Dragon Con 2009 Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
parade is 1 mile or maybe 1.5 miles can not remember, um it moves kinda slow ussally and its hot out like 90 or better remember it is Atlanta or "hotlanta" so be prepared, i am installing a camel packing my armor is i can drink water while we march.

I guess I'm the one who's going to have to ask this... :rolleyes

What if one of us has to go to the restroom?

Can we leave, take care of business, then catch up back into the march? I know it's best to go to the restroom before the march, but I'd like to know just in case. You never know what will happen ya know?

Also, is there going to be a specific place for the 405th members to meet in the march (I'm sure there is).

These may sound like silly questions, but I'd like to be prepared, and not like a chicken running around with its head cut off if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

the whole parade last at most an hour maybe an hour and a half to get every group through so bathroom problems should not happen. but please go before cause until the end of the route by the hotels there is no place to go and also if u did get out of the parade u can not get back in so sorry there.

also when i register at dragon i will pick up our parade passes for the group and get our meeting place i wil post it here on the site and contact every one with that info. on where to meet. probably in a hotel lobby and walk to out start location form there.

also if we have a few people in marine armor to help guide some of us in our armor up and down stairs will help. also if anyone wants to walk with us taking photos as we march let me know so i can get u registered as well, as of now i have to up our numbers for the parade so we are all set.

very good questions by the way.

Dreads said:
parade is 1 mile or maybe 1.5 miles can not remember

A mile in armor! Not a chance... unless I purchase some foam legs count me & alligator13 out...my Mark VI would be destroyed by the end of the parade.

Cheers,

Kensai

Last edited by a moderator:
what yr armor made of last year i did it in my pep and fiber glass armor and it was okay, and i am not a lil guy either i am sure that a mile is the most it is i am just not sure on the exact distance though, but it is not bad at all, I did it in pep and dogwizard and Shaun Bradley did it in plastic along with 3 other people it was not bad at all and u have so much fun doing it

kensai111 said:
A mile in armor! Not a chance... unless I purchase some foam legs count me & alligator13 out...my Mark VI would be destroyed by the end of the parade.

Cheers,

Kensai

If you intend to wear it around the convention, you'd be walking and standing around in it about 5 times longer than the parade will last. Something to take into consideration.

Dreads, I found a room for this year so I will be going after all, but I won't have a costume. However, I will be arriving on Thursday. So if you need any additional help that can be done then for the parade, let me know.

23Magnum said:
If you intend to wear it around the convention, you'd be walking and standing around in it about 5 times longer than the parade will last. Something to take into consideration.

Dreads, I found a room for this year so I will be going after all, but I won't have a costume. However, I will be arriving on Thursday. So if you need any additional help that can be done then for the parade, let me know.

Done my fair share of conventions, this baby's old though, gotta take her slow and easy. It's made of all the best proppers originals so it's a walking piece of our history. I know how to make it wearable and resist any kind of damage while staying inside for several hours at a time, just any kind of running or extended period of movement wears these suits out. Something for everyone who's considering doing this to think about :)

Cheers,

Kensai

I just wanted to add my thoughts here quick, throw in a few suggestions.

I think you should have some means of contacting everyone during the con (and at the end of August)other than the 405th site. Not all of us travel with laptops, and if we experience bandwidth issues in August (like we did at the end of July) you might have a bunch of people panicked and wondering when and where to meet.

I'd suggest getting everyone's cell#'s and setting up a phone contact list. Maybe everyone should send their # to Dreads as he's sorta ringleading this (if you agree). Dreads can compile the #'s of everyone who's walking that day and distribute a contact sheet to the participants (do not post your # here for all the world to see.)

Has there been any discussion of formation? I know that was a big priority to Rob W last year and nobody else had any objections to him organizing the walk. We may not have him there to whip us into formation us this time.. I'm just unaware whether he's coming or not. Does anyone know?

