First mjolnir powered armour Mk VI build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any opinions on rondo over fibreglass?

Bondo itself is simply talcum powder added to fibreglass (polyester) resin - no, I'm not making that up. If you add resin to the filler product ('Bondo' is simply a brand name) you're essentially watering down the filler and diluting the filler compound to resin ratio. Resin and filler products are brittle on their own and don't offer any real structural strength to a finished piece - we combine them with fibreglass, since the fibreglass weave holds the resin together and prevents the product for shattering from impacts. Using rondo to fully harden your products doesn't really offer any true benefits, since, as above: it's brittle, and to get the same structural benefits as layered fibreglass you'd need to use a lot of it, which ends up making your pieces heavier than they need to be.

So, if you're asking what to use to strengthen your pieces, I'd honestly suggest the tried-and-true method of fibreglass and resin. Rondo is best used as a more viscous form of bondo - it's there for smoothing and surface finish work, not for strengthening.

Looks great wish I could pep like you guys I just don't have the patience... My foam armor hasn't been worn much and is already starting to show creases in areas that flex a bit.....obviously wouldn't have this problem if I could pep.

Bondo itself is simply talcum powder added to fibreglass (polyester) resin - no, I'm not making that up. If you add resin to the filler product ('Bondo' is simply a brand name) you're essentially watering down the filler and diluting the filler compound to resin ratio. Resin and filler products are brittle on their own and don't offer any real structural strength to a finished piece - we combine them with fibreglass, since the fibreglass weave holds the resin together and prevents the product for shattering from impacts. Using rondo to fully harden your products doesn't really offer any true benefits, since, as above: it's brittle, and to get the same structural benefits as layered fibreglass you'd need to use a lot of it, which ends up making your pieces heavier than they need to be.

So, if you're asking what to use to strengthen your pieces, I'd honestly suggest the tried-and-true method of fibreglass and resin. Rondo is best used as a more viscous form of bondo - it's there for smoothing and surface finish work, not for strengthening.

Yeah thats what i thought would be the case, oh well no easy way out i suppose, I need to stock up on fibreglass.

Looks great wish I could pep like you guys I just don't have the patience... My foam armor hasn't been worn much and is already starting to show creases in areas that flex a bit.....obviously wouldn't have this problem if I could pep.

Its not too much harder, especially with all the help on this website, but it is a bit more time consuming

Quick question, would it be better to change my static buckles to buckles with straps so they were less ridged and be allowed to move around?

This would mean i would have to undo some work I've already done, however i don't think that would be hard.

Or even half and half, so one half of the buckle is static and the other half is on a strap so can move? Or just leave it as is?

Whoops, sorry don't know what happened there, here they are.

IMG_7041.jpgIMG_7046.jpgIMG_7048.jpgIMG_7042.jpgIMG_7044.jpgIMG_7047.jpg

A quick test fit of all the bits apart from the boots and shoulders, sorry about the lack of detail in the black chest against the under suit. The shins will be higher up but they kept falling down.

IMG_7061.jpgIMG_7062.jpgIMG_7063.jpg

The shoulders are now fully hardened and i have done most of the first thigh, getting through the resin already so i need to buy more depleting my bank account more, oh well its for a good cause, just need to find a job. The weathers getting better so i can get a good bit done each day.

So my dremel broke today, does anyone have any idea how to fix it, i changed the socket it was plugged into and that didn't work, i changed the fuse in the plug but that didn't work.

It just slowed to a stop then didn't work again. I was thinking that the motor might have burnt out but i wasn't doing anything strenuous with it.

depending on what you have been using it on but from what your describing it sounds to me like one of the bearings has given up and in the long run most likely taken the motor out. Is there anything you can do for it. Not really deposit it nearest trash can unless you got a warranty on it and roam out to the local store and grab a new one. There are a lot of off brand dremels out that are as good and significantly cheaper. And anymore there is simply no fixing them.

Depending where you are.....Harbor Freight has a very inexpensive Dremel-like tool. Home-depot and Loews also carry but you will pay full price for those brands

I suppose I'll just have to sand and cut by hand for now. Also does anyone know how to post large scale photos instead of just small square ones. Is it the type of photo or something else?

As for an actual update i have finished hardening the shoulders and have almost finished the first thigh. I'll post photos tomorrow.

I suppose I'll just have to sand and cut by hand for now. Also does anyone know how to post large scale photos instead of just small square ones. Is it the type of photo or something else?

As for an actual update i have finished hardening the shoulders and have almost finished the first thigh. I'll post photos tomorrow.

I'd personally advise against posting large-scale photographs - you have to consider the fact that some people don't have high-quality Internet, or are using their cellphones to browse, which means that high-quality images are going to be that much more difficult to load. Personally, I'd try to keep your photographs and images to less than 1000x1000px - this will ensure that your images are still high-quality without making it difficult for users to load up.

As for tools and equipment: I realise I'm not in the UK any more, but I'd still advise perhaps either Wickes or B&Q for tools, if you have one near by. Otherwise, Wilko's may have some cheap tools that you'll be able to use.

Oh, and final note: please don't double-post. If it's been less than 24 hours since your previous post I'd advise editing rather than re-posting.

Ah yeah i didn't think of that, guess ill leave them as is.

Pouring rondo into the shield didn't really work, i would of had to fill up the whole shield, so i just did a 3 layers on the back and a layer on the front. I still need to smooth out a couple bits with bondo and do the same on the first thigh. Theres a couple small holes i also need to fill in with epoxy putty.
IMG_7069.jpgIMG_7067.jpgIMG_7066.jpg

First couple bits of bondo, Its pointed out some dips that need some more filling in and then another layer over it.
IMG_7070.jpgIMG_7072.jpgIMG_7071.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7046.jpg
    IMG_7046.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 208
I made a spray paint box so i could paint in the shed when its raining. This is the first layer of primer on the shoulders
IMG_7073.jpg
IMG_7074.jpgIMG_7075.jpg

That's some serious dedication. The armor looks awesome too!

Thanks very much.

A bunch of photos, sorry they're all muddled up. But anyway, theres some showing both fibreglassed thighs, one of them has been bondod but i need to do that to the second one. I got a fine brush and some paints to do detail on the parts. Today i did the helmet and the forearms. I think the detail really improves them and the realism of them. Also as my suit is in memory of Monty Oum, i have inscribed keep moving forward, which was a saying that he followed, on the left forearm.

I started fibreglassing the shins today as well so will have those done this weekend.

IMG_7080.jpgIMG_7078.jpgIMG_7079.jpgIMG_7081.jpgIMG_7083.jpgIMG_7084.jpgIMG_7085.jpgIMG_7087.jpgIMG_7077.jpgIMG_7086.jpgIMG_7088.jpgIMG_7090.jpgIMG_7082.jpgIMG_7089.jpg

I've started a new job so i don't have as much time to work on the suit but it gives me the money to buy what I need, so it'll be this weekend when i next get a chance to get some good work done on it.

I finished fibreglassing most of the shins, just the edges to do. i also finished spraying primer on the shoulders. Next to finish hardening the shins and moving onto the feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back