Halo Reach Elite Sculpt (Well Hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, what Starvinartist said ;)

Wait... Oil-based clay right??? Use rubbing alcohol instead of water, It's a mild solvent and will evaporate taking the brush marks with it . I't will help you brush off the "raggedness" just as Starvinartist said and smooths it out nicely.:D

Props to the teacher. (That would be Starvinartist)

Man, I envy you to have the space to work with so much clay. Well keep us posted because this is going to be killer when done.:)

Wait... Oil-based clay right??? Use rubbing alcohol instead of water, It's a mild solvent and will evaporate taking the brush marks with it . I't will help you brush off the "raggedness" just as Starvinartist said and smooths it out nicely.:D

Man, I envy you to have the space to work with so much clay. Well keep us posted because this is going to be killer when done.:)

Nice catch Thorn, I completely forgot he was working with polymer clay.

I love the multiple texture styles you have working. You have instinctually done something that takes most sculptures years to learn. By using several different techniques to create different texture effects you have given the different areas of the face distinctive skin qualities without loosing overall cohesion. It is a tough thing to do right but you have definately gotten it right here. My only suggestion would be to use a soft damp brush to soften the detials on the back of the neck. (I'm noticing a little "raggedness" to the texture) You put the brush in water and lightly brush the detials. This should help round trenches without destroying them. The result should be a more natural look of leathery skin that has stretched and relaxed over many years of aging. As always test the technique on some scrap clay first until you get the hang of it and to make sure the results match what you want.

Also your plan on the veins should give a very anatomically correct look. The veins in the neck are large and would be more pronounced given the size of muscles in an neck this thick and powerful. As they branch out like a tree into the head and face they become significantly smaller and less pronounced. In the forehead and face area most veins would be best added in the paint stage as they make very little surface detail. Think of them like branches on a tree. The neck would be the trunk area and the face would be the very tips of the branches.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks buddy, I appreciate that you've taken the time to respond and you continue to view this build. I new what you meant about smoothing the roughness though and I appreciate you tips.

Tony impressive rack, this work is phenomenal

Thanks Toja! I appreciate the kind comments my man. Also, can't wait to see that awesome suit your working on. Looks Great!!

Thanks Thorn, I appreciate the tips. I've been using the Mineral spirits method towards the front of the face, but I'll have to try the rubbing alcohol and see how my results are. again, I appreciate that you continue to view this build.

Thanks again guys, hopefully I don't let you peeps down.

Be good!

Tony

Well, still detailing. Not a big update, but getting there. Hopefully the skin wrinkles look like they are going in the right direction. I still need to soften a lot at a later point. Detailing is definitely the longest part of all this. Well, hopefully it will be a lot further along on the next update.

d96d4495.jpg

d0be96d8.jpg

17201650.jpg

c04d47ce.jpg

Lol, I know it needs a bunch of clean up.

Also, thanks thorn for the rubbing alcohol idea. that is definitely a good one!

Thanks for viewing the thread all!
Tony

This is soooo sick my friend. This Elite shall need to go to the Elite section once complete. :D

That is impressive. I cant wait to see the finished piece I bet it will be very realistic

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. I can't wait to see it finished toooooo! lol

fantastic work. All that detailing is a tedious task, but man does it ever pay off in the end.

Thanks man and your right. Detailing has got to be the most time consuming part of this. I feel like I'm making progress, then I step back from it and it looks as if I've done nothing....lol. The surface area is unbelievable.

This is soooo sick my friend. This Elite shall need to go to the Elite section once complete. :D

Thanks my man!I appreciate the comment. I don't know about that though, but hopefully it turns out well. We'll see. I dread the molding process. ugh...

e3cd894f.jpg

2c738561.jpg

41baaccb.jpg

9f95fa70.jpg

d4eabb80.jpg

ea4f130a.jpg

50fbb31e.jpg

And to think, this is just the begining because I still have to do the fine detailing. Well, it’s coming slowly but surely…lol

Thanks for viewing!

