Grrr! We're freelancers! Red vs Blue WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys :) I'm really pleased with it. Between working on snake enclosures I've been finishing off a vac-forming buck for the visor, it's been a very busy day :/

This build is looking amazing! I've started working on my own Agent Carolina armor, but no way is it going to look as fantastic as yours is!

If you don't mind, I do have a couple of questions.
First question: For the armor permutations, do you print those out and attach them to the mark vi chest piece, or is there a special chest pep for using armor permutations?

Second Question: Also for the armor permutations, how do you scale them to fit with things like the regular chest and shoulder pieces so they fit snuggly?

Again, this build is looking amazing, and I wish you guys the best of luck!

Nicole pepped hers but I organised all the files for it. Basically to get the scale right on the permutation I found two comparable parts on that file and one the chest piece file (flyingsquirrels) and used the 'measure distance between points' tool to figure out the size. When I say comparable I mean two things that should be the same size on each file. Using the measurements of each I just bumped the scale of the permutation til I got it within a mm of the correctly scaled chest piece. There's probably a better way to do that though, I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of the pep program.

To attach it Nicole pepped the FSQ chest (minus a few details tbh lol) and then using sticky tape, glue, paper, hopes and dreams she stuck the permutaion over the top. There's no good way to describe it, I don't know how but we just made it stick.

When Kristian and I fibreglassed it I coated the outside twice and then trimmed out all of the stuff from the inside that had no resin on it because that stuff was clearly covered by the recon attachment. Once that excess was gone and we didn't have a pocket of air in there anymore we stranded it as normal. Hope that helps :)

I love the fact your plastic is yellow.

Lol yeah, I've been tinting it so I can see how even my coats are. I thought I grabbed black but it turned out to be dark green, at least it's patriotic :p green & gold.

The forming buck is done now and we're just waiting to see if the courier drops off our plastic tonight. It was meant to come this morning but they screwed up. I'm pretty nervous about how the vac form is going to turn out. I do have a backup plan though just in case. Hopefully I'll have good news to share tomorrow :)

Thanks guys :)

I've FINALLY got my petg although I'm concerned that I'm going to need some thinner stuff, I guess I'll have to see how I go. What IS apparent is that we're going to be looking for a new vacuum, I just don't think the one we have is going to get the job done so I wont be wasting any material to confirm that. Sorry about the non-update, I really do hope to have some visors happening soon (I am not a patient person), we're looking at vacuums straight away, everything else is good to go. In the meantime I've got a few casts laying around now so I'll start a thread in the classifieds section.

Sarah! Excellent job as always. Watching you do your processes, and seeing how far you have come, even till now... DANG. I can't wait to see what weapons you're going to make for your characters (aside the brute-shot) and this... I don't know what to say other than "GAAAAAahahaAHahasejeqjtrqwei14591-2057921ujiorwe9ufhishdf (banging ass on keyboard)"

This is just freaking amazing. When you get to your boots, take good pics! I'm going to try and leave the bottom solid, and maybe glue in "interchangeable" EVA foam, but I get a feeling it wont meet my needs.

...So I will keep building... and right now, I am stopping my drought. I am scoring more of my pep to keep going. Thank you for the inspiration!

Thanks guys :)

I've FINALLY got my petg although I'm concerned that I'm going to need some thinner stuff, I guess I'll have to see how I go. What IS apparent is that we're going to be looking for a new vacuum, I just don't think the one we have is going to get the job done so I wont be wasting any material to confirm that. Sorry about the non-update, I really do hope to have some visors happening soon (I am not a patient person), we're looking at vacuums straight away, everything else is good to go. In the meantime I've got a few casts laying around now so I'll start a thread in the classifieds section.

We'll still be here when you get that new vacuum so you can pull the PETG sheets the right way.
Just an idea. . . You could use a 5-10 HP shop vac for the initial pull and you could create a hard pull using a 10 gallon air tank to save costs. I've been looking into it myself. Just an idea, but there's lots of stuff you could google on it. Here's one thing that I found. Instrucables Vacuum Form. I don't know that it would have enough pull to do thicker PETG sheets, but the guy has other tutorials and shows how he uses an air tank to pull a hard final pull on stuff.
Keep up the awesome work and look forward to seeing something in the future.

Hey Guys! I'm back, not much of up an update, (consider it a pre-update) but just wanted to let you all know I'm not dead, I appreciate everyone who's cared enough to chase me up on this project, even though I never replied (and I am sorry :( )

Anyway, I have much to get in order but I wanted to check in and mostly say thanks for sticking with me, I expect I'll have a proper build update in the coming weeks :)

Also.... YAY, WE HAZ OUR FORUMS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Guys

Yey she is still with us! I was getting worried for a bit there. Good to see you and look forward to what's to come :)
Oh p.s. check out what I've been up to I think you will like.

I am loving this thread, I remember staying up late at night watching red vs blue years and years ago. I cannot wait to see them all together completed. keep it up your work is very clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back