First Build: ODST - Helmet Concentration

Status
Not open for further replies.
My blind eyes have missed your earlier post! D: Sorry!

I already feel like I should name my dremel, hahaha. I might not get a mouse sander since I'm not sure how many pieces of armor I'm going to be making after these two ODST suits. I've got no room to store them anywhere in my tiny apartment. Three people in a two bedroom apartment is too cluttered for even clothes lol. At least this way I can get a work out for my arms! :p

I'll take a look at longshot's stuff. :) Thanks so much!

Aye again. Im not sure the wirebrush will help you out. I havnt tried myself but from previous experiences shouldnt it tear the pads apart? Best of luck though. And cereals suit and longshots are the two id recommend for learning from. They both have the best work ethics ive seen

Yeah, that's why I mentioned not being sure how well it would work to brush the paper drums that come with rotaries. It may tear it apart, but if you go carefully it could add a little tiny bit of life to the drum. I should note though, that even gummed up, those things will work pretty darn well, I usually use mine until the drum paper starts to fray on them.

My blind eyes have missed your earlier post! D: Sorry!

I already feel like I should name my dremel, hahaha. I might not get a mouse sander since I'm not sure how many pieces of armor I'm going to be making after these two ODST suits. I've got no room to store them anywhere in my tiny apartment. Three people in a two bedroom apartment is too cluttered for even clothes lol. At least this way I can get a work out for my arms! :p

I'll take a look at longshot's stuff. :) Thanks so much!

About the mouse, it doesn't have to be a powered mouse sander (though those are amazing for planing and smoothing armor in general), a rubber hand mouse is also good and important to get to make sure there are no "hot spots" created by the varying pressure the shape of your hand makes when you use JUST sandpaper.

About the mouse, it doesn't have to be a powered mouse sander (though those are amazing for planing and smoothing armor in general), a rubber hand mouse is also good and important to get to make sure there are no "hot spots" created by the varying pressure the shape of your hand makes when you use JUST sandpaper.
I'm using the plastic box container that my old iPod nano came in as a sanding block. :) I figured cut every little cost I can so I didn't buy the rubber sanding thingy I saw at Walmart. I tried using my hand by itself and it got too warm and my fingers went all funny. :p

looking pretty good so far, i have been planning my own ODST build for the last year. i need to get a job before i start anything though.
Thanks! You could start on pepping your armor if you got some cardstock. The pep step takes a while since you gotta get sizes right and what not. :)

I bought a pack of Dremel 420 cut-off wheels. :D I had to make the hole in the middle larger for it to fit the 402 mandrel though. ):

Haha good show, I used my baby toolbox until I bought a powered mouse last month:

katsusander.jpg

Improvisation is how great discoveries (like rondo) are made.

Sorry I didn't check back on this thread sooner. Deciding what tool to buy can be tricky. As you said, if you aren't sure you'll get much use out of it after your suit is done it would make more financial sense to get a cheaper model. But, if you change your mind having that extra power is good. For me, I looked at like a gun or a condom: Better to have it and NOT need it than to need it and NOT have it. I think you'll be fine. At least this way you can add to it if needed.

The model I purchase was in the 4000 series, and it came with a case and accessories like the detailers grip and drilling guide. I use the grip a lot. It also accepts the larger cutting blades that you can't use on smaller dremels.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_116767-353-...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

For sanding, I used a Dremel multi-max and I gotta say having that over hand sanding everything was a blessing. I guess it depends on what your time is worth to you. For me, I was under a deadline to get my suit built, but you may not have that pressure ;)

If you are looking for cheaper tools for one time projects, I would suggest checking out harbor freight. They have a palm sander that is pretty cheap but it gets the job done. I got one on sale for like $10 in my town with a coupon so if it breaks after I use it I won't be upset haha.

As for storing your armor, I too am struggling with that... I just updated my thread with how I store my current suit, but now I want to build a couple more . At this rate, my garage is gonna look like Tony Stark's hall of armors :D

More updates!

IMG_0977.png

Last night I tried out Hugh's gauntlet file and I picked a whooole bouquet of oopsie daisies. I made the height 29 cm cause I thought the elbow part needed to stick out a lot, but it's so freakin' big. I could probably fit as shin guards if my foot could go through the opening. I had to make certain pieces split on two pages, which did not work out very well as I pepped. I'm gonna try the original size a try next time. This pep was harder than the helmets I did even though it was like 20 parts.

IMG_0973.png

The so called heavy duty cutting wheel broke when I was almost done cutting the first visor out. ): My little Dremel buddy couldn't handle cutting through the second visor even with a full charge. Luckily I had my trusty exacto knife that amazed me by cutting through rondo, resin, and fiberglass. It wasn't even a fresh blade. :D

IMG_0976.png

I'm not gonna use these for vacuum forming since I don't want to make a vac form thingy. Cool to use as a size reference though.

IMG_0975-1.jpg

Here are the helmets with bondo applied. It's the second coat for the dome area. I still have to bondo the ear and cheek parts.

IMG_0972-1.jpg

Here they are currently with a really rough sand. I've got a lot to sand still and my right arm is not looking forward to that. I feel like my right arm will end up bigger than my left arm when this is done. D:

Great update. Glad to see some progress has been made. With the helmets, theyre stating to look great. The elbow piece looks good to me but i have yet to build a odst suit so unfortunately i cant really help out. What i could suggest is maybe make the two pieces up and compare them. And then go with whatever one makes you happy.