Tony

P.S. I know I need to clean my rat bag house...lol

Haha! Tony this thing freakin' rocks man!!
That is trully a fantastic piece of work. I've always wanted to try working with clay, this is spurring the motivation to want to do it even more!

Once again, trully awesome!
Cereal.

WOW that is freakin awesome!!! great job so far and the detail is great
that can most certainly scare some one

Well I guess that's it for the tips for now. You're work is already well beyond what most people can do, and it's only getting better. :cool

Needless to say This looks AWESOME and I'm looking forward to seeing more.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
:) duuuuuuude this is siiiick :)
i am loving this thread a lot. great work bro
Thanks man, trying my best to make it right. Well, right in my mind…lol
Haha! Tony this thing freakin' rocks man!!
That is trully a fantastic piece of work. I've always wanted to try working with clay, this is spurring the motivation to want to do it even more!

Once again, trully awesome!
Cereal.

You should do it. I have no doubt that you could rock out an awesome clay sculpt. The FX Lab & RPF are great places to see how people work with this medium. I like the FX lab because they special sections devoted to tutorials on how to do some of the skin & texturing effects. Thanks Cereal for the awesome comments!

WOW that is freakin awesome!!! great job so far and the detail is great
that can most certainly scare some one
Lol, thanks my man. Hopefully I will be finished soon on this. I can’t wait to see how it looks all painted up.
Well I guess that's it for the tips for now. You're work is already well beyond what most people can do, and it's only getting better. :cool

Needless to say This looks AWESOME and I'm looking forward to seeing more.:)
Thanks Thorn, It means a lot. I appreciate how you and Starvin have helped through this build. I definitely learned some good tips and I’m still learning things as I go…lol.
x2! Really great work Tony!
Thanks again my man! Same to you on that Beautiful MK6 you’re building!

Thanks again everyone for the awesome comments. I appreciate that everyone is still interested in my super long build…lol
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
You should do it. I have no doubt that you could rock out an awesome clay sculpt. The FX Lab & RPF are great places to see how people work with this medium. I like the FX lab because they special sections devoted to tutorials on how to do some of the skin & texturing effects. Thanks Cereal for the awesome comments!

Thanks again everyone for the awesome comments. I appreciate that everyone is still interested in my super long build…lol
Tony

Thanks for the info Tony! I will check those sites out for sure!!
I'm actually going out tonight to buy some clay, Going to try something small first, like a hand plate. Just need to decicde whether I need medium or hard clay... hrm... will see I guess.

Once again, Looks great!

Dave.

Thanks for the info Tony! I will check those sites out for sure!!
I'm actually going out tonight to buy some clay, Going to try something small first, like a hand plate. Just need to decicde whether I need medium or hard clay... hrm... will see I guess.

Once again, Looks great!

Dave.

I've been using the medium personally (Mostly Klean Klay & tad of the Van Aiken stuff), but I believe this is more personal prefference than anything. Also, since Klean Klay went out of business, I've been buying a clay made by Van Aiken that you can only get at Reynolds Advanced Materials. They were able to copy Klean Klays old formulation and its da bomb. The hard stuff is pretty tough to work with, but then again, it depends whose clay you get. THe Hard Chavant stuff from what I hear is nutty to work with (stuff they use for sculpting car concepts out onto). I'm still fairly new to the sculpting scene, so I don't know a lot about the difference yet. I'm going to pic up some WED Clay (stuff they use in hollywould to do fast big sculpts - Water Based) & some Monster CLay next. I've heard the Monster Clay's density is lower than some of the other oil based modelling clays, so you get more bang for your buck. I guess we'll see. But good luck, Im positive you will do well!

Also, heres a quick little updater. I have to go over the whole thing to put skin cracks in now that I have all my wrinkles in place.

e97c099c.jpg

Thanks for viewing guys!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back