Lazarus's Halo 5 Centurion project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the stuff is awesome. I worked in an HVAC place for a bit leading me to work with the stuff, and when I had the idea of making a textured grip that felt like rubber, my thoughts immediately went to that. I need to make some practice pieces and see how the stuff sands down, and reacts to a clear coat. That and I need to order some more damn XTC-3D. I got my gloves finished, I just needs to coat all the little pieces.

my god im so jelly. i have freehanded my chest and back pieces off the master chief foam Pep and it doesnt look as amazing as this one!

my god im so jelly. i have freehanded my chest and back pieces off the master chief foam Pep and it doesnt look as amazing as this one!

You've got more talent than me. I couldn't freehand a piece if my life depended on it.

In other news, the chest piece is done being printed and assembled. (just need to fill some gaps, and clean it up a bit) I'll update pictures later as im in Hospital with my wife awaiting the arrival of my 2nd Daughter,

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates. gotta love the chaotic life of newborns...

Anyways, here are those chest piece pictures. I also got the boots done (pics soon), I just need to figure out a way to fill in the gaps between the actual boot and the plastic to make it look a little more ergonomic. I got some good heavy duty floor mat pads (think exercise equipment mat) for an extra 1/4" on the bottom of the heel and toe pieces. I'll probably use it as the filler as well.

As of now, I'm waiting on some hardware for a latch mechanism (similar to the shoulder strap on the chest) for my Shin and Thigh pieces. I have the thighs all scaled and ready to slice and edit the model. (just need the dimensions of the hardware as I'm using different clips to reduce profile) so once I get that, I should be cranking out the last couple of components of the suit! Super excited about getting this thing finished printing.

20160218_203438329_iOS.jpgFinished frame and packs
20160218_203433405_iOS.jpgBack view. (needs some clay work to fill in the gap on that left side.)
20160218_203428023_iOS.jpgShowing the spine plate that is going to house some magnets for the strapless sling on the Railgun

In all, that massive chunk of plastic weighs about 15 pounds or 6.6kg. (took 3 spools of filament.)

Update on the boots!

20160224_191856254_iOS.jpg
The straps will be raised to be more on level with the raised toe portion. probably gonna use a combination of the 2mm foam and the thick mat I have to fill the void.

Love the 3d printing work hope to do somthing like this when I get my printer. Also are you going to post/uploading the odj, dwg, or stl files to here or the archives?

The Files I used are the Raw .obj files for the Centurion armor. I just split them up, and scaled them all. (aside from some minor modifications to add latches,buckles, etc,.) You can find them in the Halo 5 release pack

is there any way you could sell a spine plate? looks great!

If you mean for an undersuit component, it's actually not for that purpose. That plate actually attaches to the plate on the undersuit. But if you are in fact looking for the section of the armor, let me know which suit you need and I'll go digging in the archive and see if I can find it.

Update:

I've got all the hardware attached to my boots now. Just need to use some primer on them, sand em a little, and paint. I'm also probably going to be sealing off some of that ugliness with some 2mm foamies to make it look more sleek. (may even try to add in a hex-pattern on the foamies.)
20160229_012548325_iOS.jpgBoots as of now
20160229_012655182_iOS.jpgRubber mat soles to avoid clicking while walking, and showing the bolts running into the sole.

Other than that, I'm waiting on my ratchets and straps to show up Monday afternoon so I can take measurements and edit the thighs and shins accordingly. The thighs have already been edited to account for the clamshell hinges, though I suspect I'll have to do some roughing and adding a bit of open-cell foam to allow for some play when opening the whole setup.

2016-02-28 (1).pngThigh split. For the sake of making everything look decent, the split went right up the outside of the thigh (so I can add in the ratchet mechanism without it looking out of place) This is showing it "open"
2016-02-28.pngclamshell hinge

Mini update: I got my ratchets and straps in, modeled the thigh pieces, and am currently printing them. I should have had the majority of the front-half of a thigh done, but my computer decided to restart and install updates while my printer was going. And because Repetier doesn't like to save bed-levelling data, there was no way for me to salvage almost 8 hours of printing... so those all got thrown in the trash. (yay wasted filament) So hopefully, I'll have one half of a thigh piece printed by Thursday night.

Once I get the Right Thigh printed, I can start mounting magnets in it, and in the M6H2, and begin painting the pistol. I've decided the M6H2 is going to be rocking the Gold Standard paint job.
20160229_010241000_iOS.png Should be a really fun paint job. I found some nice metallic gold Acrylic paint I forgot I bought a while ago, and it should work nicely. It's got a bit more luster than the in-game model (which just looks yellow) but I think it'll come out nicely. Time will tell!

ALSO!!!! if anyone has this particular weapon skin, would you mind sacrificing some time and let me get some additional in-game screenshots of it? To say I'd appreciate it is an understatement.

