"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys ^.^
Hope ya'll are doing great, and still building ;D!

Currently, I am close to completing my first Pepakura Helmet (Jun's). Later today I will finish the top of the helmet, and then hopefully be able to resin it tomorrow afternoon; however before I begin the next step, I hold a few questions of concern.

1) There are a few "holes" in my helmet at the moment. I am not sure if they represent cutting/gluing mistakes (and theyre not very big [you can NOT fit a pencil through it, though theyre still visible]). My concern for this is, if I do resin/bondo and finish the whole thing, I feel those sections will be weak, and quite possibly be easy to damage. I do understand, the helmet, overall, will not be the same damage-proof as in-game (lol obviously), and it will need to be handled with care. Now for my question (after prolonging it), can I reinforce those "holes" from the inside with additional Pepakura?

2) Jun's Helmet is composed of several installations of which LED lights can be installed. In those spots, I did not use the pepakura design since I will install lights; so I figured it will be a pain to cut them out, install the light, and fill in the hole. Question : Should I place a temporary marks over the light area (like on top of it) during bondo, or .. how does the whole bondo process work, when you wish to install different perks into the helmet? Do you need to cut that part of the bondo out, and then put the light in ; or, do carefully bondo AROUND the hole area (where you put the lights)? I read through a few threads and none were quite clear on that process.

A few more questions, but these are related to future projects

3)After you scale your armor piece, print and cut out; is there a technique used to find a certain piece?
- I believe most of my time towards this build was focused on, either, cutting or finding a specific piece. I used a tupperware container, and placed all my pieces, big and small, into it. Then during my build, I would have my hot glue on my right, helmet in the middle, and tupperware to my left. If you have any techniques that you feel work, please share!
- I came up with another technique, although I am not sure how efficiently it works. Basically I'll print all my piece, and WILL NOT CUT, unless I need a specific piece. Soo ill used the Pepakura program, see that I need "piece A", look at which page the piece is on, then flip to that page (I'll have all the pages stacked to my left, numbered 1-X), and only then cut that piece out. Since hot glue is like a ticking bomb and I need to cut/mark/fold, I might do 5 pieces at a time. How does that sound?

4) On the Pepakura program, are there anyways to move the numbers on the piece? Some numbers were overlapped on others, making it hard to read, so I had a tough time with that.

And lastly, that related this my current project, but for the future.
5) How do you install a visor correctly? Simple A or B is fine. Do you bondo first, then install (A) / Install first, then Bondo (B)?

Thanks again guys for helping me out ^.^
Do keep building, and I shall be making a thread of my own build later this weekend!

~Levente

As far as i know, the pepakura program does not work on a mac..pdf or not. I could be wrong. But pretty sure it cant....someone will correct me if i am wrong.

Pepakura is not compatible with the Mac OS unless you have bootcamp or something similar that would run Windows on your Mac. But, .pdo files can be converted to .pdf files (which work on Mac) and you can just print those. Ask someone willing to convert the files into .pdf (you might need to give them scaling instructions, i'm not sure)

If someone could answer my questions, above; I would greatly appreciate it. I will be doing my first coat of resin later this weekend (school has dominated my social life; hence the lack of work on my project) and I need to know a few things before I do so.

Cheers!

Does anybody have a link to a sliced Magnum?

There's one here. It's the Reach M6G... I know there's the SOCOM variant somewhere as well. Try the database, if you haven't already.

Hey guys ^.^
Hope ya'll are doing great, and still building ;D!

Currently, I am close to completing my first Pepakura Helmet (Jun's). Later today I will finish the top of the helmet, and then hopefully be able to resin it tomorrow afternoon; however before I begin the next step, I hold a few questions of concern.

1) There are a few "holes" in my helmet at the moment. I am not sure if they represent cutting/gluing mistakes (and theyre not very big [you can NOT fit a pencil through it, though theyre still visible]). My concern for this is, if I do resin/bondo and finish the whole thing, I feel those sections will be weak, and quite possibly be easy to damage. I do understand, the helmet, overall, will not be the same damage-proof as in-game (lol obviously), and it will need to be handled with care. Now for my question (after prolonging it), can I reinforce those "holes" from the inside with additional Pepakura?

Yeah, just glue another piece on the inside. It'll all resin together without issue. The paper and resin isn't what provides the strength. That's the job of the rondo/fiberglass.

2) Jun's Helmet is composed of several installations of which LED lights can be installed. In those spots, I did not use the pepakura design since I will install lights; so I figured it will be a pain to cut them out, install the light, and fill in the hole. Question : Should I place a temporary marks over the light area (like on top of it) during bondo, or .. how does the whole bondo process work, when you wish to install different perks into the helmet? Do you need to cut that part of the bondo out, and then put the light in ; or, do carefully bondo AROUND the hole area (where you put the lights)? I read through a few threads and none were quite clear on that process.

