Greeny building...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Just a quick status update. I haven't really had the time to take proper pictures as I was doing more of the same.. This is how far I've gotten so far:
Progress suit.jpg Up close codpiece.jpg
I'm pretty happy about the level of quality I got the shin too though I did mess up a little in the end using a putty filler for a few hard places but it is so inconsistent to the aqua resin it doesn't sand down nice and smooth.
With the codpiece I'm pretty happy considering what a state it was in after all the initial warping issues but I did notice I haven't got my sanding techniques down and just felt at some point I was wasting resin and just though I was trying to chase something beyond my current skill level seeing this is my first build.

Last but not least I just finished cutting out all the pieces for the chest piece, time to get back into glueing:)
Cut out 9 bags of chest piece.jpg

Hey Bastiaan.
Looking excellent, mate, really good work. Well done!

Do you know what colour(s) the finished armour is going to be, yet? Again, great work, mate.

Do you know what colour(s) the finished armour is going to be, yet? Again, great work, mate.
Nope, my daughter keeps changing her mind. We'll finish the suit in silver first to give it a metalic looking undercoat and then we'll make up our mind:)

Ok guys, question for those who've build Brandon McClains Reach armor. I'm working on the chest piece, so far most parts I've been building have all come out slightly roomy for my daughter which I'm happy with. I'm building the chest piece at the same scale (175%) and as far as I can see from the measurements in pepakura it would again come out slightly roomy...

That is....

Except for the neck, its too small.

My guess is that as I'm building this for an 8yr old the proportional size of her neck is at the root of my issue. I'll probably continue the build and may just cut out a larger hole. Looks like this is also the first piece that I'm going to cut open after fiberglassing it and making it two halfs that need to be attached together :)

Any ideas if this is too be expected?

Yes definitely make it so it can be buckled or clamp in half kids have proportionally bigger heads. So if it will fit over the head it's probably to big. You can strategically cut it down in areas to custom fit the neck and chest better.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

RYNO666, so far I think it looks ok size wise but not being able to fit it properly it will be hard to tell until I've atleast got the fiberglass one and everything cut in half:)

Slow progress the last two weeks, busy rounding off things at work last week and while I'm off this week I've got family visiting from overseas. Today was the first time I was able to spend a few hours on it again...
Chest piece halfway pep 1.jpg Chest piece halfway pep 2.jpg Chest piece halfway pep 3.jpg

Looks great! Those large surfaces require slot of backing. You can also make cardstock pieces to fit backside and fold angle pieces to brace edges and corners. [emoji4]

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I've got a bit of bracing on the inside, just finished coating it in aquacote just now. Seems to have hold up pretty well. Hope to have time tomorow to do some of the internal fiberglassing, thats the scary bit but am going to take it very slow:)

Still not sure if its sized right. It looks like it will be a tight fit but its at the same scale as the codpiece which is slightly large. Once fiberglassed I'll just it in half and we'll know...

I'm thinking about using magnets as fastners, not sure yet.. Any ideas/tips/etc here?

Just adding some pictures, about 1/3rd through fiberglassing, waiting for it to dry:)

Chest piece pep finished 1.jpg Chest piece reinforceing 1.jpg Chest piece reinforceing 2.jpg Chest piece started fiberglassing.jpg

Sloooowly making progress. Finished fiberglassing the inside, now working on thickening the edges for strength. This time using some modeling clay to create a border which is something I didn't do on the other pieces. Using some added blue color to make it easier to see what I'm doing :)
Chest piece adding walls 1.jpg Chest piece adding walls 2.jpg Chest piece adding walls 3.jpg Chest piece adding walls 4.jpg

Next step is cutting it in two so I can finally fit it (and find out it is slightly too small.... fingers crossed...)

It's been real slow going, I've hardly found any time to work on my project. Guess I won't make EBExpo in 3 weeks so setting my sights on RTX.

I did reach a milestone with the chest piece build, it's now cut in half, I glued magnets into the bottom parts, I haven't made a decision on the top parts but I want to use some proper fasteners there.
I'm thinking of sacrificing a cheap backpack and create a harness from it to fasten the back piece on so it'll be like putting on a backpack.

Anyway, the really good news, it fits!! Whoohoo!
Chest piece test fit 1.jpg Chest piece test fit 2.jpg

(I haven't worked on the outside at all yet so yes, there are still many issues to sort out)

Owh, no comments, alas, hope nobody minds me just following up my own progress like this. I read somewhere that double posting is frowned upon..

Still slow going but managed to put a few hours in during the last week. Also just came back from Oz-ComicCon in Sydney, great fun though I didn't see any of the 405 guys there. Alas. EBExpo in a week and I'm nowhere near ready so I'm setting my sites on RTX early next year.

First, off, decided after reading in one of the other sites about bathroom stops to make the codpiece a two piece. Cut it in half, then filed room for and glued in a hinge on one side. The other side has a single rare earth magnet rated for about 2.5kg. Currently just glued in but I plan to encase it in resin later on (waiting on a resupply).
Magnet glued on bracket.jpgCodpiece hinge.jpgCodpiece magnet.jpg

Time will tell if the glue is strong enough or not (it's a 2 component glue supposedly rated at 250kg).

For the chest piece I used weaker magnets I had lying around for the bottom which I regret but its holding on. For the top I'll be gluing in the same magnet I'm using for the codpiece but two at either side. Again after gluing them in place I plan to encase them in resin including two metal rods to use as keys.

