H3 Master Chief Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my sander in yesterday (fortunatly!) and picked up a needle filing set. Got to work cleaning up the small corners and such, and got rid of a few bubbles lingering around the casting. Along with that, cleaned up the seam line so now it's not noticable anymore. There's still alot more clean up to do, and some mods I'm still debating on whether or not to do. I got a coat of primer on it as well to see exactly what I need to fix.

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

Gonna need quite a bit of Green to White technology lol

-TC

Did a bit of work the past two days. Mostly just going around the helmet, grinding out bubbles that formed and "straighting" the detail lines. I also added a small detail to both sides of the helmet. This is gonna be based off the H3 Trailer Chief afterall

I'm also going to do another mod I was debating for awhile. This has to do with the vents. It's not that I didn't like the vents already casted on, its just not accurate to the H3 Trailer Chief, to which I already filled one side with 2 part epoxy, which I'm gonna clean up and add the detail lines as needed.

Here's the version Im doing:
http://images.psxextreme.com/wallpapers/ps3/halo3_02.jpg

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

Gotta get more epoxy!

-TC

Ok then, finally, my first technical assembly since I got the kit rofl I sanded down the upper arm pieces today, got one set ready and cleaned up the way I like it, but just need to get the material to make the strap which will hold the bicep piece.

001-4.jpg

I used (in the wrong order unfortunatly) two part epoxy and then metal reinforced epoxy putty for added strength

002-4.jpg

Was actually quite a pain in the butt, but it's holding really well. I'm more than likely gonna put a bit more re-inforcement since I know that trooping can cause alot of wear and stress on parts. Hmm..as for the bicep strap, I'm thinking how I can go about making it adjustable, but I think that velcro (strong velcro) might be the answer. There is a backing that needs to go just behind the bicep piece as well for accuracy. It's hard to see against the suit, but it's there.

Other than this, I just applied some spot putty on areas of the helmet that needed filling.

-TC

Was a tough call to make on doing this cut, but I really had no other real choice if I want to have the electronics in this. Kinda glad, cause it worked out better than I thought, and have much better access then I anticipated. Going to start designing the trigger mechanism, as well as clean up the edges, as well as sharpen up the ammo counter screen.

001-5.jpg

002-5.jpg

Other than the installation of those pieces, the only thing is having to clean up the edges of the removable portion. I'm thinking of either using magnets (large silver ones like at Joanne's) or my roomate actually suggested using a piano hinge one one side with magnet on the other. I'll throw the options around.
I did try to cut the mag portion, but that area turned out to be significantly thicker then I thought. I lost sunlight and will get back at that tomorrow..

So that's it for now. I might need to get a new filler, because the epoxy putty I have been using dosn't like to stick to the outside surface of the rifle. IDK, it seems to hold well after it's cured though.

-TC

Excellent update! Keep up the good work.

I how are the mods for the Thigh doing? I have an issue with one of my thigh pieces... Its tollerable but eventually I'll need to deal with it... A slight warping that Bondo cannot fix.

Cheers!

I have actually been giving this some thought lately. I cannot have fiberglassing materials here in my barracks, but I've been thinking about using styrene strips to extend out and hold the piece. I'll be using some really strong epoxy to hold it all together of course. The only issue is that after doing that, I'll need to use a filler for the gap. The epoxy putty I have been using dosn't seem to adhere incredibly well, and will definatly not do good for the extentions

Alright! Made some headway so far to the next step, the trigger! I drew up a quick sketch for the mechanism I'm going to construct, and I think it will work pretty well. I managed to cut the trigger off without causing collateral damage and came out pretty clean considering the awkward cut angles. Still need to touch up the areas around it.

I also recieved a magazine casting from Ithica, to which I promptly cleaned up and is about ready. I'm debating if I want to "styalize" it in a particular way I saw in a more recent Halo reach video, in which they made the mag look more like real-world mags for M-4s and similar weapon systems. I did take another go at trying to cut the mag well out, but the more I sand, the thicker the plastic is... :/ I'll get it...

So here it is..

001-120.jpg

002-92.jpg

003-81.jpg

Picked up a spring to use from a pen, and I'm going to try and start construction tonight!

-TC

Alright! Got productive today, and went ahead building the trigger mechanism. I changed my design slightly after trying not to fall asleep during class! It appears it will work out fairly well, the hardest part after this is getting it installed correctly so it works smooth.
Yet again, another reason why I regreted buying this camera..no close up shots AT ALL, but the best I can do.

