Mass Effect Quarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you looked at the MCU-2P Gas Mask? the outer Visor is shaped simular to a Quarian Face shield. I saw one on Ebay for about $15. They also so come tinted as well
060721-N-9851B-005thumb.jpg

[/quote]

Thanks. That looks sweet. Might grab one and play it.

JUICE said:
A little tip on the unfolding, seperate and join the faces in the model space instead of the paper.

Ah. Now, I didn't know that you could do that. I will remember that next time. Too bad I didn't see this post before I had printed it all out.

I had some extra time this weekend, so I decided to remodel the helmet a bit to make it simplier. I then put this new model into pepakura and unfolded it. Looks a bit better this time. Printed it off too. It will be interesting to see how it will come together. Won't be able to post pics of the construction until next weekend. Seem to have misplaced the memory card for my camera.

[attachment=12218:Tali-helmet-take-two.jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, this looks awesome! I'm set to build a Tali costume after my next costume build is done, and hopefully gather a Mass Effect group to go to a convention together later on. And I know what you mean about the other Tali costumes, so far I've seen the girl on Cosplay.com, and she wasn't bad, but..yeah. And one orange Tali with a group but her costume looked terrible...I can't wait to see yours done!

Soul-Drinker said:
Ah, this looks awesome! I'm set to build a Tali costume after my next costume build is done, and hopefully gather a Mass Effect group to go to a convention together later on. And I know what you mean about the other Tali costumes, so far I've seen the girl on Cosplay.com, and she wasn't bad, but..yeah. And one orange Tali with a group but her costume looked terrible...I can't wait to see yours done!

Thanks! Good luck on yours too.

I'm trying to get my brother to do one of the other characters so that we at least have two Mass Effect people when we go to a convention with this later.

Update: Got most of the helmet built. Will post pictures when I get home this weekend. Looks like it fits so far.

Note to self: Learn how to unfold better so you don't try to kill self with exacto knife during next build.

Probably a little late to post this but increase the minimum fold angle for a smooth unfold. The one you have still has a lot of polys you probably don't want to fold and it will save a lot of bondo work.

this will be a thread i'm going to watch

what I wanna see is you model the shins I think they look the coolest though i'm not sure how easy they would be to walk in

Here's another pep update. I know I said I would put up some pics of the pepped helmet, but I've been getting a bunch of advise on unfolding and had to try it out again. Looks like I'm going to be printing out another copy. lol

Thanks to everyone who offered up advice and the willingness to even unfold it themselves. I'd rather not have to go that road. Not that I don't like you all, I'd just like to say that I created this build from model, to pep, to finish. I'm just weird like that. If it comes down to it, I will ask for assistance though.

For this unfold, I took the advise to unfold by using the 3D side as well as set the hidden fold angle to 165 and erase any unneeded fold lines. It looks so much better now! Still not perfect, but I'm much happier with it. Doesn't look as evil.

Also, you might note that the circular respirator part isn't included anymore, at least parts of it. I've decided to just use a preexisting one from my own respirator.

My brother is also being generous and has declared that I might be able to use some of his smoothcast instead of having to glass the thing. Not sure if I'm going to take him up on his offer...

Take-three.jpg

moonwildflower you wouldn't happen to have the pdo file itself would you? I would love to try building it

Long overdue update:

School has been consuming my life, so I just managed to get the helmet pepped. I actually went back again and added some more detail to the helmet model and made sure it was more game accurate. The unfolding went sooo much smoother this time, thanks to all those who gave me suggestions.

The next step is to smoothcast it and then begin sanding.

Oh, as for the pdo file, I will release it in the future after I debut this entire cosplay at Ikkicon.

Ahh! Looks awesome so far, keep it up! I cannot wait to do my Tali costume...And I wanted to get some of my friends to dress up with me too, so I wouldn't be alone at a convention.

Update time!

Finally found the time to get to the next step. Smoothcasting! I'm so glad that I found out about this stuff. When working on my spartan armor, I found the glassing to be the most irritiating part. Now, I can take an hour or so, smoothcast, and then get on with the detailing.... Which will have to wait till next weekend.

While pepping, I tried to seal all of the holes as best I could, but you can see that some of the smoothcast found it's way out. lol

SC-Helmet-3.jpg

SC-Helmet-2.jpg

SC-Helmet-1.jpg

As for the visor, I think I'm going to go the vac formed route.

Wow, you really poured it in there in the back. How heavy is that sucker?

Also, to cut down on leaks, I suggest painting fiberglass resin over the pep before smoothcast. The FG keeps the smoothcast from soaking through the paper (It looks like most of your "leaks" are actually areas where the casting resin fully impregnated the paper, rather than actual holes).

Achille said:
Wow, you really poured it in there in the back. How heavy is that sucker?

Also, to cut down on leaks, I suggest painting fiberglass resin over the pep before smoothcast. The FG keeps the smoothcast from soaking through the paper (It looks like most of your "leaks" are actually areas where the casting resin fully impregnated the paper, rather than actual holes).

I think it's about 5 pounds at least. lol. But yeah, I did layer it alot in the back portion because I plan on doing some heavy duty sanding back there. When I'm done, it won't be as thick.

I usually use resin before I smoothcast, but am on a time crunch, and it's been raining and cold. I don't mind all the leaks really. I've got a new sander. lol

Achille said:

moonwildflower said:
I usually use resin before I smoothcast, but am on a time crunch, and it's been raining and cold. I don't mind all the leaks really. I've got a new sander. lol

Actually, when I smooth cast my stuff, I do it directly on the paper, no resin coats. So long as your initial batches are small, the SC soaks into the paper, but not through it. Also cuts down on the warping if you aren't doing large batches all at once. After a few coats, one section at a time, the pep should be strong enough to handle larger batches. Hope that helps for any future pieces.

EDIT:

As for plugging up the holes, I just dab spots of white glue on the holes, and that seems to work out just fine for me. Doing it this way, I generally only get spills if I'm not careful and the SC flows out over the side rather than through any leaks, but masking tape dams to extend/close up openings should minimize this as well.

Update post: Spent the morning sanding the helmet. Had a good run with the dremel, taking off all the unneeded sharp edges. Would have used the power sander, but my brother used all the sand paper and didn't bother to replace any of it.

The shape is starting to get to where I want it, though there is alot of sanding still in my future. And bondo.

Detailing-2.jpg

Detailing-1.jpg

Sorry for the double post, but it's an update post. I promise!

Found some time before turkey to do some sanding. Took a bunch off of the back to get less of a bug shape. Used bondo and spot filler in the appropriate places. Even had some sand paper. Started with 80 grit and made my way up to 220. Coated it with some primer so I could see the overall shape better.

Primer-3.jpg

Primer-1.jpg

looking good, i loved mass effect (beat it 63 times just wanted to randomly add that haha) looks like its gonna turn out quite well, well good luck on tali armour

//Jeremy

Update time!

Sorry about the big gap in time. A convention came and went, along with another costume, and I'm in my final year at college, so the projects are taking over.

Ahem. I have managed to do some more sanding and shaping of the helmet. I've also reinforced the visor area in preperation for removal so I can use it for vacume forming a visor. I might have a place to do it at too. Still need to check with person.

After much consideration and finishing the game, I've also decided to switch to the ME2 version of Tal'i. It looks so much cooler than her first, plus her proportions aren't as out of wack. This also means the degree of difficulty increases.

I think it will just look that much cooler in the end.

Pics when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back