"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody I have built the mark vi high detail forearms and I was wondering should I just use a thin layer of bondo because it has small details that I don't want to loose. This is my first build so anybody please help me

Hey, guys. Just another question, here - this time, involving safety. When applying resin (as well as bondo and sanding), I know you need an organic vapor respirator, some latex gloves, and some eye protection. The question is: WHAT kind of eye protection? Would protective eyeglasses be fine, or should I grab some goggles, or something more specific? Thanks for the help!

Hi everybody I have built the mark vi high detail forearms and I was wondering should I just use a thin layer of bondo because it has small details that I don't want to loose. This is my first build so anybody please help me

Then don't use Bondo (everywhere).

Hey, guys. Just another question, here - this time, involving safety. When applying resin (as well as bondo and sanding), I know you need an organic vapor respirator,

Yes.

some latex gloves,

No.

and some eye protection.

Yes.

The question is: WHAT kind of eye protection? Would protective eyeglasses be fine, or should I grab some goggles, or something more specific? Thanks for the help!

You'll only need protection against splashes, so a pair of those cheap chemistry-school-lab type of glasses should be sufficient. However, you will also be sanding later on and a pair of dust-tight googles will be really handy then, so you might as well use those while resining.

Ah, thanks about the goggles! However, I thought the resin could be absorbed by your skin, and that was why you need gloves. But, you know better than me!
Thanks for your reply!

Ah, thanks about the goggles! However, I thought the resin could be absorbed by your skin, and that was why you need gloves. But, you know better than me!
Thanks for your reply!

It can. The point is not that you don't need gloves at all, but that thin examination gloves won't help much. Have a look at my safety guide, link is in my signature.

I have never touched Fiberglass or any of the hardening steps in my life.
Could someone give me a full list of what i will need i cant use many nasty fumes in my neighborhood.
Thank you in advance

since i have very little time to go through 150 pages of intel i'll just ask my question.

when getting to the bondo application should the outside resin be sanded or not? Cuze i got a very smooth coat of resin on my parts and not sure if i should sand it or not?

A fast and rough sanding will give the filler a better surface to stay, anyway any polyester based filler (which Bondo is) will stick perfectly to polyester resin.

I`ve been doing some bondo on the helmet and been finding a lot of rough surfaces. Does I need to rebondo it again/just sand it?
IMG00106-20120205-2046.jpg

secondly as u can see on the below of the helmet it`s does not fit on my head very much and this is my second build after I hardening it and the result on the shape is the same so does eva mat(or whatever they called it) could fix it?
IMG00109-20120205-2049.jpg

Question on regards to bondo. If I'm trying to add details to a model (because the pepa model I had wasn't exactly the design i'm going for, so im accounting for that in bondo) Is it practical to take like, wire mesh (windowscreen) thats part of the fiberglass base, but the mesh comes to the surface and wraps around, and to make it so that when doign the bondo the bondo also has that to grab onto as well as the surface (roughly sanded) of the base.

I`ve been doing some bondo on the helmet and been finding a lot of rough surfaces. Does I need to rebondo it again/just sand it?
Did you coat the entire helmet in Bondo? That's what it looks like, and if you did, you have A LOT of sanding to do. Bondo is mainly meant to smooth out corners or edges where needed, not to just slather over everything.

secondly as u can see on the below of the helmet it`s does not fit on my head very much and this is my second build after I hardening it and the result on the shape is the same so does eva mat(or whatever they called it) could fix it?
Simply trim out the base until you can fit your head through. Not sure how EVA foam would "fix" anything, but it does help to make the helmet fit tight and comfortably on your head once you get it on...

Question on regards to bondo. If I'm trying to add details to a model (because the pepa model I had wasn't exactly the design i'm going for, so im accounting for that in bondo) Is it practical to take like, wire mesh (windowscreen) thats part of the fiberglass base, but the mesh comes to the surface and wraps around, and to make it so that when doign the bondo the bondo also has that to grab onto as well as the surface (roughly sanded) of the base.
Possible? Most likely.
Practical? I don't think so.
If I understand correctly, you want to add parts that are not on the original Pep file. I think your best option would be to use cardboard to build up parts instead of mesh+Bondo. You can even use foam pieces, depending on what kind of stuff you want to add.

Note to everyone: Bondo is primarily used as a "detailer". It's a great product, but not the end-all-be-all material for armor making. When used the way it's supposed to be (thin coats, small quantities), you get good results. However, it's a brittle material when dry that does not offer much in terms of structural support. Yes, Bondo is a main ingredient in Rondo, but in my opinion, it's a shortcut method that simply makes for a more brittle/fragile end result compared to other things, like fiberglass.

/tangent.

owh so Bondo is used all the edges to detail the part not all of it. Thx man been worrying how much bondo would I use for the whole suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back