It depends on the order in which you're building it and the type of modification. When I left the holes for lights in my MkVI, I kept the holes open through the bondo process and will be cleaning them up at the very end (resin drips and such) then installing the hardware. I suppose you could cover them and drill out at the end, but personally I wouldn't risk cracking the bondo.

A few more questions, but these are related to future projects

3)After you scale your armor piece, print and cut out; is there a technique used to find a certain piece?
- I believe most of my time towards this build was focused on, either, cutting or finding a specific piece. I used a tupperware container, and placed all my pieces, big and small, into it. Then during my build, I would have my hot glue on my right, helmet in the middle, and tupperware to my left. If you have any techniques that you feel work, please share!
- I came up with another technique, although I am not sure how efficiently it works. Basically I'll print all my piece, and WILL NOT CUT, unless I need a specific piece. Soo ill used the Pepakura program, see that I need "piece A", look at which page the piece is on, then flip to that page (I'll have all the pages stacked to my left, numbered 1-X), and only then cut that piece out. Since hot glue is like a ticking bomb and I need to cut/mark/fold, I might do 5 pieces at a time. How does that sound?

Easiest is to work close to pep designer; consult as needed and don't cut too far ahead unless you can keep the pieces organized by sheet (like the way they were printed).

4) On the Pepakura program, are there anyways to move the numbers on the piece? Some numbers were overlapped on others, making it hard to read, so I had a tough time with that.

You can change the font size in the options, and there's one about showing numbers on the outside of the flap, or something like that. I can't remember exactly and am stuck at work, but if you look around in there you'll find it.

And lastly, that related this my current project, but for the future.
5) How do you install a visor correctly? Simple A or B is fine. Do you bondo first, then install (A) / Install first, then Bondo (B)?

Thanks again guys for helping me out ^.^
Do keep building, and I shall be making a thread of my own build later this weekend!

~Levente

Bondo the outside to your liking, then fit the visor and fill the gaps with any method you like (search around, there are several).

Good luck on your build!

Need some help regarding my pep helmet, before i fiberglass it is there any steps i need to take to strengthen it first? if so what, and with what tools?

Thanks Halex! You totally helped me a bunch.

@Ionic Apex
I am still a novice, however what I learned from reading dozens of threads was you need to resin the outside first. When you resin it, put a very very light coat on first (so it doesn't warp), then put another additional one (light again). Then, and only then you fiberglass the inside. From what I know, fiberglassing the outside makes the helmet looks bad.

I just resin my helmet today, so heres what I used..
- Bondo (brand) Fiberglass Resin
- Medium Paintbrush
- Measuring Cup (for the resin .. if I remember correctly for every 1 ounce resin you put 10 drops of hardner [read the instruction on the can])
- Newspaper (so the work table doesnt get messy)
- Container to hold the resin
- And lastly, something to mix the resin with the harder (I used a plastic spoon)

For the fiberglass (which ill do this weekend).. you basically buy the vertical strips of fiberglass, dabble a tiny bit of resin inside the helmet (where youll place that strip), then place the fiberglass on top of it. Finally you smear a bit of resin on the edge of the fiberglass to hold in place.

This is what I know =X .. and again .. I'm still a novice, so do read other answers.

Best of Luck ^.^!

Would someone mind providing a simple guide to folding? For example, what type of fold is done on the dashed line, or what fold to do on the dash/dotted line? Thanks

flaps with the dashed line you fold downwards dash/dotted lines you fold upwards... but, always check if this is the case in the pepakura designer. There are some filles in which this is the other way around.

To check in pepakura, find a sharp big fold in the 3d image. check if it is a mountain or a valley fold and then see what line is used in the 2d overview.

I tried searching this thread but its not working right in my iPhone.

Where is the best place to buy 110lb 11x17 cardstock from? Any retail stores sell it? I can only find it in 8.5 x 11. I'm 6'2" so when I scale what I'm working or to My size so many pieces are bigger then the normal stock size. So does anyone know retail stores I can get this from?

I tried searching this thread but its not working right in my iPhone.

Where is the best place to buy 110lb 11x17 cardstock from? Any retail stores sell it? I can only find it in 8.5 x 11. I'm 6'2" so when I scale what I'm working or to My size so many pieces are bigger then the normal stock size. So does anyone know retail stores I can get this from?

Should be able to get this at any walmart or staples. Really, any place that would sell printing paper.

Should be able to get this at any walmart or staples. Really, any place that would sell printing paper.

Yea I called everyone no one Carries 11X17 in retail stores. So i ordered 2 250 bundles of it. This way I can make Bigger pieces for my size.

well im am just getting started, i am making an armor for the next year desi con in norway, and i have a question: do i need a special type of paper?
and if were can i buy them? (please a web-store were it can be shipped world wide, or just to europe, norway.

I'm hoping this goes here!

I've recently picked up a Pep file for a 'Sliced' reach Battle Rifle.

I'm understand most of it, I cut out the templates and put them onto card/foam right? Then glue them all together?

What about the opposite side, Do I flip the details and repeat cutting them out? If so, How do I 'flip' them? Hope you understand what I'm trying to say :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back