And with the cutting wheel, i dont know how you cut, as those wheels will break at anystage, but ive alwys found working lightly with them on a high speed is always the best option. Seems to prolong their life. Then again i went through five in one visor cut out/ detail job on a soon to be scrapped helmet. Keep up the work.

Keanu/ runcornstuntman

Great update. Glad to see some progress has been made. With the helmets, theyre stating to look great. The elbow piece looks good to me but i have yet to build a odst suit so unfortunately i cant really help out. What i could suggest is maybe make the two pieces up and compare them. And then go with whatever one makes you happy.

And with the cutting wheel, i dont know how you cut, as those wheels will break at anystage, but ive alwys found working lightly with them on a high speed is always the best option. Seems to prolong their life. Then again i went through five in one visor cut out/ detail job on a soon to be scrapped helmet. Keep up the work.

Keanu/ runcornstuntman
Thanks! I probably wont get around to re-pepping that piece for a bit. I've been looking at pics that people have done of that gauntlet, and the hole where your hand goes through seems pretty fitted with gloves on.

I tried cutting lightly, but my Dremel couldn't take it after the first visor. ): I guess the high speed isn't high speed enough on mine. I'm afraid to do detailing work, like the grooves, with the dremel. I feel like I'm gonna lose control a little and ruin the lines.

For detailing if its real fine what may be a good idea would be using painters tape to mark out your details (if its possible) then use ur dremel at medium speed and go slow and steady. Good luck

To add to runcornstuntman's sage advice, the old addage "measure twice cut once"

Also, don't freak out too much about the lines. This isn't like normal crafts... if you mess it up you can just slap some bondo on it and redo it. One of the beauties of toxic chemicals I guess?

For the visors, while the dremel may struggle, if you don't force it, and let it go at its own pace, it will eventually go through it, it just might take time if the model doesn't have the electrical load capacity the more expensive ones have. You can also look into getting different cutting wheels for the job. The default ones are okay, but there are some spiffy bladed ones that cut through like going through cheese:
51G2AZ3JK2L__SL500_AA280_.jpg

dremel-blade.jpg

They're obviously more dangerous, but the standard cutting wheel is no walk in the park for your fingers either.

Haha Aster Tea,
I had no clue you were working on TWO suits! Nice :)... getting 2 suits done before Oct. 31st is a HUGE task...
Anyways, my two cents about the dremel you got is--- it will work, but you really would enjoy the "FLEX SHAFT"..look into that if you want something more like a pencil "easier to hold"..
---Also I read about your cutting spinning wheel broke.... Mine broke before and flew about 90 MPH but luckily not in my direction! --Beware they brake and fly!-Wear glasses or some kind of safety glasses!!!
--- also if your sanding...please wear a mask and don't eat dust!

You need to get into the excto-knife folding also..... thats the best way to make clean amazing cuts, its not hard just slightly go over it.. dont add much pressure when the blade is fresh...

I made my chest piece out of foam-- Foam is much lighter, flexable, and quicker to work with I believe........
BAD SIDE EFFECTS TO FOAM BUILDS--- They are more flexable, so the paint comes off after you wear it for hours/days... so you have to touch it up after every use. Also foam is hot glued together.... You see lines were you glued pieces together... kinda bad

Rondo/bondo/resin way is going to take alot longer... but you can work with it alot better, just add more bondo--- if you build a foam suit...its hard to work with it...adding foam isn't the same as adding bondo... =\

* Your helmets have turned out really good! Some minor warping is okay "First build"---you just need to add bondo to warp it back =P
The dremel you got is good- Just get a FLEX SHAFT for more easier hold... I love mine =D

Your doing really well so far :) Keep it up! -NOGOOD

I've had a few cutting wheels break on me as well. And when I say break ON me, I mean it. I had one break and cut my face a bit. Luckily I was wearing safety glasses, or I'm sure it would have hit my eye. The reinforced cutting wheels like katsu shows are nice. I have the type of cutting wheel in the first pic in katsu's post, and have never had one of those break during use (they don't hold up too well to being stepped on, however).

Great work so far! Keep it up.

Thanks for all that info! I'm happy that it's summer break so I can work on the suits in long sittings. Luckily the wheel broke after I stopped the dremel. I touched it and it broke just like that, hahaha. I tried out using my exacto knife for scoring fold on the gauntlet that ended up too big. I loooove it so much better than using pens. It's faster and I don't have to use a lot of pressure. I got my goggles and dust masks so no worries. :) I should start wearing gloves though since sanding always ruins my nail polish. I'll keep an eye out for a flex shaft around Walmart or Sears.

Thanks! :D

I'll consider myself lucky that my wheel broke when it wasn't spinning. :$ That's some scary stuff to be flying in your face!

I feel so pumped from all the comments to get these done! :D

Spent my Sunday afternoon sanding.

IMG_0978.png

There are still many pits, craters, and canyons on the dome. ): The chin part and back rim are smooth with very little pits.

Close up of biggest problem spots:
IMG_0979.png

IMG_0980.png

Are these fixable with spot putty or would I have to do another layer of bondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back