Hardsuit WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going slow, feel like I'm making no progress. Wearther has been so crappy lately I can't go outside to sand anything. I'm hoping I can finish it in time for Dragoncon, but right now it's looking like I won't. If nothing else I'll have it all pieced together, just won't have all the bells and whistles I'd like and there's always room for improvement.

(I contacted him through his website, try using the email address there. You might have better luck getting in touch with him that way, as his PM inbox on here might be full.)

Yep, i feel like that as well sometimes when i go a few weeks without being able to spend time on my projects. My advise is to aim for Dragoncon but if you cant, dont worry as it gives you more time to work on it. How long is it until Dragoncon anyway?

Have you got a shed or something you can kit out with a shop vac to suck up the dust? You can also make hot boxes and things that have a fan that sucks the resin fumes outside.

Ill email him directly, cheers :) I want to start working on it over winter (getting close).

Great work on the Hard Suit so far reaver. I have never heard or seen anything on this suit before today. I definitely think it is cool looking though. Don't give up, press through. In the end, it will be all worth it.

Totally! The one thing i love about these forums is i never feel a lack of motivation due to all the positive comments. Rock on IllynReaver :)

Vshore100, it was originally an anime from the 80s that was cancelled before its time. They then created an OAV then recreated the series in the late 90s (? cant remember... could have been 2000). The best thing about it was the female power armor suits! :)

Totally! The one thing i love about these forums is i never feel a lack of motivation due to all the positive comments. Rock on IllynReaver :)

Vshore100, it was originally an anime from the 80s that was cancelled before its time. They then created an OAV then recreated the series in the late 90s (? cant remember... could have been 2000). The best thing about it was the female power armor suits! :)

Ah, I see. Sounds pretty cool. May have to check it out some time.

Yep, i feel like that as well sometimes when i go a few weeks without being able to spend time on my projects. My advise is to aim for Dragoncon but if you cant, dont worry as it gives you more time to work on it. How long is it until Dragoncon anyway?

Have you got a shed or something you can kit out with a shop vac to suck up the dust? You can also make hot boxes and things that have a fan that sucks the resin fumes outside.

Ill email him directly, cheers :) I want to start working on it over winter (getting close).

I've got about four months, I deliberately subracted one month so that way I'll keep on track more plus all those last minute things that always come up I can try and finish before the con.

I do not have a shed, and you sanding inside is just a bad idea. lol. Working on getting one so I'll have a workshop eventually. So I just have to make due with the weather until then.

Seriously all the positive comments I get keeps me motivated to work on this thing, (besides the fact I've been wanting to make this for a very long time) I really hate when I have no progress to share with people.

Ah, I see. Sounds pretty cool. May have to check it out some time.

The power suits are pretty cool, one of the reasons I fell in love with the series, and now I'm attempting to make one.

I'm not happy. Bit of a set back, chest piece was completely ruined and I have to redo it. :(

IMG_0888.jpg

Noticed it was warped badly on the back/side part and I stupidly kept messing with it and it cracked.

Discovered more cracks on the inside and that the rondo didn't go all the way on the inside like I thought it had so it was mostly just flimsy cardstock and not reinforced like I'd originally thought.
IMG_5249-1.jpg

IMG_68073-1.jpg

Probably the only part I can salvage. :(

Oh bugger! Sorry to see that...

What is the process you are following? Resin (Outside then inside), fiberglass inside, rondo inside (to cover the sharp glass , bondo outside?

Ive always found that the fiberglass makes for a much stronger (a little bit heavier) base to work from.

What is the process you are following? Resin (Outside then inside), fiberglass inside, rondo inside (to cover the sharp glass , bondo outside?

Ive always found that the fiberglass makes for a much stronger (a little bit heavier) base to work from.
Also, and this may be too late to be of any use, but fiberglass MAT instead of sheet may be easier/better for a buils such as this.

Yes, that's the process I'm following. Resin outside, fiberglass inside and then rondo inside. Was getting to the bondo outside when I found warping and cracking.

I'm not terribly worried about the weight as long as I'm able to move.

Also, and this may be too late to be of any use, but fiberglass MAT instead of sheet may be easier/better for a buils such as this.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I redo the chest piece. :)

And the character that she's basing her suit off of is also the lead of a rock band.

Hey IllynReaver, I thought about how much money and time you invested already, and I suppose you have tons of fiberglass sheet left so buying mat would be another EXPENSE you don't need. So I'm here to suggest that you may ALSO: be able to get more detail coverage by cutting the sheet into squares, just make sure you overlap your pieces.
Hope this helps

Lol! Yeah I do have a lot of fiberglass left over so that'll help, thanks for the tip.

Got the new chest piece all put together!
IMG_0073-1.jpg

IMG_75443-1.jpg

IMG_68075-1.jpg

I am a die-hard fan of BGC, and seeing you making this warms my heart immensely. Out of curiosity, did you make that yourself? If not, where did you get those files? I'd love to try my hand at making that at some point (or if I was lucky, build Sylia's hardsuit).

Keep up the epic work!

Last edited by a moderator:
:) I'm glad you like it!

No I did not make the files myself. I got them from Rundown.

That would be awesome if you did Sylia's hardsuit, and thanks!

i just wanted to say this build is fricken awesome!

i contacted propzone to purchase the pdo files for this build. hopefully i will have a fun time doing this as well!

instead of fiberglass and paper, i am doing polyetheline foam and wraping it in vinyl.

no intention to hijack thread but i just wanted to show how i'll be doing it,i hope!!!

im sure it wont look as AWESOME as yours but i'll try.

youtube video of technique
same guy but auto-mail
gallery of same technique
website for the guy in videos
i've been researching this all for 5 days now and i have alot of saved links. but i think this build is the BEST i've seen so far for pepakura construction!

Thank you, I'm trying not to rush the build and keep coming across problems. I've actually started to incorporate foam into the build a bit, mostly in the areas I'll have lots of movement or need to be able to bend a bit.

It looks like a neat way to make armor, best of luck!

instead of fiberglass and paper, i am doing polyetheline foam and wraping it in vinyl.

Oh Goldy! yeah he's an awesome mecha-cosplayer. Been around for a long time

Here is his website:
http://gadgettool.web.fc2.com/log01E.htm

He's made some awesome cosplays of Gundam and various robots from Anime.

I do have to warn you about this method. If you plan on this route, be prepared for higher maintenance due to higher chance of wear and tear. Its really meant for you to just stand around and pose. It's not meant for you to be really active in, since the material itself is not durable. And forget about areas where you wish to be sitting on. Those areas will warp after constant movement and sitting. I made my Saber Armor (Fate/Stay Night) using this method, and I've had to repair it twice due to wear and tear and the vinyl peeling off the foam, despite using the same adhesives (even using Contact cement).

This method is great for areas on your body that requires movement (smaller pieces) that can be hidden or look apart of the bigger armor pieces. Armor pieces like behind the knees, at the elbows, around the neck, shoulder areas, wrists etc etc. Since the foam can bend, it allows you to get those areas to look like armor without sacrificing movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back