Group Project - Halo 3 Standoff Recreation

The files were made by MoeSizzlac and I thought the scaling seemed right so our first print was 100%...but it ended up being child size,
Tiny Head.gif

Did another 30 minutes on the helmet, this time completely sanding the whole thing.

I go straight to 320 grit of good sandpaper (or 400 grit of cheap stuff). Spot putty is easy to sand, unlike bondo. It turns to powder.

20240103_165733.jpg

This process is great for filling the valleys of layer lines, but it is not going to fill in printing defects.

20240103_165742.jpg20240103_165755.jpg

For those I can apply a second layer of spot putty with a putty knife. But first...

The under side of the helmet was too rough for a couple layers so I whipped up an ounce of real bondo. Took about 5 minutes.

20240103_171245.jpg20240103_171259.jpg

Tomorrow I will sand this and go over the helmet with spot putty minimally, as intended.

20240103_212230.jpg

Last edited:
Did another 40 minutes hands on. This time half spent applying spot putty to blemishes, let dry 20 minutes, then lightly sanded off again with 320 grit paper.
20240104_195332.jpg20240104_195342.jpg20240104_195348.jpg

Still some blemishes left, but some are not bad. They will serve well to capture future black wash to make it look a little dirtier.

Next I'll coat in Grey primer, 3 coats. I can then spot putty again any blatant errors. Otherwise I'll sand again at 320 grit.

Last chance to donate to the Pacific Booth Expansion! This weekend we'll be finalizing the printed contributor's list that will be displayed on the piece itself. That includes time contributors so if you plan to help out physically in Bremerton, WA next month when we start building please let me know now!

We've met our goal to complete the project, but any money donations this weekend will still be greatly appreciated and will go towards increasing the quality of materials or level of details. Even $5 or $10 bucks will go along way. Thanks!

I might never ever see this in person, but to know that it exists... It's worth every penny.
Did you make a donation through Venmo? I received one Friday last week but they didn't say their forum name... initials DC.

So, I was hoping to acquire the plastic sheets we need through one of my customers, but my contact is retired and we've since lost the customer... Pricing out large Acrylic sheets is turning out to be quite expensive. I found a shop in Renton so I can at least save on shipping, but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd check if anyone else had a plastics guy.

We're looking at:
(3) 48" x 96" x 0.125" Clear Acrylic sheets
(1) 48" x 96" x 0.250" Clear Acrylic sheet

Can also take remnants, but one piece of each thickness needs to be 58" long so I'm stuck buying full sheets.

Also, thank you for the offer BaronArden , but the printing stuff stage has passed and you should be focusing on building your first suit!

I'll check with the Mandos when I meet up with them tomorrow, maybe they now someone.

UPDATE-
First things first, we had to scrap the idea of a build party in Bremerton. It was very kind of Sub to offer, but I don't think he has the room to facilitate the scale of what this project is and I need more constant access to get it all done so I will be doing the build at my parents house in Roy. I still want to have a day to bring people out and we're probably looking at 2/17. But I still need to get my hands on this project to understand what I'm doing before I'll feel comfortable letting other hands on it.

You all have put a lot of trust in me by financing this and I don't want to let you down. I also can't afford to screw up. Together we raised $1350 and now that I have started buying things and really penciled out where to buy the rest it is looking like a $1900 project... which is fine. I had allocated $600 of my funds towards it so I am still within my internal budget.

There were certain things I was just naïve to the cost of, having been spoiled and getting things for free on occasion. BUT THIS IS HAPPENING. WE ARE DOING IT!

I've updated the first post with the design drawings and I have updated the Google Doc plan with more products and a better timeline. I'll be sanding and filling 3D prints every weeknight and I will be trying to build a wall every weekend. Mark your calendars for 2/17 if you can make it to Roy, WA and whether I have something for you all to do or not we can just hangout at my parent's nice property and play with all of their power tools. We'd be able to host 10 members plus their partners/kids etc.

Stand Off Expansion Plan_1-1-page-001.jpg
Stand Off Expansion Plan_3-3-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_5-5-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_4-4-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_2-2-page-001.jpg
Stand Off Expansion Plan_6-6-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_9-9-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_8-8-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_7-7-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_10-10.jpg
Squares are 2"

Last edited:
Lol... really awkward placement of the upside down Floorplan right in the middle of all of the booth blueprints.

But WOOOO.... It's happening!

I almost forgot I never gave an update for the helmet process.

I did do the several coats of grey primer, then tiny bit more of spot putty to fill little spots.

Then I did Rustoleum Camo Green, but I forgot this paint does not react well to clear acrylic top cote. So the green turned out nice, but as soon as I clear coated it tiny spider webs formed in a few spots on the back. I'll end up sanding and switching to Krylon Camo Green (if I don't learn how to air brush by then).

Here is VerdantCos the first to adorn our booth cosplay and making a very fitting Ghost Marine.
20240112_142106.jpg

Lukavago kindly provided and placed the UNSC logo he made on his cricut cutter. H5 Battle Rifle printed by TitalWave.

ghost marine goes hard, kinda wanna do a crossover, maybe something of an ODST skull face would be more halo friendly XD

Also I could be wrong but I think there is clear coat spray paint that works over rustoleum

ghost marine goes hard, kinda wanna do a crossover, maybe something of an ODST skull face would be more halo friendly XD

Also I could be wrong but I think there is clear coat spray paint that works over rustoleum
Yeah, regular clear coat works over most Rustoleum. It's just the Camo line that I've had the same issues with in other Camo colors in the past.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to connect the tripod to the MG and I finally realized I can just have someone 3D model an adapter. :)

My friend knocked this out in 5 minutes. Real simple. Threaded acorn nut on one side to go into the tripod and a recessed hole on the other side for the Gun's mount to rest into.

1706918499871.png
1706918520495.png

Here's the simple drawing I gave him.
20240202_160223.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back