"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learning so much with you all

Hi everybody !

I´m noob in resining and fiberglassing. So...I´m reading...reading...reading... and learning so much !! :)

Me and my son Lucas (in my country sounds like Luke in U.S.) starting assembled a pepakura Halo Helmet MK VI. Really goes great and we finished gluing all that pieces.
So now, we are going to resining the helmet.

Already have a good respirator mask (with particles filter) , gloves and brushes. We are ready to go.

in short : 1st - thin layers of resin in OUTSIDE of the helmet.
2nd - resin with fiberglass INSIDE. Maybe 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass to make helmet hard enough.

safety and health first.

I will post the progress pictures in other Thead, if you allow me. :)

Thanks for your patience with us, noobies ! LOL :D

Sorry about my poor english.

Fernando from Brazil.

Hey Fernando, I always use one layer of resin on the outside, then one layer of resin on the inside, then another layer of resin with fiberglass on the inside. The first layer of resin on the inside is to provide a base for applying the fiberglass, and reinforcing the pepakura cardstock. Make the structure strong, then reinforce it to make it last.

Thanks Toymakerkarl for your tip !! I really appreciate !! thanks a lot !!

Here in Brazil I knew a product called putty ( in portuguese "Massa Plastica" - plastic mass or simply Putty). Used in restoration of vehicles, but that product is very thick. Not liquid.
In this case, i think.... products like Rondo have a similar or substitute ? someone has already tested some "cars restoration products" to substitute fiberglass resin ?

I`m reading about Smoothcast 320.....so...I wonder.....the "liquid plastic" called Easy Flo 60 could be a proper substitute of Smoothcast 320 ?? It's a two components resin. 1 part A and 1 part B 1/1 parts. Few minutes to cure.

someone has alread tested that product ?

Thanks again for your attention and patience.

regards from Brazil.

I kinda confused on part of rondo and fiberglass cloth does it ok if I just give rondo to the fiberglass resin without any fiberglass cloth?

after my helmet is all bondoed up and sanded to shape i hear I need some kind of oil to sand to smooth finish?? what kind of oil?

Never heard of that. I imagine it would be a huge pain to get the oil back off the model to make the paint stick, too.

I kinda confused on part of rondo and fiberglass cloth does it ok if I just give rondo to the fiberglass resin without any fiberglass cloth?

I'm confused as well, beacuse I don't understand your question. Try to rephrase it, use more full stops.

Rondo is a mix of resin and Bondo (thus the weird name). Adding that to resin makes no sense, because you already used resin to make it. Look for "mudglassing" if you want to use it with fibreglass. You can also use it without reinforcement.

I need informations. I already started the process of resining....so...how many coats of resin? how many layers of fiberglass to make the helmet stronger and hard enough ?

other question : when...in the resining process, I start to cut the helmet´s paper visor ? Only later, when the resin is completed cured ?

i hope I have been clear. Sorry about my english.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards from Brazil.

Fernando

I need informations. I already started the process of resining....so...how many coats of resin? how many layers of fiberglass to make the helmet stronger and hard enough ?

other question : when...in the resining process, I start to cut the helmet´s paper visor ? Only later, when the resin is completed cured ?

How many coats of resin depends on how heavy your paper is. Since each layer has to cure before you can continue, you can just keep going and check the strength after each one. Stop when you're satisfied with it.

Cutting is impossible while the resin is liquid. Don't do it, you'll ruin your tool.

Thanks, Ventrue ! :)

The paper (card paper) is 180 gr. Not too hard, but not too soft. Looks pretty well. I´m using Pritt Glue Stick.

The helmet is already hard and solid. I will to apply 1 or 2 coats of resin and fiberglass. I´m applying resin in all internal surfaces of helmet, except on the visor. The visor is clean of resin, has no resin. I no apply resin in the internal surface of the visor, cause I will cut off that part later.

Is this right procedure ?

thanks again,

Fernando.

Thanks, Ventrue ! :)
The helmet is already hard and solid. I will to apply 1 or 2 coats of resin and fiberglass. I´m applying resin in all internal surfaces of helmet, except on the visor. The visor is clean of resin, has no resin. I no apply resin in the internal surface of the visor, cause I will cut off that part later.

Is this right procedure ?

It doesn't hurt to put resin on the visor. You can skip the fiberglass if you wish. The visor helps maintaining the shape of the helmet. If you just apply resin on the helmet and not the visor, it may put too much pressure on paper visor and cause the helmet to mishape.

Thanks CoolC , for your tips !! I took some care about it ( about the mishape of the helmet), applying resin and fiberglass on the internal side walls of the helmet.

Thanks again for your post.

Regards from Brazil. :)

Heya guys, does anyone know a netstore that sells aqua resin? I live in Finland so we don't have stores like Walmart that sell everything, so I'm guessing netstore is my only option to aquire it. Any help would be appreciated.

Heya guys, does anyone know a netstore that sells aqua resin? I live in Finland so we don't have stores like Walmart that sell everything, so I'm guessing netstore is my only option to aquire it. Any help would be appreciated.

See if you can find Acrystal Prima*, it's a European alternative.

(*Not sure about the Prima, check that first.)

hey guys does there`s any way to repair some part that has falling appart after I resining I`ve been trying of using diffre`nt type of glue but does`nt work

recon313, resin adhesive resin. I believe that other types of glues doesn't work.

clean the parts, sand and try use more resin or more fiberglass to fix the work.

hope I help you.

Cheers,

Fernando from Brazil

recon313, resin adhesive resin. I believe that other types of glues doesn't work.

clean the parts, sand and try use more resin or more fiberglass to fix the work.

hope I help you.

Cheers,

Fernando from Brazil

Thx fernando for the tip.though I find another easier method yesterday by using Bondo as subtitute of glue to stick that part and my suggetion about it is to use more catalyst to make the reaction faster

Aqua resin, or fiberglass resin, which would you use? I know alot of use out there are making these helms and armor, but so many different ways to do it. I've been making the Helms for about 3 years now, out of card stock and giving them to firend/ fans that like it the way it is, but now I want to go one step further, and want to make sure I am doing this right. Also I was wondering if there are any unfolded versions of any female pieces. The zip file I found you have to unfold it, etc. Also can anyone tell me a good ratio to use on the MK 6 I can't seem to get this right, lol its way to big!

Aqua resin, or fiberglass resin, which would you use?

Depends on your requirements. Aqua-Resin is safer, polyester resin is cheaper.

Also I was wondering if there are any unfolded versions of any female pieces.

Yes, there are.

Also can anyone tell me a good ratio to use on the MK 6 I can't seem to get this right, lol its way to big!

Weapons do not need to be scaled and the default size is usually the correct one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back