Halex's MkVI Build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer about the helmet but it looks like you'll be able to patch it up fine, that magnum wants to come and live with me lol. Great work ;)

Glad to see that your build is coming together. Looks great.

Thanks Tigersgrace, I've been watching your build and it's coming along nicely too!

Bummer about the helmet but it looks like you'll be able to patch it up fine, that magnum wants to come and live with me lol. Great work ;)

Ha! The M6G has become my baby, even more than the DMR right now since it's been cold outside and I can fit the pistol into my heat box. I have given some thought to molding it once I'm satisfied with the detail (if I ever am). Could be a fun project.

awesome build Halex, what materials did you use for the magnum?

thanks
chico

Thanks Chico, it's almost entirely 1.5mm mat board. I looked at pep files but just couldn't stand the thought of pepping a weapon, so after searching some more I found carpathiavh99's sliced reach M6G. Was exactly what I was looking for and had a lot of detail already in it, plus it requires no reinforcement.

Thanks Chico, it's almost entirely 1.5mm mat board. I looked at pep files but just couldn't stand the thought of pepping a weapon, so after searching some more I found carpathiavh99's sliced reach M6G. Was exactly what I was looking for and had a lot of detail already in it, plus it requires no reinforcement.

thanks Halex, i pepped the assault rifle and it was an absolute nightmare, so i will be defo going down the sliced file route after seeing the quality of your magnum, would you by any chance have a link where i can find the file?

thanks chico

Sure do, the one I used (from Reach) is here. Took a few hours to cut out all the pieces, but it was well worth it since I didn't care about moving parts. For prop value, I didn't need anything too special.

--

Quick update without pictures cuz I'm at work:
- Helmet repairs are almost done. High humidity hampering bondo curing.
- Cod cut apart to have some size added. It's the right height but not a 34 waist.
- Right thigh interior cut out to be replaced with foam.
- Construction of second thigh started.
- Boot confirmed to be the right size for the shoes I want to wear with it.
- Torso lower attachment mechanism scheduled for destruction. Doesn't work at all =(

Tonight I want to get home and put everything on and see how it all looks together. I've yet to try on the lower body parts much, but I want to get everything resin'd and rondo-haired by this weekend. Then it's just bondo and detailing, then paint!

Also, I wanted to recant my earlier statement about not liking the Bondo-Hair and resin mix. While it's not the simplest material to work with, I've come to love it. I've tried a few different application methods and to be honest, my favorite has become a double-gloved hand. Eventually it'll eat away the outer glove, so just replace it and move on. I managed to do the entire chest this way without issue and I absolutely love the results. It's rock-hard and easily applied but still flexible, perfect for the torso.

My idea going forward will be pieces that need some movement will be rondo-hair (80% bondo-hair and 20% resin), with additional reinforcement from fiber mat or cloth laid over the top for smaller pieces that don't need the flexibility but require strength (e.g. sides of the helmet, knees, etc). I did the forearms in regular rondo since there is no movement or nearby joints and they were much easier to do with a slush-cast.

Hopefully back tonight with some pictures, assuming Atlanta doesn't get blown away by tornadoes.

I'm blown away by your detail work. This is very nice.

Bad luck on the helmet -- I had my first one stolen, so I know how sh***y it is to suffer a setback. Best of luck with the repairs!

I'm blown away by your detail work. This is very nice.

Bad luck on the helmet -- I had my first one stolen, so I know how sh***y it is to suffer a setback. Best of luck with the repairs!

Thank you very much! I was glad to read through your build and see your new helmet came out very well, though it definitely sucks to have the first one taken from you.

thanks for the link Halex, hopefully i'll get started on it asap!!

thanks
chico

Best of luck to you!

--

Here's what I've got going on right now..

All the completed but not resined pieces.
2013-01-30221919.jpg

And wearing the lower body sections (sorry for the blurry pic).
2013-01-30221618.jpg

I know the shin is a bit short but I expected that as I've got longer than average legs. It's fairly proportional to the thigh and boot (I think, at least), so I'll make a spacer from EVA foam and add some detail to it so that it fills the gap with something.

I hardened the shoulders but there was some warping during the process... will have to heat up and try to fix it, though it's not that severe if it doesn't work.
2013-01-30224147.jpg

2013-01-30224352.jpg

I'll trim them tomorrow evening and see how they fit. If it looks off, I'll go grab a heat gun from Harbor Freight and see what I can do. In the mean time, time to get back to assembling the second thigh. After that, just one more pep piece to go!

Let me know what you all think... not happy about the warping, but overall I think it's going pretty well.

'Till next time!

Not much progress (still working on the left thigh) but couldn't resist doing this once I had the shoulders hardened.

2013-01-31184946_zps237b8854.jpg

Chest isn't fastened on the bottom and the helmet wouldn't stay upright (repairs are finished, pending painting), but I just had to see what it all looked like together. The shoulder is mostly straightened after 15 minutes with a hair dryer and a roll of duct tape to hold the shape while it re-hardened. I may try it one more time and see if I can make them a bit more symmetrical, but they fit pretty well and will accept some padding easily when the time comes.

Hoping to make good progress this weekend with temps above 50 and no rain.

'Till next time!

Part are looking good.
Suit up looks fantastic.
Looks like everything is scaled perfectly.
Keep up the good work. :cool

Nice, the scale of the top pieces looks great!

I'm surprised to see HD thigh pieces that don't have the black detail pieces on the insides already included. What are you planning to use for those parts of the inner thighs? I have yet to make a post about what I did, but there are a lot of options.

