, we can't do anything about ages of some of the people that want to go, so this needs to be said. Anyone under the age of 18 will need to make travel and hotel arrangements with their parents or gaurdians. The rest of us cannot be responisble for keeping track of those under the age of 18.

Same goes for those that will not be 21 by the time of the Convention. Those of age cannot be responisble for keeping track of you after hours.
Of course. My dad should be taking me, I was discussing it with him yesterday. :) Though, as for keeping track of me i think I'm good. Cell phones are great things (I did have service in all the hotels...somehow :p) and I'll be 17 so I can look after myself, though I'm sure we'll all want to stay in groups (of 405thers or otherwise) anyway. Its no fun by yourself.

Also, which hotel is the one where the exhibiters/dealers were in? And which hotel do you guys recommend?

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Aye Aye Captain :]

Having rooms spread all over the place isnt necessarily a bad thing. I was just curious about the room sizes (i guess I didnt make that clear in my last post, my bad). If I request a room for 6 people but end up with a room that has one queen sized bed and a small tv...well.....thats not what I asked for. Thats what I think Rowan was talkin abuot when he told me that the Hyatt wont let you know what room size you'll end up with until you check in.... I might have totally misinterpreted Rowan's message though...... lol
Nope, im pretty sure thats what i was saying.

I have stayed at the Hyatt three times now, and every time I asked for Double beds they were able to get me that for sure. I had problems with the Marriott not being able to tell me if I would have just one King or a Double.

Just make sure to do it over the phone, and sometimes you have to get bounced to different people to get it done.
Annoying but worth it in the end.

Also I don't remember if it was the Hyatt or not, but one of the hotels is really good about getting the ajacent(sp?) rooms if you need them.

The Hyatt is usually just a bit higher then the other hotels, but I had less problems from them vs the Marriott. Never stayed at any other Hotels other then the Days Inn *Shiver* DON"T stay at the Days Inn.

For the people that have never been before, if you can afford it, you want to check-in on Thursday. Makes it ALOT easier to get in and get up to your room before the majority of the crowd gets there.

I will get with Tom G. to see when they might find out about what channels they will be using. Most of that is desided that weekend or shortly before the Con. And like usual something goes wrong and things get changed around. Alot of my family and friends work on Staff still, so it will be no problem for me to get the info at the Con if I don't get it before hand. Then I can just find your table to relay the message if that happens.

Not sure what the JCB is you were doing security for, but it sounds like it was not all that enjoyable.

P.S. Awasome group. I was always wondering how you guys pulled off all those nicely done outfits. :)

Its good to see that we've got some more people with lots of D*con experience around the forums now, its going to be VERY helpful for next year. You guys (and gals) have attracted a LOT of new members from your D*con shenanigans. :)

JCB was an actors and actress manger and company i was hired for i worked for 6 actors only not for the con. and i do not think we need to worry about the Dragon Con official radios since the ones i have i have the permits for and i have never had a problem with them at a con. So do not worry about the radios or channels/ freqs that the staff use.

With the JCB thing it was not enjoy able. it paid for he trip but i got screwed on some stuff so oh well.

Dreads said:
JCB was an actors and actress manger and company i was hired for i worked for 6 actors only not for the con. and i do not think we need to worry about the Dragon Con official radios since the ones i have i have the permits for and i have never had a problem with them at a con. So do not worry about the radios or channels/ freqs that the staff use.

With the JCB thing it was not enjoy able. it paid for he trip but i got screwed on some stuff so oh well.

Yeah I'm sorry Dreads. I probably saw you at some point over there. My fiance and I waited in line for a few Stargate autographs on Sunday morning. Specifically Jewel, Morena, David and Torri, who were all great. I still can't figure out why they'd hire her as their manager. The actors/actresses were all really nice. Especially Jewel, David and Torri. Torri was telling us how she stayed up until 6 a.m. that morning just watching people walk around in the Marriott lol. Jewel congratulated us on our upcoming wedding and signed it as such on our Firefly DVD set. David sat there and talked with me for about 10 minutes about Atlantis being cancelled (BOOOOOO) and how it's a tremendous loss for them as actors and an even bigger loss for us as fans. Apparently no one knew it was coming according to him. MGM and Sci-Fi thinks it's easier and cheaper to do DVD movies every year or so and just release them that way instead of paying for a full season. Anyways.....yeah JCB can be a pain lol....

Jaxjags2100 said:
Yeah I'm sorry Dreads. I probably saw you at some point over there. My fiance and I waited in line for a few Stargate autographs on Sunday morning. Specifically Jewel, Morena, David and Torri, who were all great. I still can't figure out why they'd hire her as their manager. The actors/actresses were all really nice. Especially Jewel, David and Torri. Torri was telling us how she stayed up until 6 a.m. that morning just watching people walk around in the Marriott lol. Jewel congratulated us on our upcoming wedding and signed it as such on our Firefly DVD set. David sat there and talked with me for about 10 minutes about Atlantis being cancelled (BOOOOOO) and how it's a tremendous loss for them as actors and an even bigger loss for us as fans. Apparently no one knew it was coming according to him. MGM and Sci-Fi thinks it's easier and cheaper to do DVD movies every year or so and just release them that way instead of paying for a full season. Anyways.....yeah JCB can be a pain lol....

I had sent Dreads a message asking if that was Julie he was working for. This confirms it... Yeah I worked with her every year on Walk of Fame my first 5 years I was doing staff. She can be a real handful.
They hire her because well, She is good at what she does. She is not nice but she takes care of the people that hire her.
Noone else in the Walk of Fame staff wanted to deal with her after a really bad disagreement one year so she started bringing her own line control and security people.

You will get that alot, most of the Stars are super cool. It is the Handlers that are usually the jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back