I also decided to experiment with using a filler primer instead of my normal XTC-3D on the boot hardware, and it turned out pretty nice. I put on about 6 coats and the striations are all gone. Only downside is that between 2 boots, I used the entire can... So I'm either gonna be looking for a higher-build, or stick with my smooth-on... if the higher build is no better, I'll probably use the primer for smaller parts like weapons exclusively. (7 bucks a can vs 40 bucks a kit of XTC which will last me significantly longer) I'll post pictures of the boots when I get home from school.

And a question for anyone who has worked with foamies before... How does it paint? for example, if I had some red foam, and wanted to paint it black, would the paint crack when flexed? What is the best way to paint it if it works? (hand brush, airbrush, or spray paint)
Thanks for the input in advance!

Greetings once again everyone! Again, I apologize for the lack of updates, but progress has been slow. I've been working on printing the thighs, modelling the shins, and trying to prep as much stuff for paint as I can all while juggling a 2 year old and a new born. So heres a small update!

I've begun painting the boot hardware, and put on an base layer of silver to make the weathering job easier. (going to clear coat that, then paint over the clear coat so I can just rub away the top coat and leave a nice silver base) So that's super exciting. I've also cut out templates to make the sides/top of the boots look nice and pretty using 2mm adhesive foamies. (after going through like 5 sheets figuring out a good shape to cut them into...) \
20160309_021744312_iOS.jpgAfter/before base layer

and now I'm trying to texture the foamies with a hex-pattern that I printed out. (I'm pushing a honeycomb into the foam and attempting to make it hold that pattern.

So far the results are lackluster... the dang foam keeps springing back and holds the slightest bit of impression, but nothing noticeable without it being scrutinized.
20160309_035405157_iOS.jpg(Left side - freshly pressed. Right side- about 2 minutes after release)

So if any of you foam masters *cough FlyinPhil Cough* could throw me some hint on how to make the foam keep a nice deep impression, I'd be very grateful.

Other than that, I've got one thigh piece fully printed and assembled, and I COULD have been working on mounting the pistol, but stupid me forgot to mirror the model for printing, so my originally Right thigh piece is now my left... Right thigh is on the table now, correctly oriented, and about half way done.

Maybe try heating up the foam with a heat gun then pressing it with the honeycomb. You want to get it hot but not melt it. I don't have much experience with foam but it might work. Lots of costume builders use hot knifes to burn in detail on foam, so it should react similarly when the foam is heated instead of the tool.

So I tried the heat gun thing, and it didn't turn out quite as well as thought. I did find, however, that if you paint it with a layer of Acrylic paint, then heat and press, it holds the shape much better. Still not as crisp as I'd have liked it, but it works for what I had. That means that boots should be going into final painting soon. The thighs are also almost done. I've got another 3 pieces to print and the left thigh will be done, meaning magnets can get mounted, pistols can get painted, and shin pieces can start getting modeled and printed.

Due to technical difficulties, my printer is shelved... I need to order some new pieces and filament for it. I got some Hatchbox Chinese crap and I'm paying for it big time... so, until the pieces get in, I'll be working on sanding, painting, and mounting some of the other pieces I have done...

Pieces for my Printer should show up today. I've been working on sanding and base-painting some of my smaller pieces over the weekend but unfortunately the Rain in my area got a bit in the way. (don't want to be running a mouse sander in an enclosed garage...) so I've been a bit delayed on that. (still have a TON to do, including some putty and primer work on the Pauldrons and Forearms.) But after looking at some in-game models, I may end up having to do some pretty extensive re-working of the Boot hardware. Nothing too major, just adjusting the placement of the Strap and making new foam templates to smooth the whole thing out...

Here's the in-game boots on Fred-104 vs my boots.
20160311_181002695_iOS.jpg20160309_021744312_iOS.jpg

I'm not entirely convinced that the spacing will be catastrophic when the Shin armor is put on, so I'm going to leave the boots as is for now and really REALLY hoping that I don't have to do a lot of re-working because I'm pretty happy with how they sit now... They click a little bit when I walk, but some extra foam on the bottom portions where the contact is can fix that really quick.

And is it just me, or do Spartans have really small feet for being 7 feet tall?

I'm ~5'7", and those feet look the same size as mine in sneakers. (9.5), boots I wear a 10-10.5, and the boots I have are 11s. It just throws me all off when I see Spartans with baby feet. you'd expect them to be wearing size 17's or something.

Also, I'm well anticipating comments along the lines of "Aren't you a little short for a Spartan?" at my first con... DAMN MY SHORT STATURE!

I think it depends on the Spartan shoe-design.
While Fred's and Chief's shoes look smaller, by design Scout shoes look bigger.
I can't say anything in the matter - I'm short 5'2" and I have very big feet - 40-41 size, which is between 9-9.5... sometimes it could be bigger... I'm a hobbit. ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back