For now I'm still only halfway through the sanding stages, I've only just got to trying to get any dents and uneven areas filled in and sanding it down. I hope to start filling in the crevices in and smoothing it out later in the week. I'm particularly happy with the front which had some real unevenness that needed to be sorted out. That is nicely flat now, I just have the indents to fix up.
Sanding front chestpiece 1.jpg Sanding front chestpiece 2.jpg Test fitting chestpiece 1.jpg Test fitting chestpiece 2.jpg

Hey Bastiaan.

I've been away from this site for a while and it's nice to come back and see how much progress you've made, haha.
The chest looks very good. I remember wondering how these pieces would turn out considering you used child friendly materials that hadn't really been tested by many people.
Turns out that they'll turn out just fine. The chest piece already looks better than a few attempts I've seen, and considering this is your first try at it, very well done indeed.

How're you finding it? And more importantly, are you enjoying it?

Oh, also, double posting is frowned upon when its within 24 hours without significant progress/information. Usually, the double posts that are frowned upon are those that could have easily been added to the most recent post by pressing 'edit'

How're you finding it? And more importantly, are you enjoying it?

Thanks for the kind words. :)

For the second part of that question, I am enjoying myself greatly though I greatly underestimated the amount of time I would be able to free up for it. Progress is very slow as a result though if I would add up the hours I think I'd be surprised I haven't spend as much time as it feels like. I'm lucky if I can put an hour or two in each week. I've also moved to the balkony for the sanding work, the wife got very tired with all the dust in the house (for good reason), and that has limited my time as well as it is not as warm out as I would like and I'm dependent on daylight.
My daughter at this point is more interesting in watching things develop than participating, I guess after sanding another piece for the umpfteenth time it gets kinda boring, but the smile on her face the first time she put the chest piece on was worth gold. She's really pushing me for redoing the helmet next:)
For me though, this is far more about learning new skills and doing something that is far removed from my day job and I'm in the lucky position that I can afford to waste time and a little bit of money on the learning experience.

The first part of that question is much harder to answer. I've wasted a lot of aqua resin on the first two parts and it feels like an overly expensive exercise right now. Also not having build a suit with epoxy or polyester before it is hard to compare whether I've made my life a lot harder or not. I do feel after getting the knack for reinforcing the pieces and using Aqua Cote for the initial coats things improved greatly which is why, despite some stupid mistakes, the chest piece worked out a lot better. Right now I'm still having a hard time making my life easy sanding everything. I'm getting better at not putting too much resin on wasting a lot of product sanding it back down just to find out I need to fill up more bits. But I'm pretty sure that is lack of skill as a beginner then anything to do with the product I'm using. I definitely have a lot more too learn in using the proper tools the proper way :)

Once I finish this suit I am going to try my hand at foam to make something for my son so I can give a good comparison between those two. I know that time wise it will be way quicker then what I'm doing right now but I'm especially interested in finding out if the extra time, cost and effort of doing pepakura and resin is worth it.

As for a very quick update, I won't detail things until I've received my resupply of Aqua resin and got the locks finished but the magnets on brackets are now glued in. For such tiny magnets I might have taken ones that are slightly too strong. I don't have to fear them coming loose too easily but I have managed to pull the magnet off of the bracket. Partly in not being patient enough with the glue and forgetting to rough up the contact areas but also simply that the magnets are too strong. I think I've gotten them to stick properly now but am hoping that once incased in resin they won't come loose from the brackets again (else I'm in for a challenge to fix them more strongly).

Then, I've actually glued them in off center. This should allow me to create a natural key that self centers the lock when the two pieces come together, or so I hope.
The other part of my plan will be a bit more challenging. I plan to use the cavity in the back part of the chest piece to store batteries and possibly a small cooling unit in but more importantly, I plan to turn it into a backpack. I'm thinking about buying a cheap backpack from a toystore or something, remove the pack itself so I'm left with the straps and the backing plate, and mount the back piece on that.
The back piece can thus be put on like a backpack and the front piece just clicks on.
Not sure if it'll work and if I can hide the straps well enough or incorporate them well enough into the design but I think it will be just that much easier and more comfortable for my daughter to wear.

Ok, it's been awhile since I last updated this. I've been overseas for a bit and before that we had OzComic Con and EBGames to keep me busy:)

Still made a bunch of progress. So first off, the locks at the top of the chest piece. I wish I had used the same magnets for the bottom, they are awesome.

So here is the basic process I followed. I got these little brackets, cut them down to size, and glued the magnets on with epoxy. Picture is a few posts above.
Then I glued in the brackets using the same glue. Note that they are off center:
Glued in brackets.jpg

Next I used tape and clay to create a chamber that I could fill with resin, filling one side first and waiting till it dried:
Fill with resin 1.jpg Fill with resin 2.jpg Dried result.jpg

Note how it sticks out to create a wedge which makes a nice key. I sanded it down to get a smoother result before taping it back up and filling the other side with resin:
Other side resin 1.jpg Other side resin 2.jpg

I topped up the resin a little to get the magnets fully encased in resin.

They fit together perfectly:
Matched up again.jpg

I'm now slowly working on completing the outside, filling it up and sanding it smooth, the front/top is starting to look nice now:
After more sanding.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back