Part are looking good.
Suit up looks fantastic.
Looks like everything is scaled perfectly.
Keep up the good work. :cool

Thanks Spartan_127! The scaling has worked out pretty well overall; been very fortunate in that department.

Nice, the scale of the top pieces looks great!

I'm surprised to see HD thigh pieces that don't have the black detail pieces on the insides already included. What are you planning to use for those parts of the inner thighs? I have yet to make a post about what I did, but there are a lot of options.

They did come with the inside panels, I just cut them out. Plan to replace them with EVA foam once they're hardened. Gives me some flexibility to get a better fit. I like the appearance of yours as well, but I've got a ton of foam laying around so I'll see what I can do.

--

Side note, the pep portion of the thighs is finished, complete with a slight modification of the lower light panels.

2013-02-02013040_zpse9533d62.jpg

I like triangles, can you tell? One boot to go, provided I figure out what to do with the shins. After looking at a few other builds, they seem far too short. I'll have to take another look (and maybe more pictures!) and make a decision from there.

Off to bed, got a lot of work to do tomorrow! Primer on the helmet, bondo on the forearms, and a complete re-do of the torso lower join. Pics to follow.

You have a awesome looking build going here.

Thanks Thorn! Appreciate that coming from someone with such an amazing build of their own.

--

Been awhile since the last update, but I've been either out of town, sick, or held back by weather. Hate feeling so unproductive!

Did make some headway on the forearms. Here you can see the layers starting to take shape after coat #1.
2013-02-03121945_zps67f50db8.jpg

2013-02-03121954_zps7abe0750.jpg

And here's an admittedly terrible indoor shot of them, ready for a coat of primer.
2013-02-12205753_zpse3f83414.jpg

The helmet is also ready to prime again with nearly all repairs completed. Was never happy with the way the light housings were post-accident, so took a "FOR SALE" sign and cut down a couple pieces to put into the housings and flatten out the bottom. I think it'll work out pretty well, and will put up some pics when it's ready.

In the mean time, I finished the last piece of my pep! I was so happy to finally be done with this stage of the work.

The following days, I realized what a gap this left in my life. The nights went on endlessly, so empty without my constant pepakura companion. As the daylight waned and my bondo time came to an all-too-early end, I dreaded the approaching darkness... until it dawned on me.
2013-02-12210048_zpsa758b6cc.jpg

2013-02-12210015_zps081e83ab.jpg

MOAR PEP!

It's a tiny bit large and not quite complete, but the Reach helmets seem a little wider overall so I think it should work out. I'll eventually make another thread when I have some more of the build done (yes, I already know what I want it all to be), but for now it'll fill the voids when it's too dark/cold/rainy to work on my tiny balcony workshop.

Let me know what you all think; feedback is always appreciated.

'Till next time!

Woohoo, primer time!

Keep up the awesome work. Always loved the Mark VB Helmet, was going to make one myself for a Thom293 build but am going down the MC H4 path now.
The helmet does look wide BUT ... try make a gap of say, half an inch on top of your head so the helmet is lifted that amount and then see what it looks like. It's looking like it's sitting just that little bit low, but that might just be the angle of the photo though.

Lookin good Halex, lookin real good. (said to S&P's shake it real good...lol )

lol, Thanks Tiger!

Everything is looking good.
Pep on the MKV B looks nice and clean. :cool
Keep up the good work, Halex.

Thanks Spartan_127, it seems like turning off the edge ID's forced me to slow down and look at each piece and how it fit together. Before it was just apply glue and HULK SMASH until the numbers lined up.

Woohoo, primer time!

Keep up the awesome work. Always loved the Mark VB Helmet, was going to make one myself for a Thom293 build but am going down the MC H4 path now.
The helmet does look wide BUT ... try make a gap of say, half an inch on top of your head so the helmet is lifted that amount and then see what it looks like. It's looking like it's sitting just that little bit low, but that might just be the angle of the photo though.

It's always been my favorite too, ever since I played Reach. Had I played it before I started this build, the entire thing would have been a Mk V . Once it gets some resin I'll post a better pic of the finished product, since I've added the rest of the missing details.

--

Update time!

Not a lot to show but wanted to post a few pictures of the primed forearms and some of the spots I'm having difficulties with.

The two primed, and a close-up of the detail piece I added last-minute. It's from a "For Sale" sign so it's taken the paint slightly differently, but I'm really hoping that'll even out after a few layers of primer. Still a few blemishes I need to fix, but overall I'm pleased.
2013-02-19081413_zps4c1f3682.jpg

2013-02-19081456_zpsf50b7044.jpg

And now the problem areas...

This edge keeps lifting up. It's a terrible pic but you can see the dark streak across the upper ridge. The second piece of mat board I bought apparently has a layer on it that likes to peel off, almost like a veneer. Despite my best efforts it refuses to stick back down. Any suggestions besides peeling it off and re-finishing the surface underneath?
2013-02-19081725_zps42b6ded9.jpg

And some roughness around the front edge of each. I think it'll need a light coat of bondo to smooth everything out.
2013-02-19081607_zps3f643dc7.jpg

2013-02-19081800_zps2dc218de.jpg

It's mostly paper fuzz but the first time I tried to use super glue to harden it up, it didn't work too well. Seems an overall smoothing coat is necessary, but it shouldn't be a long process. After that, a few bits of spot putty and fixing that annoying top piece and these should be ready for some actual paint.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome, as are any suggestions if you've dealt with the same thing on your builds.

'Till next time!

Forearms look great! For the peeling you try some super glue along the edge, it sands fairly well when hardened so you can easily clean it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back