DSC00190.jpg

Basically, your looking at it like a cross section. There will be another wall covering the closest side (just like what's behind everything) there are slots i cut out, to which, I will be installing a "T" shaped piece of plastic, that will be attached to the upper portion of the physical trigger, just above the spring system. this "T" will prevent the trigger from moving out of place, and lock it into a designated area. It will also perform a secondary function of pushing against the actual electronic trigger switch. Also, hard to see in the pic, but I imbeded a spring w/ prong thingy from a pen on the backside, middle portion of the trigger. Should work good...I think!

-TC

Ok, another good day of work! I finished contruction of the trigger mechanism, and it's functioning perfectly. It's not the prettiest looking thing I've scratch built, but hey, I just need it to hold together and work as I need it to. For the sake of getting it to fit properly, I had to flip the physical trigger to help acomodate the entire system inside the rifle. All I need to do now, is paint it, and clean up the trigger well on the rifle, add some longer wires for the switch, and attach it in place.

Also did some other clean up work, particularly the screen display. I'm aiming to get it close to accurate as I can without compramising the structural integrity, but it's getting close to how I'd like it. I feel the right side is pretty much finished, but the left just need some more filler and sanding.

004-2.jpg

Getting there..

-TC

Last edited by a moderator:
Woke up a bit late today, but I decided to go out and do a bit more work on the helmet. The only thing really preventing me from painting is just finishing the vent mods, which I made some headway on today (along with several cutting disks..)

Still rough right now, as I haven't taken sanding files to it just yet, which I'm going to do right now. I'm debating on either rounding the sections that remain, or adding on top of it to give it a rounded tube look, but I'll see..

002-6.jpg

001-6.jpg

003-2.jpg

Got started on filling in the other side, so just gotta repeat it over there. Other than that, just minor filling around the helmet. I'm going to try and order a motorcyle helmet liner as well in the near future..

-TC

I'd say this vent is about 90% done at the moment. It's pretty much done being shaped to where I want it, but as you can see from the pics, I still need to clean the ends. Going to try some different techniques to smooth it all out..

001-122.jpg

002-96.jpg

I think that overall it's looking pretty good, by no means perfect though

003-86.jpg

-TC

More significant progress done (to me at least since it takes so freaking long!) Only stopped cause my dremel needs to recharge..

Just need to round out each section and clean clean clean! Some pits appeared, and this is what happens when you grab two packs of epoxy putty and the one behind it, although very similar, turns out to be an off-brand. Not much to worry about, just fill it back up.

004-66.jpg

Aside from that, I think it's turning out pretty well overall. I'm planning to get started painting by thanksgiving weekend (Going to be stuck on post anyways). Other than that, I just need to figure out what to do for my "head lights"

002-97.jpg

-TC

Fantastic work on the your helm. I like what you are doing for the vents.
Keep up that level of time comitment and detail and you'll have an AWESOME helm!
If I might say, I have a feeling that I'll like your helm better than mine!

Please continue to post your progress pics. Very inspirational and motivational.

Cheers

Fantastic work on the your helm. I like what you are doing for the vents.
Keep up that level of time comitment and detail and you'll have an AWESOME helm!
If I might say, I have a feeling that I'll like your helm better than mine!

Please continue to post your progress pics. Very inspirational and motivational.

Cheers

Thank you for your kind words! I'm really happy I went with thorssoli's products, it's very well made and very accurate. The plus is that it fits me perfectly (I'm 6'7" and proportionate in size) so I can't be happier.

As far as the vents, I want to remind everyone that it's my personal interpretation of the vent design. The originals had no issues and looked great! It was a desicion I made previous to my aquisition of a helmet, regardless of what ever helmet I decided to go with unless the specifications of the mods I'm making had pre-existed.

Wish I had more time, as I have class on saturday now and by the time I get off duty, it's practically sun-down!

Alright! Started painting the helmet today! Got several coats of OD green on tonight and I feel it's looking really sharp! Gonna be going back tomorrow and adding the black paint then I'll begin weathering the entire thing.

002-98.jpg

003-87.jpg

I also got back to work on my AR. The magazine well is FINALLY cleared out...many many sanding drums later...Just need to close out some gaps between the rifle and the magazine so that when I put the mag in, it'll just fit snug. I'm still trying to figure how I'm gonna do these electronice, but after I can get the ammo counter assembled along with the face plate, I'm gonna re-attach the large piece I cut off, after I get the trigger permanently mounted and ALL the wires strung along through the mag well, where I've decided I'll be housing the batteries.

006-54.jpg

004-67.jpg

005-51.jpg

Stay tuned..

-TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back