Finding each other at the gathering area immediately prior to the parade is crucial. There's nothing quite like running 4 or 5 blocks in broiling heat to get to the gathering area, then shuffling around in your armor looking for your group, while packed shoulder to shoulder with a thousand other people in costume... maybe we could find a collapsible flag post to extend high above the crowd to help everyone find the group.

Just some ideas to help thinks go a little smoother.

I'll be there with bells on, count me in as usual. ;)

EDIT: And per the above conversation, the whole parade goes quickly, you'll be at the end before you know it wishing it wasn't over yet. It's not as excruciating as you might think.. I mean some people do the walk in stilts... how can our armor be worse than that!

thanks Sean

you idea about the cell phone list is good idea. so please everyone going to be in the parade please send me a PM with yr name, number, email and costume in parade. I will make a contact list and send it out the Monday before dcon for everyone. Also for finding a place to meet up i am working on it now, so tentatively we will all meet for the parade in the HYATT Lobby by the big Martini looking art thing. trust me u see it you will know. also it was asked last year about orange tipping the weapons, and the answer is no since there are solid or semi solid plastic. Also if this changes i will come prepared with orange tape to put on them all so no worries. As for the flag if we have one i will work on getting us a poll for it. as for formation. We will do it 4 people per line with the order 1 line Spartans 1 mine ODST 1 line Marines and then repeat or something like that it may change i know what costume people will be wearing in the parade.

Any questions let me know and pm me your info

Yes i know better than to double post but please his is just a reminder to everyone o pm me yr name number email and costume so i can get the call sheet for dragon con done so everyone will know where to meet for the parade.

Mods feel free to edit or move this if need be

thanks

Dreads

I have a general question/observation on the parade "formation" idea. I know that last year was a bit disorganized (and light on participants) and while there was no rigid formation in place, it was still a lot of fun. While I understand the desire to appear as professional as possible (PLEASE - no cheesy "chorus line" antics this year ) I have to say it was nice to have the flexibility to break ranks and go greet people along the parade route. There were a LOT of kids that really enjoyed having a Spartan come over and say "hi" and shake their hand or give them a high-five. It would be a shame to see that flexibility disappear. This should be fun for the crowd as well as for us. Just something to think about...

Dreads - PM sent and thanks for jumping in to organize this!

I like the idea that Dog Wizard mentioned about flexibility... adds more fun to see the smile of kids when you approach them.

PM Sent Dreads... Thanks!

Contact info PM has been sent. I hope to be in a Marine, and with 6 years trooping with the 501st I know how to and will be able to assist anyone with stairs, vision, or mobility problems, as well as picking up any pieces that might fall off. I also intend to have some duct tape in one of my Marine's pouches in case of emergencies.

DogWizard said:
(PLEASE - no cheesy "chorus line" antics this year )

There were a LOT of kids that really enjoyed having a Spartan come over and say "hi" and shake their hand or give them a high-five. It would be a shame to see that flexibility disappear.

Quoted for truth...

I completely agree, there were a number of times last year that I nearly lost my cool when I stopped to pose with some kids and one of the other marchers came running up behind me to make some inappropriate gesture or started goofing on me when we're trying to make a good impression to the folks of D*con.. Everyone participating should read up on the 'Rules of Engagement'by Doc Bytes in the 405th discussion area. I think it's a pretty reasonable summary of how we should handle ourselves.

Well.. that being said everyone should keep in mind that people tend to have different ideas about acceptable behavior when representing the 405th.. some people like to ham it up, some people like to play the strong silent type. Whatever your take is, just don't impose on anyone else's fun.

Has anyone checked with Adam to see if the 405th banner will be available for this? That might be a nice touch.

i will ask Adam about the banner tonight or tomorrow and for formation i figure 4 across is good but please feel free to interact wit the crowd but please lets good and represent the 405th the best we can. okay

more to come as we get closer

I would love to march (Im in marching band lol) But Dcon is out of the question this year... :( You guys gotta get video from this!

Do we know anything about parade rules regarding uncostumed individuals to march with groups for documentation(filming and picture taking) purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back