Group Project - Halo 3 Standoff Recreation

UPDATE:

What have I gotten myself into? These foam boards are massive! After a nice $700 trip to homedepot I have pretty much everything ready to make the booths. The only thing left to purchase is the digital graphics and we're just waiting on pipninja to finish up the last one.

20240204_134700.jpg

This weekend I spent 7 hours cleaning up a space at my parent's property that I could work on the booth.

And now today, I've spent 4 hours hacking up the pvc pieces and labeling them. The foam walls will have embedded 1-1/4" pvc and then chunks of 1" pvc that will fit inside them. This will be the main way of connecting the walls top to bottom. So after cutting I've been sanding the cuts flat and beveling the edges of the inner pieces.

20240204_133050.jpg

Another couple hours and I've got a good start on the wooden frames. Two walls will have these "shadow box" type things that have the screens in them. I've taken 2x6 boards, planed them on both sides to 1-3/8". Cut them on both sides with a table saw to 4-1/4" wide and have added the detail chamfer cut.

20240204_191620.jpg

Next I'll sand the face edges, add the dado grooves for the screens and then remove some of the inner material to reduce weight.

Last edited:
Your graphics turned out great pipninja !!! Really, I couldn't be happier. Now hopefully the printers get it right. Fingers crossed.

Just submitted the $160 order for 3 large backlit prints and 2 medium stickers.

I would like to invite any Regiment members to join me Saturday 2/17 at my parent's house in Roy WA 11am to 4pm to help work on this project. Please DM me for the address. If you are not a regiment member please DM me and we can discuss. Thank you!

Last edited:
Related to the above post... in addition to attempting my armor build, I'm also a journalist for my high school newspaper. I'm hoping to do a story on the 405th Pacific Regiment, and I got in contact with PerniciousDuke about meeting some members at the work party. If you're interested in that, feel free to PM me for questions. I've also attached my profile on our website below!

I would like to invite any Regiment members to join me Saturday 2/17 at my parent's house in Roy WA 11am to 4pm to help work on this project. Please DM me for the address. If you are not a regiment member please DM me and we can discuss. Thank you!
I'm not gonna be able to go :(

It seems like not many are able to join next weekend. How about Saturday February 24th? And if I open it up to non-members. How many would be interested in coming out?

Alright, well switch the meetup to Saturday February 24th.

This weekend I focused on the back lit boxes. It is no wonder these things are so expensive. Another 11 hours and the frames are done.

First up was dadoing the slots for the screens. Then cutting away excess wood to reduce weight. Followed by miter cutting the boards to length. Finally, assembling the frames with glue, brads and corner brackets.

20240210_122852.jpg20240210_150411.jpg20240210_164824.jpg20240211_101210.jpg20240211_101225.jpg20240211_113744.jpg
20240211_134215.jpg

So here's the deal, for those of you that have expressed interest in joining us for the build day 2/24

ForwardUntoDusk Lukavago BaronArden VerdantCos ArcSol ThreeEvening158 SubXzeroXhero

I have no idea what I'm going to have you do. It's not something I've done before and I've never even worked with insulation foam. I've just been taking it one thing at a time. And I can be a bit of a buzz kill worker because I like things to come out right. Most of the time I just need an extra pair of hands to help hold things while I cut which is usually my mom. But she is unavailable this Saturday so I've asked pipninja if he's willing to come out, but he's unconfirmed.

So right now that's all I know for sure is that I need one person to help me cut some stuff this Saturday. The build party is more for you guys. It's me wanting to offer you all a chance to get together and hangout. If we accomplish something that is great, but I'm really not expecting that. I'm sure I'll come up with something, but I just won't know until after this weekend. I just wanted you all aware there is no expectations if you join the build party on 2/24, just come and hangout.

Last edited:
I can come up this Saturday I believe. Let me check what's on the farming schedule, when I get off work today. However, as of now... I believe I'm 89% available for this Saturday.

I can come up this Saturday I believe. Let me check what's on the farming schedule, when I get off work today. However, as of now... I believe I'm 89% available for this Saturday.
I appreciate that Baron, but I would feel bad if you drove 6 hours round trip just to help me cut a few sheets of plastic. Let me keep checking with Pip. I'll keep you posted.

