First Project (Iron Man)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew you were close Stealth. :p :cool

Sorry for the small hijack bopx, I can remove my pics if you'd like.

RoxyRoo said:
Whoa. Automotive filler? ... Do want. is there a tutorial on how to use that stuff? I looks a hell of a lot better than Bondo.

It works the same as bondo, they are essentially the same thing. Just the bondo is mad with far more resin base so it is way harder to form and shape. It's a cheap product for the gen public. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
STEALTH said:
yeah finhead I'm more like IRON-BOY than iron man

I'm 5'6 so I recommend using the 1.40 scale for the entire upper body parts since you're a girl and probably alot less muscular than me so this way your suit will look really sleek like the CGI version and probably look better overall than mine

scale at 1.40

Neck, torso (chest and back and flaps), shoulder bells, biceps, elbows, and both forearm parts(gauntlet/insert) and hand plate.

Do that for now and see how it goes. I'll help you out a long the way if needed.

just get through those

Crap you guys are ridiculously helpful, I really appreciate it :D

I'll definitely try those out. I'm nearly done with the helmet pep, it's all puzzle work from here...

Finhead said:
I knew you were close Stealth. :p :cool

Sorry for the small hijack bopx, I can remove my pics if you'd like.

It works the same as bondo, they are essentially the same thing. Just the bondo is mad with far more resin base so it is way harder to form and shape. It's a cheap product for the gen public. ;)
Haha, I don't mind either way- I just don't want to accidentally take credit for your godlyness xD

Wooo, finally finished :D

I just sorta set the two pieces next to eachother, so they look a bit flimsy.. I'm not quite sure how they are supposed to retain shape, especially when trying to fiberglass it, not to mention trying to put it on to see if it fits. I guess I just have to aggresively tape the pieces together? lol

[attachment=16454:pep fin1.JPG]

[attachment=16455:pep fin2.JPG]

Even though I can't properly put it on, I'm pretty sure It's too small xP *sigh* I guess this calls for round 2 :(

I'm not supposed to be able to fit it over my head with it taped together right? I cant tell how everyone else has their helmet open just from pics :\

Also, I wonder if there is anything better than hot glue..

No you wont be able to get you head in with it all together, you need to have the back bottom section removable or some make the chin removable.

For holding it together I used binder clips, but my helmet was the first version and had a lip all the way around all the parts (mine was in 4 sections) Hot glue is supposed to work well, but I use superglue gel works better for me. :)

IMG_1714.jpg

Looking at it, I think the ODST WOULD be cheaper. Less armor = less cost. But that pepping is CLEAN!Tacky glue will work a bit better, it sticks well, but doesn't have the stringy problems hot glue does. Also allows time for adjustments. good luck witht he rest!

Looks good so far. When I did Dungbeetle's first helmet, I just hot glued the pieces together at a few small spots and that's what I plan on doing with this one when I start hardening it.

Finhead is correct about not being able to get your head in there with it all together. If you take out that support that goes across the neck right now, you can probably see if your head will squeeze in there. It's one of the reasons I made the file the way that I did (with it not one piece for the entire thing).

Good luck!

Looking good so far Bopx. Nice job on the pep! The sizing is a whole other skill to figure out haha. I repeated the same pieces a few times as well. But Fin was right about the measuring for height/length and having to go with that since it does adjust the other numbers to keep the file in proportion with itself.

Looking forward to seeing more of your updates.

Finhead said:
No you wont be able to get you head in with it all together, you need to have the back bottom section removable or some make the chin removable.

For holding it together I used binder clips, but my helmet was the first version and had a lip all the way around all the parts (mine was in 4 sections) Hot glue is supposed to work well, but I use superglue gel works better for me. :)

IMG_1714.jpg

Hm, so I guess I fiberglass it all together, cut it apart again, and then do the smoothing? I guess the two parts I have it at now would be best.

Boba Fett said:
Looking at it, I think the ODST WOULD be cheaper. Less armor = less cost. But that pepping is CLEAN!Tacky glue will work a bit better, it sticks well, but doesn't have the stringy problems hot glue does. Also allows time for adjustments. good luck witht he rest!

Really? Idk, I just think the less variety of materials needed, the cheaper. (also I would've ended up trying to do what rube did with the vacuum forming stuff, and probably end up failing miserably xD)

And thanks, but I'm pretty sure it's just the camera that makes it look cleaner haha. Yeah, time for adjustment would be brilliant, but I only need a couple of seconds (which, unless I want to brun myself, hot glue doesn't give me). I'm too impatient, I wish they have magic glue that solidifies exactly when I want it to!!

Samuray - Thanks! And yeah, I'm glad it's not in a zillion different pieces thanks for that :)

carlino - Thank you :) Did you manage to find a scale you liked? If so what was it? I don't want to have to build a third pep xP

bopx said:
Hm, so I guess I fiberglass it all together, cut it apart again, and then do the smoothing? I guess the two parts I have it at now would be best.

I wouldn't cut it apart until after smoothing. That way you make sure that you don't have your crown uneven from your faceplate. or chin.

Slight update- started working on a left arm instead of doing another head right away. I got stuck at this:

wat.png

how the hell do I cut/fold this exactly??

ps: sorry for the double posting earlier, I'll try to put replies all in one post next time xP

keith_hendrix said:
Nice work so far, keep it up. :)

thanks!

Ok, I finally finished the arm but I'm pretty sure it's way too big. I realized this about halfway through, so I sort of just bs'd the rest- I only really wanted to see how it would fit. (I didnt even use all the pieces haha:

[attachment=16567:FirstLArm5.JPG]

For some reason this was extremely complicated? idk, some parts were just not unwrapped/tabbed well...maybe it's just me. Taped it together, I'm not sure if my arms are too small, or I made it too big :\ (SIZED AT 1.35 BTW)

[attachment=16568:sizeFirstLArm1.jpg]

[attachment=16569:sizeFirstLArm2.jpg]

[attachment=16570:sizeFirstLArm3.jpg]

[attachment=16571:sizeFirstLArm4.jpg]

Woo 2am! time for homework!

Actually from looks at it your pretty close there, your just likely going to have to add some serious padding to fit once resined n cleaned up

for reference

29413_424653941130_582536130_5826284_7784118_n.jpg

(the black bands you see are my neoprene padding as I was merely test fitting)

it's looking good. keep at it

Fox w said:
Actually from looks at it your pretty close there, your just likely going to have to add some serious padding to fit once resined n cleaned up

for reference

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._424653941130_582536130_5826284_7784118_n.jpg

(the black bands you see are my neoprene padding as I was merely test fitting)

it's looking good. keep at it

Yeah, but I sitll have about more than an inch of room around my wrist xP As much as I don't want to, I still think I will have to make another to pep. What was yours sized to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back