First Build. ODST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a computer, the easiest thing to do would be to get Pepakura Designer. I just looked and the ODST files are all in the archive.

Then use one of the scaling tutorials like this: HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627

Starting with a lw definition file,would probably be easiest.

"I'm just a witness"

The best advice I can give is to read the thread I posted. It explains everything that you need to know way better than I could. Long story short, you scale the "major" side and the rest will re-calculate. So, for instance, f you were doing the shin, the major side would be the height, once that s set the rest of the image will re-calculate to keep it proportioned.

"I'm just a witness"

Measure the length of your shin, then input that for height. You can use the measure distance tool to check the straight line distance between two points if you want to be more sure.

The best advice I can give is to read the thread I posted. It explains everything that you need to know way better than I could. Long story short, you scale the "major" side and the rest will re-calculate. So, for instance, f you were doing the shin, the major side would be the height, once that s set the rest of the image will re-calculate to keep it proportioned.

"I'm just a witness"
what is a " lw definition file" ?
What file should i use for the shins, thats the only thing im having trouble with, everything else i might be able to do with no problem

what is a " lw definition file" ?
What file should i use for the shins, thats the only thing im having trouble with, everything else i might be able to do with no problem

I'm not completely sure what you're asking on "lw definition file" but I'm thinking you mean low definition. It's basically a file without all of the detail. Most commonly you'll see low def, mid def, and high def, sometimes ultra high def.

As for a file to use, it's up to you what you WANT to use, but for my ODST I'm using these by Hugh.

Okay so when i download the files, when i scale them, what should i do for the shins? height or depth? See i have think calves.

- - - Updated - - -

Measure the length of your shin, then input that for height. You can use the measure distance tool to check the straight line distance between two points if you want to be more sure.
where is the distance tool?

I get to it by right-clicking inside the 2D view and it'll be in that list.

For shins definitely measure height. You can always have the front and backs split (or add material around if working with foam) if the pieces won't fit around your calves, but a pieces that's way too tall is going to mess with range of motion and you may have to trim a lot out to make the pieces work comfortably.

Martin, read the Halo Goddess thread I linked before, seriously, it is going to answer 90% of the questions you have about pepakura and scaling.

"I'm just a witness"

She sums it all up pretty much in the first page.

"I'm just a witness"

Martin, read the Halo Goddess thread I linked before, seriously, it is going to answer 90% of the questions you have about pepakura and scaling.

"I'm just a witness"
I understand that, its just im dont know how to make it work for this, i am trying to make the legs the same as this guy did in the video, but the file doesn't have anything like the shapes in his video,

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh, I see. Give me a sec, I'll watch video (again actually, but it has been a while...)

"I'm just a witness"

Okay, so the difference is that he has free-handed the pieces and simplified them. The problem with this, as said above, it that there is no scaling reference, so you'd have to go by trial and error. If you are going to try and duplicate what he is doing I would measure the length of the longest shin piece as it relates to your leg and then try to determine the size of the other pieces.

If you are going to use the pep files like ZP180 posted, it is a completely different set. It may not look the same when the pep file is unfolded, but that is because DFT free-handed it to make it simplified. For the foam files you would use the method Halo Goddess sets out. I am starting my first foam build myself and can say that there is a lot to learn. For me the pep file,foam build is the way to go.

Whichever way you decide, we are here for you!

"I'm just a witness"

The "templates" DFT uses can be found on his Facebook page (look in the photo section way at the bottom) but have no scaling as they say to measure them to your own size. If you need them and don't have Facebook, I can save them for,you and post them here.

For example:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455763177.393716.jpg

I did a screen shot from the video and here is what it shows

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455763232.247990.jpg

My best advice if you are going this method is to measure from the top of your ankle to the bottom of your knee. DFT has his size as 430mm. Use your size and a ruler and scale everything to you based either on the measurements he has (so if your shin length is 400mm then 400/430 is 93% of his size). This is not exact but should work unless you have a very different body type to his. I used this method when I made my stormtrooper armour.

The more exact method is to figure out where each piece is going based on the video and photos and measure that area on yourself.

"I'm just a witness"

thank you guys for the words and help, but im no longer going to try to make this, it was a waste of my time and money to try this. Its just to hard for me to try this with my jacked up hands, and i have zero skill on craft making. But thank you guys for trying to help me.

Thats alright! just try again when when you have more time, skill and money.
Don't feel bad we all go through a stage like this!

Reactions: Jme
Glad you tried, man. 99% percent of people don't even take the first step into cosplay, and you certainly stepped in.

In the end, that's what counts.

Reactions: Jme
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back