So here's the deal, for those of you that have expressed interest in joining us for the build day 2/24

ForwardUntoDusk Lukavago BaronArden VerdantCos ArcSol ThreeEvening158 SubXzeroXhero

I have no idea what I'm going to have you do. It's not something I've done before and I've never even worked with insulation foam. I've just been taking it one thing at a time. And I can be a bit of a buzz kill worker because I like things to come out right. Most of the time I just need an extra pair of hands to help hold things while I cut which is usually my mom. But she is unavailable this Saturday so I've asked pipninja if he's willing to come out, but he's unconfirmed.

So right now that's all I know for sure is that I need one person to help me cut some stuff this Saturday. The build party is more for you guys. It's me wanting to offer you all a chance to get together and hangout. If we accomplish something that is great, but I'm really not expecting that. I'm sure I'll come up with something, but I just won't know until after this weekend. I just wanted you all aware there is no expectations if you join the build party on 2/24, just come and hangout.
Oh I'll definitely lend a hand, it's always a blast hanging out with the bucket heads. :notworthy:

Another weekend in the workshop and this time I had the aid of pipninja who really helped a lot! We put in a full 8 hours.

So what did we do? The big task was cutting the acrylic sheets to fit the frames. 1/4" x 4' x 8' acrylic actually weighs a lot. But with our table saw and non-ferrous blade everything came out great.

The next thing was fixing an error in my frames. They were square, but the face was smaller than the back of the box. Hard to explain, but the frames were actually trapezoids! Setting them upright and they want to fall over. With some effort we were able to get all three frames to have a bottom flat. First we tried stationary disc sander, then we tried handheld belt sander before realizing we could use the table saw to get us most of the way there and finish with an orbital sander.

I was also able to cut the 1/4" plywood piece to hold the switch that @nick_yelsa117 modeled and @missxboof is printing.

20240217_180612.jpg20240217_180606.jpg
20240217_125515.jpg20240217_125509.jpg

Before we left we tried our hand at creating the caution bars on the front panel. I knew we could heat gun the acrylic and would benefit having a wooden mold to press it against. And Pip knew it would be even better to also have the reverse wood mold to press into it.

30 minutes and we built everything we needed and another 30 minutes and we had our two molded pieces of plastic. Today was a good day.

20240217_165315.jpg20240217_165320.jpg
20240217_165826.jpg20240217_170602.jpg
20240217_174324.jpg20240217_174329.jpg
20240217_180634.jpg

Last edited:
I lied. I will have something for you to do this Saturday.

I woke up yesterday and went right to work on planning out what we are going to do Saturday and I have a really good plan and I think we'll actually be able to accomplish a lot.

Basically, I broke down tasks by how many people can be working on it and what part of the shop it will need so that I can optimize our space and people. From there I am writing up step-by-steps for each task so that you can do most of it without needing my input or oversight. That also helps me list out the items you need so that I can pre set up each task.

If anyone else wants to attend please let me know soon so I can make sure I have enough food to feed you all. :) See you Saturday!

Last edited:
Just spent the last half hour reading this thread from start to finish. I mentioned in the midwest discord that id like to make one of thoes circle things we saw in Halo 4 and again in recent Infinite season cutscenes, and this really inspires me to try and build one now! I cannot wait to see this when its finished, ill definitely be trying to make it to a pacific con.
"I feel, Invigorated!"

UPDATE:

So it is 6am, the day after our booth build meet up and I have been awake for 3 hours because I can't stop thinking about all the stuff I can start working on now!

Our builders did a great job Saturday progressing us in several avenues of the build. There were 5 of us and we put in a full 8 hours.

First up, we had Lukavago working on the MG that he printed. The goal here was to cut up some steal rod and epoxy them like pegs to mate with magnets. It worked! Still needs some durability tests to see how well it holds up to movement and such. Will post more picks later today.
20240224_151728.jpg

We also had ArcSol and SubXzeroXhero working on setting the graphics. They managed to set all three images onto acrylic and they look really good. At the end of the day we quick set up the lights and frame to test.

20240224_180807.jpg20240224_180728.jpg
20240224_174105.jpg20240224_153252.jpg
20240224_153140.jpg

ForwardUntoDusk and myself worked primarily on the foam. The goal was to make v channels in the foam so I can embed the pvc pipe inside. Tricky task. We were able to use the table saw for one side of the v and a skillsaw with a fence to make the other V cut. I am happy to say it looks like it is going to work really well. My goal is to glue the boards together today.

Dusk also painted the frames when I was running around.

20240224_160738.jpg20240224_160734.jpg
20240224_153415.jpg20240224_151639.jpg
20240224_151635.jpg20240224_151611.jpg
20240225_073332.jpg

So exciting to be getting this far!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back